Bruce Jenner's Decathlon Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Jenner's Decathlon Game

Discussing Daley Thompson in the Olympic Games thread reminds me of this game me and my friends were obsessed with for a while: The Bruce Jenner decathlon game.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic16480_lg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	264174

The trickiest to simulate was the throwing events. You had to flick a small plastic yellow disc against the taut elastic band you see at the near edge of the board, and hopefully it would rebound into one of the furthest green sections on the field to give you the most points. Flick it too lightly, and it would barely rebound, and you'd score only a few points. Flick it too hard, it would bounce out of the field and you got no points at all.

We held entire Olympic Games using this! We created our own Olympic teams with made up names - every Russian was called '-ski', and then celebrities of each nationality ended up getting called up, so Sweden would be represented by Bjorn and Benny from Abba, France by Jean-Michel Jarre etc. Mystifyingly, I definitely remember 'Kenny Lynch' representing the UK in the pole vault or something!

Re: Bruce Jenner's Decathlon Game

never heard of this game before.
    did you get it for your birthday or did you or your parents buy it.

dont blame you for giving people mde up names.
    russian ukranian names are a bit tough to pronounce.

was it actually called bruce jenner's decathlon game.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
      never heard of this game before.
      did you get it for your birthday or did you or your parents buy it.

was it actually called bruce jenner's decathlon game.
      Found the piccie on Google, it was the Bruce Jenner Decathlon game. I didn't have it, one of my friends brought it in on 'bring your own games' day on the last day of term in 1980 (Olympic year!) and about four of us became obsessed with it, playing it at each others houses during the holidays. We had score books (old exercise books) and everything! We played the game at each other's houses, which would be designated the host city. I recall my house doubled up for Amsterdam (lol, dunno why!) and I had a team of made up Dutch bods like van der Flute, and Father Abraham made an appearance as well! It's all coming back, we used to have enough fun in the 80s without Facebook and phones!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
        We used to just put 'ski' onto the end of normal names, and people we knew. So it was like 'Johnski' and 'Markski'. I think Lenin and Stalin were all running as well.

Comment

Working...
        X