First Video recorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Video recorder?

My first video recorder was a rental, the rental shop tried to get us to have a Phillips 2000 video;-)
    But we went for VHS as the shop had more VHS tapes than betamax, they only had a couple
    of the Philips things! The first video I watched was caddy shack.

In 1970 or 1971 a school friend, flash kid who's family owned a small hotel, had
    a video. We used to go round and watch stuff played fast, slow or backwards.
    never mind watching programs;-)
    Last edited by grhaffdd; 24-05-2011, 03:31.

Re: First Video recorder?

The Ferguson videostar
    sigpic

Comment

My parents waited until late 1987 to get one, after prices came down & VHS won the format war.

It was an Amstrad 4600, which lasted until 2004.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Early '80s top loading VHS panasonic (with free blank tape) on rental. Firt legal video? An American Werefolf In London then a pirate of mad max 2.
        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

First Video the family hired was a Sharp VC381H in 1983. The first thing I recorded was 'The Final Countdown' starring Kirk Douglas. The tape lasted until I finally disposed of my VHS collection two years ago.
          I then purchased a Ferguson Videostar 3V48 in 1986 which provided sterling service until about 2006 when the drivebelts finally gave up.
          I finally purchased a JVC HRD960EK Editing deck in 1992. I still have it but it was nowhere near as reliable, having been repaired twice.

Comment

My uncle bought us a Hitachi top-loader second-hand around 1986. He couldn't get it to tune in to out ancient TV set but somehow I got the hang of it. The first thing I taped was Cyndi Lauper singing "Change of Heart" on a battle-ship surrounded by young sailors! Then just by chance Kate Bush came on with her fantastic video "Experiment IV". I've still got that tape....and all my other VHS tapes from the 80's.....the playback quality is still excellent after two and a half decades!

Comment

I was late in getting one,not sure of the year,late '80's anyway.We got a top loading Betamax,cos my dad's cousin had one,we used to borrow all his copied videos.

tulip

Comment

Ferguson Videostar.

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post

Ferguson Videostar.
                  Only just come across this thread. Yes, it was this one for us too, and the first thing I recorded was Doctor Who - The Leisure Hive.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	70154_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	259981This is what we had.Think the first thing I watched was ET!

tulip

Comment

Originally posted by grhaffdd View Post
                      In 1970 or 1971 a school friend, flash kid who's family owned a small hotel, had
                      a video. We used to go round and watch stuff played fast, slow or backwards.
                      never mind watching programs;-)

Phew ... bet it was sensational at the time for you to know of hmm? I was'nt even born then but I can not of ever envisaged anyone owning a VCR in them day's par American's ... they must easily of been about £1000 in them day's! Back to the videos them-selves - I think it'd be about 1986 we first got our's at home - they sure are not made that way anymore to last! I think that that one finaly packed up about 1991 then the we had 1 from 1994 that provided many year's of sterling service for easily another 4/5 years!

Comment

A domestic video recorder features in Desmond Bagley's 1969 novel The Spoliers. Some part of the heroes' plan.

Comment

Originally posted by willpurry View Post
                          A domestic video recorder features in Desmond Bagley's 1969 novel The Spoliers. Some part of the heroes' plan.
                          I have never heard of the novel sorry! American i'd bet, yes?

Comment

ME TOO......E.T.on pirate about 1981 on our feguson videostar at 1 o'clock in the morning...ALL HAIL THE VIDEO RECORDER..the internet of the 80's lol.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ferguson3v29.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	259993

This was our first vhs video recorder which we got in october 1982.it came with a 30 minute vhs blank which i recorded jasper carrot on.I think my first movie recording was from russia with love.Blank 3 hour video casettes were quite expensive i think a 3hr tape was over £5 from baskills.I can remember buying a few ex-rental films within a short period of them coming out to rent they were expensive.Got hundreds of video cassettes ,but i replaced them with updated copies.dvd etc.Vhs casettes look masive these days.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X