Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Shop's

Not JJB etc.

I used to love when there was independent Sports Shop's before all the big names took over and you could find Sportswear that was'nt the norm as such.
    Scarborough in the early 80s/90s had a few such great places I fondly recall. I just hope they may may a comeback, though I doubt it a lot though sadly :cry:

80sChav

Re: Sports Shop's,not JJB

we had a sports store called intersport.i assume thats independant.

i think it was around 15 yrs since it was here in my town.

it sold everything you could want.

bought many things from it dartboard, a gym etc.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Re: Sports Shop's

There was an independent sports shop in our town but it closed down a good 30 years ago.

In the 80s there was a sports shop in Rhyl called Clwyd Sports. I used to go in there when on holiday. I don't know if it is still there.

Comment

There was an independent Sports Shop in the village where I grew up, I remember buying a tracksuit from there, a generic one. Oh and a sports bag.

Comment

We just a new sports shop start up intersport,

well its a new intersport store.

The old in my town closed down around late nineties didnt think it would come back.

Always thought it was one of the very best it sold footie stuff as well as rugby, cricket and even darts and dartboards.
          Darts where in a glass box,prob for safety reasons.

Comment

Same here - I thought that Intersport was one of the best too Darren - but we don't have them in my area no more

I found them a tad pricey , yeah - but qaulity-wise the things they had including Football Stuff was in another Leauge (to pardon the pun), especially say compared to say Sports Direct

80sChav

Comment

I suppose Whiteley's in Piccadilly Circus is independent (though huge)...
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Sorry mispost
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

A bit pricey but u dont mind if the product is off a high standard.

I just wonder did intersport go bankrupt when my old store closed or did it simply close.

I remember getting tons of weights from the shop.

Originally posted by 80schav View Post
                  same here - i thought that intersport was one of the best too darren - but we don't have them in my area no more

i found them a tad pricey , yeah - but qaulity-wise the things they had including football stuff was in another leauge (to pardon the pun), especially say compared to say sports direct

80schav

Comment

We had Don Valley Sports, Sugg Sports and Midwood Sports back in the 70's - 80's

Comment

The only time I used to go into a sports shop was for fishing tackle. Many of the old sports shops had a small fishing section tucked away somewhere usually ran by some old boy. Nowadays they seem to be all trendy trainers.

These days I'm too unfit to go into one. I break out in a sweat just looking at the mannequins wearing all that sporty stuff. Besides I'll probably end up crawling out on all fours after dealing with the energetic staff. Must admit our local sports shop (part of a big chain) tends to employ all youth and energy with no brains.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                        The only time I used to go into a sports shop was for fishing tackle. Many of the old sports shops had a small fishing section tucked away somewhere usually ran by some old boy. Nowadays they seem to be all trendy trainers.

These days I'm too unfit to go into one. I break out in a sweat just looking at the mannequins wearing all that sporty stuff. Besides I'll probably end up crawling out on all fours after dealing with the energetic staff. Must admit our local sports shop (part of a big chain) tends to employ all youth and energy with no brains.
                        This is true abouy them all being Trainers I think Batty

Living on the Coast for most of my Teenage years we had a fair few Sports Shops that ecomposed Fishing stuff (and though I am not going to mention thisd Resort's name, as it was not the best Seaside Town even then by a long, long way) when I go back now and see that area that was Semi-decent at the time and not full of Seaside Shops (as it was just outside Town) but was fairly decent and seeing now the utter rubbish Shop's in that area and nr the old Sports Shop I am thinking of, truly wants to make me cry thinking of the decline of just that stretch of Road alone!!

80sChav

Comment

In Cinderford Forest of Dean Gloucestershire UK we had an independent sports shop just like we had an independent record/musical instrument shop where they sold that weeks top 40 records 10p cheaper than Woolworths
                          sigpic
                          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                            In Cinderford Forest of Dean Gloucestershire UK we had an independent sports shop just like we had an independent record/musical instrument shop where they sold that weeks top 40 records 10p cheaper than Woolworths
                            True yeah Twocky - when I lived nr the Coast we had a similar Sports Shop!

It is amazing how they can compete with the Big Name Chasins when they want I think - just like any of type of Shop can when needed too

Comment

I was only thinking about this yesterday/the other - as a friend has gone on Holiday and it is a long time since i went to that Town myself - so as I often do, I use the marvel that is google earth to investigate places and "low and behold" i found a tiny Sports direct there , that was obviously one shop at one point!

To think - I thought - how they rule now and buy stuff in, in bulk and most of it is rubbish qaulity - which some Boots/trainers reduced 3 times from £74 would/will testify as leaking (mildly!! What a joke!!

Now it is all mass produced like Food and made en-bulk - though it was before (but as a family member who's relatives used to work as a machinest/clothes maker for M&S, I can see how things have gone down the swanny "amazing style" re standard of clothes-making from the story's (well they are real - if am honest and not story's) about the standards M&S required "back in the day"!

Now to think - the only competition (par Market Stall Sportts Shops) which I still know of a few - Sports Direct has no competition, par JD Sports and when you think there was First Sports, Sports Soccer (or similar) Whites (who Sports Direct bought out), J.J.B, and they've all gone!

It is like Football in the SPL now I feel (a 2 Horse Rcae and nothing else), - like all shops are - right down to electrical stuff - re the old Dixon's/Curry's! Though the Internet is a marvel, it has a lit to answer/testify to I think!

80sChav
                              Last edited by 80sChav; 13-03-2018, 12:02.

Comment

Working...
                              X