The Golden Egg Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Egg Restaurants

Who remembers The Golden Egg restaurants? I do. During the mid to late 70s I remember quite a few branches. They had one in North Street Taunton and Middle Street Yeovil. In Bath I can remember two: one just north of the Abbey and one in the old Southgate Shopping Centre.

Some branches had the spoon / egg with an egg on the "bowl" bit and The Golden Egg (mixed case) above the spoon / fork at above the restaurant entrance. Other branches had GOLDEN EGG (capital letters) without the fork and egg.

By around 1980 / 1981 the one in Yeovil had been rebranded Poppins, and the Taunton one must have been taken over by someone else as it had RESTAURANT above the entrance. Does anyone know what exactly happened to The Golden Egg restaurants circa early 1980s. Does anyone know of any other Golden Egg restaurants that became Poppins? Does anyone know the reason behind that? Did something happen that some of The Golden Egg restaurants got taken over by / rebranded Poppins?

July 1998 I happened to be in Slough and saw a The Golden Egg restaurant (with the spoon / fork and egg underneath) there, but didn't go in there for a meal. Evidently they were still going late 1990s, though I've no idea what's happened to that one since. Does The Golden Egg still exist anywhere these days?

Who ate at one? I remember late 70s going with my family to the Yeovil Golden Egg with my family for a meal or just a drink, the place was waitress service.
    I am 13 ... times 4.

Re: The Golden Egg Restaurants

Not a chain I remember from my earliest (early 80's) memories. Was it exclusive to the South?
    1976 Vintage

Comment

There was one in Leeds in the early 70's.

Comment

I remember the one in North Street, Taunton but can't for the life of me remember what happened to it. I will have to ask around.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
          I remember the one in North Street, Taunton but can't for the life of me remember what happened to it. I will have to ask around.
          I'm glad you too remember The Golden Egg in North Street, Taunton. Did you ever eat there when it was The Golden Egg? My family never took me to that branch. That particular one in North Street, Taunton had the spoon / egg with an egg on the "bowl" bit and The Golden Egg (mixed case) above the spoon / fork above the restaurant entrance.

Do you also remember the one in Middle Street, Yeovil, which had GOLDEN EGG (capital letters) without the fork and egg above the entrance. Any reason why the name above the entrance there was in that different style to the Taunton one?
          I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
            I'm glad you too remember The Golden Egg in North Street, Taunton. Did you ever eat there when it was The Golden Egg? My family never took me to that branch. That particular one in North Street, Taunton had the spoon / egg with an egg on the "bowl" bit and The Golden Egg (mixed case) above the spoon / fork above the restaurant entrance.

Do you also remember the one in Middle Street, Yeovil, which had GOLDEN EGG (capital letters) without the fork and egg above the entrance. Any reason why the name above the entrance there was in that different style to the Taunton one?
            I think I might have eaten there once or twice but don't remember that much about it. I never went to the one in Yeovil. Im not sure why they had different style signs though?

Comment

Diners at the Golden Egg restaurant on Charing Cross Road, London, 22nd October 1963.

Click image for larger version

Name:	egg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	260104
              When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

Couple more for you .... the second one is an aerial view of a standard table setting ... need ya sunglasses in there !

Click image for larger version

Name:	eggsg2.jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	260105Click image for larger version

Name:	eggtable.jpg
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	260106
                When I Was Good No One Remembered, When I Was Bad No One Forgot

Comment

There used to be one outside the back entrance of the Mander Centre, Wolverhampton. Always very busy.

Talking of old restaurants - there used to be one called Hasty Tasty in my hometown of Walsall, West Midlands. Not sure if any fellow Walsallians are members on here. It was the first place i saw the 70's style tomato shaped, tomato sauce bottles !!!

Btw while we're talking about old restaurants, does anyone have any photos of any Berni Inn's anywhere ??

Happy happy days !!!

Comment

Have a look here. There are pictures at the bottom if you scroll down after the Bio.

http://www.vads.ac.uk/learning/designingbritain/html/goldenegg.html
                    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

There was a Golden Egg in Muswell Hill, North London. I ate in there a few times with my parents; it had copper 3D picture panels of African animals on the walls, and tube shaped lightshades.

I think there may have been one in Enfield once, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by hazel View Post
                        There was a Golden Egg in Muswell Hill, North London. I ate in there a few times with my parents; it had copper 3D picture panels of African animals on the walls, and tube shaped lightshades.

I think there may have been one in Enfield once, but I could be wrong.
                        The one in Taunton had the 3D copper pictures as well.

Comment

Plenty of Golden Egg restaurants in Essex and east London in the 70s and 80s. Vividly remember one in the old Stratford shopping centre...rather think it has now bitten the dust in the regeneration of the area pre-Olympics.

Fond memories, definitely.

Comment

Loved The Golden Egg. Used to go to the one alot. here in the West End of Edinburgh. Indian restaurant, now.

Comment

There was a Golden Egg in Stafford in the 70s

Comment

Working...
                              X