Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promoted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promoted!

I can remember when (I was still young-ish) that Teams like Cambridge Utd with Dion Dublin as their star player got Promoted to Championship Level, plus TEams like Peterborough had a 2 year spell there in the early 90s!! Barry Fry and Southend achieved wonders at that level for about 5 Seasons, Brentford had 1 year there too as well as Notts County swiftly speeding through the Leauges to the old Division One and going back down just as fast!!

Somehow now, I doubt these day's will ever happen again (or half as much), but for the spirit of Fooball, I dearly do hope thing's happen again as so though

Re: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promted!

There's been a few smaller teams recently that have had a good spell & being premoted, sometimes with a year or 2 in the top division.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promted!

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      There's been a few smaller teams recently that have had a good spell & being premoted, sometimes with a year or 2 in the top division.
      Yeah true Richard. Blackpool, Reading and Swansea and the most amazing one Imho Bradford City in 1999/2000. Everyone know's what they were doing that day Bradford created the miracle of all miracles and not just "overhauled" Wimbledon and relegated them in the process but won against the odds at home to Liverpool to stay up.

I just hope next season they are not the first team to go from the Premiership to the Blue Square Premier in such little time at all.

Comment

Re: 1/2 Season hit wonder football teams who got Promoted!

Oldham had a good run in the early 90's. They're traditionally a division three/four team but between 1990-94 they were promoted to the premier league, got to two FA Cup semi-finals and a Runner-up spot in the league cup.

I think it was mostly down to their plastic pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Avahi1057 View Post
          Oldham had a good run in the early 90's. They're traditionally a division three/four team but between 1990-94 they were promoted to the premier league, got to two FA Cup semi-finals and a Runner-up spot in the league cup.

Yeah loosing the last Cup Semi Final sadly finished their tenure in the Premier I think it'd be fair to say possibly

Comment

My team was a one season wonder in League 2 and in typical City fashion struggled to get out. Don't wanna go back. Happy being top thanks.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Swansea. John Toshack. Flew too close to the flames.....

I think it was 81/82 ish, basically Tosh recruited a load of grizzled old pros (Bob Latchford, Ray Kennedy) who stormed the Div One table for a year. Then it all went wrong, I guess the old pros got older, poor RK was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and the Swans sank. Down to Div 4 and nearly out of the League altogether only a few years later.

In the sixties Northampton went from Div Four to Div One and back again in the space of 9 years.....

Comment

Tosh seemed to buy in a few other old friends from Liverpool as well as Ray Kennedy, Tommy Smith & Ian Callaghan come to mind.

Southampton had a similar team at the time, but also brought in some youngsters to make it a "Dad's Army" style lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollingstone43 View Post

I think it was 81/82 ish, basically Tosh recruited a load of grizzled old pros (Bob Latchford, Ray Kennedy) who stormed the Div One table for a year. Then it all went wrong, I guess the old pros got older, poor RK was diagnosed with Parkinson's, and the Swans sank. Down to Div 4 and nearly out of the League altogether only a few years later.

In the sixties Northampton went from Div Four to Div One and back again in the space of 9 years.....
                  Yes I recall Northampton's finest hour. They played in mauve and white if IRC.

Carlisle came up in the early 70's didn't they ?

Of course there's Swindon who got promoted to the Prem/1st Division......they even beat Spurs too. But then everybody does don't they ?

Comment

Swindon would have been in the top division in 1990/1 but were banned from being premoted after it was found they had made illegal payments to players.

Comment

Swindon did make the top level a year or so later only to be relegated straight away. At championship level there are still some smaller clubs making it there, look at Yeovil, Bournemouth and Donny,

Comment

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post
                        Yes I recall Northampton's finest hour. They played in mauve and white if IRC.

Carlisle came up in the early 70's didn't they ?
                        I have heard about the Carlisle story" many times - they were top of the old original Division One (before it became the Premier Leauge) in the September or real early in their only season but could not maintain the form sadly.

Portsmouth also had one Season in the old Division One in he 1980s too after being so so close on many occasion so often missing out - I recall they had a great team in that era. Another Team was Middlesbrough who went up from Division 3 to Division 1 from 1987 to 1989 and nearly completed the "round trip" in equal time by just avoiding relegation in 1989/1990 from the old Division 2 then Middlesbrough had a similar spell as sounder Premier Leauge members in 1992/1993 before being relegated again after one season.

Comment

Originally posted by Avahi1057 View Post

True, agreed - tthey had a good team in that era no doubts!!

I think though they sure are intent on claiming the "Longest Serving Tennacy of any Division of recen times" with their curret 3rd tier spell on it's 20th con-current year/season!!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            Swindon would have been in the top division in 1990/1 but were banned from being premoted after it was found they had made illegal payments to players.
                            They had a good side and Mangers over that 4 year spell regardless I recall Richard - what with Glenn Hoodle and Lou Marcai and fraser Digby on Goal

I can still vivdly recall the furore their immediate banning of being in the old D1 caused - it wrecked pre-season fixtures so bad there was quite a lot of talk of Sheffierld Wed going straight down to the old 3rd Division before Swindon was allolwed (wrongly i think) to remain in D2 and by the end of Season 1990-91 they finished 4th or 5th from the bottom and only very narrowly avoided Relegation back to D3 due to re-structuring of the old D1 and it's knock on effects! I believe that was the season too that it came down to a tussle between Leicester or West Brom having their first ever Season in the old 3rd and it was West Brom who took the un-fortunate honour with it happening for Leicester 17 years later in the 2007 to 2008! season

Comment

Originally posted by Rollingstone43 View Post

The Northampton story is a great one - one of my Aunties and Uncles live there and he has recited it a fair few times and often said before then they were basically a rubboish Team and so have been ever after (in terms at least of never escaping the Bottom 2 Divisions - either way)

The sad thing for northampton was - I am sure they lost out by two points or something very near/or similar (and if it was'nt for bad speells may just even of sneaked a 2nd Season in the old First - due to only 2 being Relegated until the 1970s!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X