Future nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future nostalgia

Can you imagine what nostalgia will be like for our children? What are their memories of 2012 going to be like ? Imagine it... "do you remember when the iPhone 4 was launched?" "yeah, with Siri! The first thing to really talk back to you" "and now everything does..." (Chas is interrupted by his underpants announcing that he really should change them as he's had them on for 28 hours) lol.

Is there anything you are doing to prepare for that future nostalgia? Photos of your town, or putting together current tv footage? I'm stashing away NIB toys on a regular basis as a bit of a side investment. When a shop reduces a name brand toy eg Night Garden down to 75% off I'll buy one to put in the loft. My nostalgia has lead me to understand what toys I used to own are now worth, and I can see my three kids getting a decent return from the contents of the loft in twenty years.

So any other ideas on how to help our kids with their future nostalgia for childhood?
    I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Re: Future nostalgia

I was pondering this the other day and came up with a few things that I think the 00's and 10's will be noted for. Off the top of my head, digital cameras, ipod/pad, E readers, Facebook, Youtube etc etc, chip and pin, Ugg boots, Crocs, Bread makers, Reality TV.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Peter Kay does something about this - "You don't know you're born, all we had when we were young was Sky Digital, Playstations, etc..."

Because everything on TV seems to become available on DVD as soon as the series has ended, we already have a record of now for the future. Although, of course, DVDs probably won't be around forever. There are some great books now called the 'Through Time' series (e.g. 'Milton Keynes - Through Time'), which show old photos of views of various towns and villages and compare them to colour photos of the same locations today. I've got one or two similar sort of books made in the early '80s, and the 'now' shots are the most interesting, purely for the '70s and early '80s parked cars that often get into the pictures, as well as the old shop logos, so I imagine the new books will be a great record of now as well.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Bread makers... The 00 version of a fondue set! Let's add in flat screen TVs, online gaming, the Iplayer, and historic businesses failing eg Woolworths. I wonder what the really expensive collectables from the current timeline will be?

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
          Bread makers... The 00 version of a fondue set! Let's add in flat screen TVs, online gaming, the Iplayer, and historic businesses failing eg Woolworths. I wonder what the really expensive collectables from the current timeline will be?
          Indeed. Everyone I knew was clambering for a bread maker a few years ago. It wasn't long before they were all complaining about this hulking great thing taking up space, having to go out and buy all the ingredients, getting up early to set the thing up and coping with loaves that go hard in 24 hours.

Other things for the future nostalgia list:- energy saving bulbs, LEDs (use in car and traffic lights and electronic things), the gradual decline of bright orange sodium street lights, nail and hair extentions, fake tan, hair straighteners.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Internet shopping.
            Facebook.
            Twitter.
            The financial crisis.
            The rise of online gaming.
            Hacking scandals.
            Closures of news papers.
            Analogue TV closes.
            The rise of the MP3 over the demise of the CD.
            The death of videotape and rise of DVD.
            High definition visual entertainment.
            Home surround sound.
            The advent of broadband internet.
            Sports teams 'buying' success.
            The war on terror.
            Deaths of high profile 'enemies' of the West, Saddam Hussein, Bin Laden, Gadaffi, Jong Ill etc.
            Deaths of celebs, ranging from from Michael Jackson to Jimmy Saville.
            Reality TV's rise and fall, along with the celebrities it gave us.
            Celebrity sex tapes being leaked.
            Christmas number 1's being protest songs.
            American import shows having great impact on UK TV.
            Petrol costing so little.
            Natural disasters, the Boxing day tsunami, floods of Australia, quakes in Turkey, hurricanes that flattened most of New Orleans, the Japanese quake that resulted in tsunami's and a near nuclear meltdown, not forgetting the UK's own quakes and weather problems with snow.
            The volcano in Iceland that stopped international travel.
            Concorde being withdrawn from service.
            Everything that once had buttons being replaced with touchscreens.
            The UK riots.
            UK citizens leaving for other English speaking countries.
            Adverts having people living in perfectly white houses with nothing out of place.
            Nintendo's massive success in getting casual gamers on board.
            Nokia phones going from must haves to nothings.
            Being phones up 20 times a day from people trying to flog you stuff.
            TV indents on every program.
            Cash for gold.

There's probably loads more too.

Comment

Hmmm perhaps we'd better try to think of some good things! History will definitely see fake tan and hair extensions unfavourably!

HD television, online shopping, the app store, Skype, and I think the Kinect in particular will be a bit of tech that influences future technology. I thought it was rubbish when it was launched! Interesting that there's no real big music movement this Century (yet)

Comment

I very rarely go out without my camera so I'm constantly taking pics of street scenes, town views, etc. Being the history buff that I am I seem to feel a need to "record history", as it were.

Comment

The Costa Concordia disaster ( boat)
                  Whitney houston dead (2012)
                  london riots august (2011)
                  Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II (2012)

Muammar Gaddafi dead

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

As it happens Gadaffi dying made my Dad nostalgic, he lived in Tripoli when Gadaffi came to power (RAF kid) and spent much of the week he died telling us that he was shocked and that he thought Gadaffi was "a really good bloke"!

Comment

Good thread but anything non 70s to 90s should be discussed here in the Members' Lounge.
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

As it happens Gadaffi dying made my Dad nostalgic, he lived in Tripoli when Gadaffi came to power (RAF kid) and spent much of the week he died telling us that he was shocked and that he thought Gadaffi was "a really good bloke"!
                        that does shock me your dad thinking he was good.
                        although as your dad lived there he has a better view of what went on than thopse who just see news reports.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Can you imagine what nostalgia will be like for our children? What are their memories of 2012 going to be like ? Imagine it... "do you remember when the iPhone 4 was launched?" "yeah, with Siri! The first thing to really talk back to you" "and now everything does..." (Chas is interrupted by his underpants announcing that he really should change them as he's had them on for 28 hours) lol.

Is there anything you are doing to prepare for that future nostalgia? Photos of your town, or putting together current tv footage? I'm stashing away NIB toys on a regular basis as a bit of a side investment. When a shop reduces a name brand toy eg Night Garden down to 75% off I'll buy one to put in the loft. My nostalgia has lead me to understand what toys I used to own are now worth, and I can see my three kids getting a decent return from the contents of the loft in twenty years.

So any other ideas on how to help our kids with their future nostalgia for childhood?
                          great stuff there mate.
                          as i myself am into collecting retro type things.

future nostalgia could be the very sad death of whitney houston.
                          in terms of technology im not really to sure possibly something sports related.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            that does shock me your dad thinking he was good.
                            although as your dad lived there he has a better view of what went on than thopse who just see news reports.
                            It shocked me too, my Dad has no interest in politics or current events, I guess its a reflection on how Libya was pre-Gadaffi? Kind of like how we as a nation were chuffed to have Tony Blair at first, even if his 'breath of fresh air' turned into more of a stale fart lol! I remember reading that after the US forces overthrew Saddam Hussein they took a poll 18 months on asking who the Iraqis wanted for their leader and a majority wanted Saddam back.

Comment

Here's a list of things from the last 10 years or so:

The Office & Extra, plus the rise of Ricky Gervais

Spaced & other "cult tv" of the era

Alistair McGowan's The Big Impression & Dead Ringers

Sacha Baron Cohen's trilogy of Ali G, Borat & Bruno

Sex In The City, Desperate Housewives & Ugly Betty

Pirates of the Caribbean

Harry Potter books & films

Legally Blond & Reese Witherspoons rise up the A list

Bridget Jones's Diary & a new generation of chick lit & flicks

Suduko

The Da Vinci Code & Dan Brown's other works

Certain websites coming in & out of fashion

The constant change of mobile phones

Little Britain & the rise of Matt Lucas & David Walliams

Look Around You

Watching Who Do You Think You Are mostly to see celebs get tearful

Life On Mars & Ashes To Ashes

House

Going to see the lastest Aardman or Pixar film & trying to buy up all the spin off Memorabilia.

The change of games consoles from PS2, Xbox & Gamecube to PS3, X360 & Wii.

Fashion shows hosted by Gok Wan, & Trinny & Suzannah.

8 out of 10 Cats & the rise of Jimmy Carr.

Smart Cars.

Crazy Frog.

Disney Princess & Fairy ranges.

Cup Cakes & Silicone bakewear.

The spread of Weatherspoons & other chain pubs.

USB connectors becoming standard for almost all computer connections.

The On Digital - ITV Digital - Freeview shuffle.

Gavin & Stacey.

Dave Gorman's shows & spin-off books.

High School Musical & Glee.

The ups & downs of verious celebs.

Chain coffee shops on almost every inner city street corner.

Destiny's Child & Beyonce Knowles rise to mega stardom.

Singers appealing to 2 generations (Dido, Norah Jones, Adele etc).

Gorillaz.

The IT Crowd.

Black Books.

Seth McFarlane's trilogy, Family Guy - American Dad - The Cleveland Show.

BBC4 Drama Documentries.

Bad Girls.

Meerkats.

Getting hooked on 24 or Lost.

Celeb chefs like Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson & Gordon Ramsey.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X