Heinz ravioli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heinz ravioli

I hadn't thought about this for years but it crossed my mind the other day as I quite fancied some! Those little crimped squares of mushy meat were a staple of my childhood but I don't think I've seen the tins in the shops for years either. Can you still get it?

On a similar note, I've been looking for pudding macaroni too but I can't find that either. My mam used to get boxes of dry macaroni to make into milk puddings (looked like little pipes). I've tried it with 'normal' macaroni but it doesn't taste the same
    1976 Vintage

Re: Heinz ravioli

Yes you can still get Heinz Ravioli in a tin. I had it about a month ago
    Heather

Comment

Both still available in shops. Ambrosia make the macaroni in tins. Heinz do a few types of ravioli now. I used to love tinned ravioli as a kid, can't stand it now!
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Oh I know all about the Ambrosia macaroni -mmm it's fantastic and much better than their rice IMO, except it's little hoops which is just wrong! Macaroni should be pipes and it's the dried desert pipey macaroni that I'm after.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

One thing from my childhood in a tin that I haven't eaten for years is meatballs!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
            One thing from my childhood in a tin that I haven't eaten for years is meatballs!
            Loved those, still like them but not as much as I did as a kid, you can get them in Tomato Sauce, Gravy and Onion Gravy these days !!
            Heather

Comment

Mmmmm....ravioli in tins - cold, straight out of the tin, on hot buttered toast. That'll do for me, thank you. I remember the Campbell's tinned meatballs too...anyone remember Goblin beefburgers in a tin? Had a texture quite unlike real beefburgers, but they were somehow addictive. haven't seen them in the shops for years, but there's a cafe here in the East End of London that serves them without accreditation as hamburgers in their lunches. I go back every now and again, just...because. It's REALLY fun taking my American wife, and getting her to try stuff like that, cos at the start, she's all "You British are perverts when it comes to food, ya know that?", but after a few stolen mouthfuls, she's saying "Dammit...I don't like this, but I can't stop eating it...how sick is that?!"

Want to introduce her to Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding next. She'll go nuts...

Comment

I only used to get ravioli at school, since moving into a place of my own I've bought some vac-packed ravioli, but can't find any sauce like the tinned, which isn't so bad.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Falco View Post
                  Mmmmm....ravioli in tins - cold, straight out of the tin, on hot buttered toast. That'll do for me, thank you. I remember the Campbell's tinned meatballs too...anyone remember Goblin beefburgers in a tin? Had a texture quite unlike real beefburgers, but they were somehow addictive. haven't seen them in the shops for years, but there's a cafe here in the East End of London that serves them without accreditation as hamburgers in their lunches. I go back every now and again, just...because. It's REALLY fun taking my American wife, and getting her to try stuff like that, cos at the start, she's all "You British are perverts when it comes to food, ya know that?", but after a few stolen mouthfuls, she's saying "Dammit...I don't like this, but I can't stop eating it...how sick is that?!"

Want to introduce her to Fray Bentos steak and kidney pudding next. She'll go nuts...
                  Does she get you to try things like grits, po boys, cornbread, chowder & other American foods you can't normally get over here?

Comment

Heinz Ravioli! My goodness, that stuff was king when I was a kid, I would have it most days on either toast or crumpets. I would love to know just how many tins I consumed, I did great business for Heinz. Unfortunately though, my love for Heinz Ravioli came to a horrible, horrible, end. I remember having a couple of tins that were absolutely foul, the ravioli itself was just really chewy and the sauce was tasteless and watery. Makes my stomach turn a little when I think about it now but I admit, there have been times when I've thought about going back. Perhaps in honour of this thread I'll go and get a few tins in!

Comment

Yes and no - cornbread is goooooorgrous - and my wife's an eager cook, so she makes her own. Grits were interesting, and tasty, but I could take or leave them. Chowder, notsomuch - am not a terribly big seafood fan. There are thre things my wife really misses, foodwise, that you can't get over here. One is half and half - though as the name suggests, that's easy to fake. The other is Miracle Whip - although I've found that in a couple of places for her - I was popular that weekend ;o) The real killer though is 'proper' sausage. She thinks British sausage 'has the consistency of boneless baby fingers'. There's no real getting away from the fact that one of these days, she's gonna own a sausage-maker, and then I'll never see her again ;o)

Comment

I've tried cornbread & liked it, but found grits a bit tasteless. I'm also not keen on seafood to haven't tried chowder.

There's a few American soft drinks that are hard to find over hear. I was a little surprised to find Root Beer at Asda a few years ago, which luckily they keep in stock.

I've only heard of Mr Pibb through American Dad, I didn't see it the last time I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                          Campbell's meatballs another staple of my youth, I remember the gloopy gravy they were in.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

I had a tin of Buitoni ravioli when I was a kid and one of them had the back end of an earwig sticking out of the pasta. A rep from buitoni came round to see us and asked if it could have possibly been in the pan and not the tin until we showed him, even he had to admit it must have happened during manufacture. We then seemed to live on all things Buitoni for weeks because they left us boxes of spaghetti, ravioli and melba toast.

My favourite when I was younger though was Goblin meat puddings.
                            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Heinz ravioli - its making me feel sick just thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X