90s ITV Drama Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90s ITV Drama Series

Hello this is a long shot but im wondering if anyone can help me identify this one off series that i have been trying to track down for ages, it aired in the 90s or possibly even the early 00s and i believe it was on itv, but theres every chance it could be bbc, it was sort of stephen poliakoff-esque, who i originally thought it was from but turns out it wasnt, i cant remember who it starred either, not much help there i know but i remember some specific plot points about it

The series was structured around the life of this guy called James and each episode started with him playing films on a projector to a young girl of her mother, the story is told in a series of flashbacks each episode

It starts off going all the way back to james parents quite literally conceiving him and his 2 brothers, (one was called robert, i cant remember what the other was called) His father was a fat...sorry...horizontally challenged gentleman who was nonetheless quite wealthy, leaving the family to live in this great big house but James felt like an out cast and his mother was depressed or something and theres a haunting scene i remember being a recurring flashback multiple times where james remembers his mother whispering the words "be careful james....your not like the others james...your like me"

Anyway they grow up in what was the 60s (i remember the 66 cup final being referrred to at one point) and then the mother dies by sleep walking out of a window which was understanabley quite traumatic for lil james anyway

Then james fancies this bird whose name i dont remember, but his brother robert likes her as well and she is immediatley drawn to robert who i think had sideburns and they start an affair, he takes her up the alley (not a euphamism, theres a sex scene in an alley...odd how we remember the most trivial parts of a film)

Anyway Robert gets her up the pudding, and James is sad for a while, their older fa....horizontally challenged brother has a nervous breakdown cause his business goes bust or something, then i dont remember much else but this bird they both fancy who james loves but robert ***** gets pregnant at some point and gives birth to a kid but this bird ends up getting killed by Robert with a shotgun and it turns out the whole time James has been telling this story to the daughter of the woman he loved (admittedly slightly better than the way im telling it)

so if anyone can somehow take my ingredients of random titbits of information and whisk them together into a delicious soup of itv (or possibly bbc) mini series and direct as to what supermarket i can buy this soup (errr..tell us the title) it would be most helpful

key points
    Main character called James, had a brother called Robert
    Story told in a series of flashbacks all representing different stages of James life from approximatley 60s-modern day at the time
    Mother died by sleeping walking out a window
    the words "Be careful james, youre not like the others james, youre like me" said by his mothers is often revisited through the series
    James and Robert fancy the Girl who eventually is killed my Robert due to being shot
    Shot girls daughter is who James is talking to
    Dad and 3rd brother are horizontally challenged

much appreciated x

Re: 90s ITV Drama Series

Did you ever find out what this was called? I've also been trying to remember and have no idea who was in it or what it was called... Frustrating!

Comment

Re: 90s ITV Drama Series

In a land of plenty! It was on bbc 2 in 2001...

Comment

Working...
      X