Bit part actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit part actors

Does anyone else have actors that they don't know the name of but keep spotting over the years when they pop up in different things?

I have two. The first I call 'Pie Man' as he was Pie Man in 'Pie in the Sky'. Not the drama with Richard Griffiths but the kid's TV programme from the 80's. The other is 'but I'm a prince!' He was in the 80's viscount biscuit advert and uttered that line. I've see both appear in things like The Bill and Casualty. It was a family joke for a while so if they appeared we'd all shout 'It's Pie Man' or 'Ooo but I'm a prince!"

No idea who they are. Perhaps it's time I found out!
    1976 Vintage

Re: Bit part actors

That bald bloke who was in Nuts in May and recently the funeral director for Pat Butcher in Eastenders - my Sister called him 'Pongy man who appears in everything' and thats how I think of him...then theres that bloke who was in a kids show called 'First til Last' or something like that, he was the Dad, met him at Ealing Station once and he is a really self important berk....

Comment

I've also noticed a few actors who seem to have appeared in lots of things, often small parts, often playing the same sort of character each time.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Lesley Schofield is an actor who i'd call a "Bit Part Actor", I think it is amazing what a Career he has had without ever really being a Central Character to many Programmes. I first off knew of him as Johnny Briggs' Dad in Juohnny Briggs then he appeared in the late 1990s on EastEnders as Mel Healy/Beale/Owen's Dad. Upon watching Clockwise (a favourite all time 80s film I just rate so much), he appears as a Policeman after John Cleese escapes from the Monestry and his ex-girlfriend has taken off with the Car before she is stopped by the Police halfway up the Road!

Comment

Stanley Kubrick often used the same actors in his different films. In "The Shining" there are two Kubrick alumni, Joe Turkel, who played Lloyd the bartender, was also one of the WWI French soldiers executed by firing squad in "Paths of Glory", and Phillip Stone, as Grady the sinister butler, was also Malcolm McDowell's father in "A Clockwork Orange."

Joe Turkel in "The Shining"

In "Paths of Glory" seen here with Richard Anderson (Oscar Goldman from "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman")

Phillip Stone in "The Shining"

"A Clockwork Orange"

Comment

strange you mention leslie as clockwise was on telly over here last night.
            seen it many times and never knew he was in it.
            seen many others i recognise but i never recognised him.

think ill check it out now.
            leslie had a very small bit part role in star wars ep 4 as Chief Bast

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
            Lesley Schofield is an actor who i'd call a "Bit Part Actor", I think it is amazing what a Career he has had without ever really being a Central Character to many Programmes. I first off knew of him as Johnny Briggs' Dad in Juohnny Briggs then he appeared in the late 1990s on EastEnders as Mel Healy/Beale/Owen's Dad. Upon watching Clockwise (a favourite all time 80s film I just rate so much), he appears as a Policeman after John Cleese escapes from the Monestry and his ex-girlfriend has taken off with the Car before she is stopped by the Police halfway up the Road!
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

From memory he was in also Star Wars, the Doctor story "The Face Of Evil" (with other Eastender star Louise Jameston), Blakes 7 & the 2nd Tom in Reggie Perrin.

Doctor Who seemed to have a few actors that would keep turning up, often because they could cope with being made up into various monsters, or were good voice actors supplying alien voices.

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
                Stanley Kubrick often used the same actors in his different films. In "The Shining" there are two Kubrick alumni, Joe Turkel, who played Lloyd the bartender, was also one of the WWI French soldiers executed by firing squad in "Paths of Glory", and Phillip Stone, as Grady the sinister butler, was also Malcolm McDowell's father in "A Clockwork Orange."

Joe Turkel in "The Shining"

In "Paths of Glory" seen here with Richard Anderson (Oscar Goldman from "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman")

Phillip Stone in "The Shining"

"A Clockwork Orange"
                Joe Turkel was also in Blade Runner, once cut of which used some of the opening tracking shots from The Shining.

Comment

Yes I agree about Leslie Schofield. I too first saw him in Johnny Briggs and ever since I have noticed him in other things. Got that sort of face that is easy to recognise.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

All rise for David Hargreaves AKA PIEMAN! Credited with a whopping 85 title entries on the IMDb from 1962 to the present day. And he was married to Chloe 'Playschool' Ashcroft. Well I never!

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (5).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	260077
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

David Hargreaves! Thats a face I remember....lol. Whys he 'PIEMAN'? Philip Stone was very good in A Touch of Frost once...very horrid. Leslie Schofield - saw him recently in VILLAIN (1971) as a Copper with one or two lines...lol. Richard Anderson still looks the same - must have a very good plastic surgeon then lol.

Comment

Clint Eastwood was also known for using the same actors in his films.

William O'Connell (left) & Bill McKinney (right)
                        Bill McKinney -- "The Outlaw Josie Wales", "The Gauntlet", "Bronco Billy", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Any Which Way You Can"
                        William O'Connell -- "Paint Your Wagon", "High Plains Drifter", "The Outlaw Josie Wales", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Any Which Way You Can"

Dan Vadis
                        "High Plains Drifter", "Bronco Billy", "The Gauntlet", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Any Which Way You Can"

John Quade
                        "High Plains Drifter", "The Outlaw Josie Wales", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Any Which Way You Can"

Geoffrey Lewis
                        "High Plains Drifter", "Bronco Billy", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Any Which Way You Can"

Comment

great stuff boys.

i know john wayne was well known for using the same actors in his films.

there where 3 or 4 he used a lot.

cant think of theactors though.

think they where irish.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Bill McKinney's most famous role was the hillbilly in the "Squeal Like A Pig" scene in "Deliverance". Years later McKinney was originally tapped to play Gunnery Sergeant Hartman the drill instructor in "Full Metal Jacket" but the role went to R. Lee Ermey instead because supposedly Stanley Kubrick was "afraid to meet the mountain man from 'Deliverance'". And though she wasn't a bit player in Clint Eastwood's films we can't forget his onetime girlfriend...

Sondra Locke
                            "The Outlaw Josie Wales", "The Gauntlet", "Bronco Billy", "Every Which Way But Loose", "Any Which Way You Can", "Sudden Impact"

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              David Hargreaves! Thats a face I remember....lol. Whys he 'PIEMAN'?
                              http://www.tvcream.co.uk/?p=5462
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X