Vintage 1977 star wars figures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage 1977 star wars figures

Just been in the attic (still shaking from the spiders!!) found my old star wars figures and as im due a mid-life crisis im going to use them to start collecting and give myself a hobby. wondered if anyone else has still got their childhood star wars figures and the memories that go with them.

Re: Vintage 1977 star wars figures

My brother still has our collection including the Millenium Falcon, At AT, Scout Walker, Landspeeder, X wing, Darths TIE Fighter and more! Sadly the Death Star(the cardboard UK version) didnt survive!

Comment

cardboard death star why was t made of vardboard.

id have thought it would have been made of hard plastic.[

this collection is it all the first release of the figures ships etc.,

QUOTE=TooSoonTom;165055]My brother still has our collection including the Millenium Falcon, At AT, Scout Walker, Landspeeder, X wing, Darths TIE Fighter and more! Sadly the Death Star(the cardboard UK version) didnt survive![/QUOTE]
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I had the Hoth version of Han Solo, Darth Vader and Boba Fett - my parents got me them at different times but a long ways after the films came out - around 1985 they were...Some kid named Alex at primary school swopped my Action Force Night Patrol for Luke in his black outfit - at the time I really regretted it as the Luke figure was naff...I don't really like original Star Wars figures. I did go through a phase of buying vintage ones though in the 1990s...still got them.

CarpetDragon, if you want them I'll sell you them, PM me...

Comment

I've got my lad into original Star Wars, his bday and xmas pressies are coming off ebay, I figure its a way of getting him cool toys that will be worth a few quid more that I pay for them now in twenty years time. Better than spending £20 on a toy that is instantly worth 50p at the booter

He loves his original Millenium Falcon, probably as much as I do!
          I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I had a couple of figures but somehow missed out on all the big hype during the 70's.I never really got to see the films untill some time in the late 80's on video.I can remember many of my mates having several figures or even a shelf full in one case,but not me.Not even my younger brother had any.For some unknown reason star wars nearly never happened in our household.

Comment

http://www.retrobabble.com/pics/deat...deathstar3.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                I had a couple of figures but somehow missed out on all the big hype during the 70's.I never really got to see the films untill some time in the late 80's on video.I can remember many of my mates having several figures or even a shelf full in one case,but not me.Not even my younger brother had any.For some unknown reason star wars nearly never happened in our household.
                I prefered Action Man, my Mum and Dad liked the Palitoy version so thats another reason I got him, then Dad made the fateful journey to Trents and got me an Action Force figure, then another ON THE SAME DAY - which was rare for him to do so but he was narked at my Sister at having to return a ballerina doll who had a missing shoe, so Star Wars? Pffft...

Comment

I had most of the original release figures, starting in 1979 with Darth Vader, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 for my 11th birthday and then more for birthdays and Christmases up until about 1983 when I decided I was too old for that ****. In the early 90's (now armed with a disposable income) I completed the original collection, mostly the final Power of the Force line that came out after I'd stopped collecting in 83, at ridiculously inflated prices - I remember paying something like $150 for a Yak Face at the time. When they announced a new Kenner line in 95 I got back into it in a big way, buying pretty much every figure, vehicle, playset, etc released up until Revenge of the Sith when I lost interest again. I put the lot up on eBay, made nearly 20 grand and haven't really been interested in Star Wars since. I kept the original 77-85 collection though, more for sentimental reasons than any interest in the films.

sigpic

Comment

Yep,I was also an action man kid.Toy soldiers and lego,went hand in hand with a bag of marbles also.

I still cannot think of why the star wars stuff passed us by.I must of seen it all in the mail order catalogues near christmas at the time.Did I ask for it and was my wish ignored by my parants or did I even bother to look twice at it?.One of the kids who lived next door had one of those big walkers,I think that was the AT-AT.His family moved away about 1978 so If there were any small ambitions to collect they must of fizzled out after my mate moved away.

The strange thing is it does not seem all that long ago to me that old star wars figures were on the shelves in nearly every charity shop,but not any more.I was a righ idiot for not buying them.

Comment

Me & my brother managed to get a fair amount of Star Wars toys from 1982-5. Mostly figures but some of the smaller spaceships.

A lot of friends also collected them.

Eventully a lot went to a school jumble sale (whoops!) but the odd figure managed to survive being tucked away in other toyboxes.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Steveland Cleamer View Post
                        I had most of the original release figures, starting in 1979 with Darth Vader, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 for my 11th birthday and then more for birthdays and Christmases up until about 1983 when I decided I was too old for that ****. In the early 90's (now armed with a disposable income) I completed the original collection, mostly the final Power of the Force line that came out after I'd stopped collecting in 83, at ridiculously inflated prices - I remember paying something like $150 for a Yak Face at the time. When they announced a new Kenner line in 95 I got back into it in a big way, buying pretty much every figure, vehicle, playset, etc released up until Revenge of the Sith when I lost interest again. I put the lot up on eBay, made nearly 20 grand and haven't really been interested in Star Wars since. I kept the original 77-85 collection though, more for sentimental reasons than any interest in the films.
                        Did you turn a profit then? And what do you reckon the lot you sold would be worth now?
                        I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

think i sent a PM!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                            Did you turn a profit then? And what do you reckon the lot you sold would be worth now?
                            I never really kept track of what I spent between 1995 and 2005, but I bought a ridiculous amount of stuff, literally every release in that decade including the 3 3/4 inch figures, 12 inch figures, vehicles, playsets as well as the enormous line of extended universe novels and comics. At a guess I'd say I broke about even, if there was any profit it was minimal.

That said, I reckon I sold it at just the right time. Not that I've followed the market very closely since I lost interest in the collection, but it seems the backside has somewhat fallen out of Star Wars collecting, I think mainly because Hasbro has completely saturated the market with umpteen rereleases and variations of the same figure over and over again. Even the original Kenner figures seem to be available for much less than they were 10 or 15 years ago.
                            Last edited by Steveland Cleamer; 10-04-2012, 11:19.

sigpic

Comment

Either that or plenty of parents of 30 somethings started to clear out their attics & sell of hoarded SW toys.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X