No announcement yet.

ET / breakfast cereal tie-in promotion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ET / breakfast cereal tie-in promotion?

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on movies , but I guess this makes more sense.

I'm trying to remember a breakfast cereal that had some tie-in with the movie ET. For some reason I have a feeling it was weetabix but I might be totally wrong on that.

What I remember in particular was that on the back of the cereal box was a cartoon rendering of scenes from the movie. The scene in particular was the bit at the end of the movie where they're in the forest and ET's space ship comes back to pick him up.

I've checked the release date of ET (dec 82) but for some bizarre reason I have a feeling this box would have existed slightly earlier (like maybe Spring 82) so I've no idea why they'd be promoting a movie that wasn't coming out for another 9 months, but there you go.

Could anyone help me out to track down an answer for this one? Googling cereal/weetabix et etc isn't turning up anything. Thanks.

Re: ET / breakfast cereal tie-in promotion?

Was it the Shreddies one, pictured at top of this thread?

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...ghlight=cereal

Comment

American movie companies went through a phase in the first half of the '80s of doing promos for films that were soon to be released, but not out actually at the time- they did the same thing with Ghostbusters about 6 months before it was released, so an ET promo. before the film came out would certainly figure for that period.
      ET has in more recent years also featured in an ad for British Telecom.

Comment

I'm sure Weetabix gave away ET stickers in the late 80s - probably to promote the film on video. I've got some old comics somewhere with adverts for the stickers.
        Edit: I've just seen a box with the stickers freebie in the link above (4th one down).
        Last edited by davidthomas27; 15-03-2012, 11:28.

Comment

Working...
        X