Early/mid seventies kids supernatural tv series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early/mid seventies kids supernatural tv series

I'm trying to remember a seventies children's tv series (fairly sure ITV) around 73 to 75. A young girl has a recurring dream every night where she meets a boy on his own in a house. She discovers if draws things in a drawing book they appear in the dream. I think she drew a radio but when they turn it on in the dream it only broadcasts strange threatening voices. I vaguely remember standing stones around the boys house that were people she had drawn. Anyone remember this?

Chocky??

Comment

No..think it might be Children of the Stones??

Comment

No sorry. I remember Children of the Stones which was later, 77 i think, and very different. This series only really had the two children. Any other ideas?

Comment

From what you describe it sounds very much like the book 'Marianne Dreams'. I don't remember whether it made it onto the TV but it was made into a film called 'Paperhouse' in 1989.
          It certainly was a particularly scary story - Marianne is ill and is given some pens and paper to help her while away the days whilst she is receiving treatment. When she dreams the images on paper appear in her dreams. As she is lonely so draws a boy (who I think has polio, or maybe I'm mixing his illness up with hers) in a house and they meet up in her dreams. They have a falling out and, as girls are won't to do, she punishes him by placing terrifying stone guardians about the garden of the house so that he may never leave......................and I, er, can't remember the rest. Must've been traumatised or something.

Comment

That's it!

Great spangles! You found it. I googled the title "Marianne Dreams" and found the programme. It was called "Escape Into Night" and was on ATV in April 1972 (I was only 5 or six - no wonder it scared me so much!). I'd love to see it again... Apparently the "Paperhouse" film is ok, so I'll check that out too.

Comment

well found

Comment

Children of the Stones was kool, bought if on DVD in a sale the other month, still kool, and creepy.

Comment

Is that the one where everyone went around saying "Happy day"?

Comment

I knew being scared witless by my teacher Mrs Jones in 1976 would come in handy one day!
                    Anybody here remember The Changes? Now THAT was one scary show - well I was 5 - the sound that used to prompt normal folk to smash stuff up, well, it's the very stuff of nightmare.
                    Here's a link but.......you've been warned.
                    http://www.bilderberg.org/changes.htm

Comment

Yep, think 'Happy day' was a kinda catchphrase for the series, Gareth Thomas was in it, creepy stones kool, like Sones of Blood in Doctor Who. Changes rings a bell, but how about 'SKY' a strange alien lad, with black eyes, he wore little else bar a raincoat......?

Comment

ESCAPE INTO NIGHT - found at last!

Originally posted by parsifal View Post
                        Great spangles! You found it. I googled the title "Marianne Dreams" and found the programme. It was called "Escape Into Night" and was on ATV in April 1972 (I was only 5 or six - no wonder it scared me so much!). I'd love to see it again... Apparently the "Paperhouse" film is ok, so I'll check that out too.

Wow, I have been trying to sort this out for years, thanks to both of you, my mate kept getting me to check The Children Of The Stones & I looked at that but it was not ringing true, the green Cyclopean eye - on the stones is what I remember, and now I have the title and my mind can rest on that one, this site tells it all, fantastic.

The below link is a review.

You probably know already.

ESCAPE INTO NIGHT | A TELEVISION HEAVEN REVIEW
                        sigpic
                        Don't worry Cheryl....
                        I'll catch you if you slip!

Comment

Re: ESCAPE INTO NIGHT - found at last!

Hooray!!
                          I am sooo happy! I have been wondering for years on and off about this programme - I remember watching with my Mum when I was little. I kept being directed to Children of the Stones (a friend has actually just sent me the DVD today) but thought I was younger than would have been in '77 as I can recall watching it in our old house that we moved from in July '72......anyway enough waffle from me, I'm off to google Escape into the Night!

PS: Just joined this site and think it is brilliant! Bringing back so many memories : )

Comment

Working...
                          X