One Hit Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Hit Wonders

They hit the scene with a big splash and have a hit song and then... nothing, nada, zip, zilch. So what happened? where are they now? do we care?

One "One hit wonder" that comes instantly to mind is Katrina and the Waves - "Walking on Sunshine".

How about:

Musical Youth "Pass the Dutchie"
    Soft Cell "Tainted Love"
    Vanilla Ice "Ice Ice Baby"
    Nena "99 Red Balloons" / "99 Luftballoons"

and of course Chesney Hawkes and the aptly named "One and Only"!
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

I don't know if I'm familiar with Chesney Hawkes but all the others I do know...

I have "Pass the Dutchie" on an old tape somewhere - didn't Bobbie Brown start in Musical Youth?

Comment

Aldo Nova was a one-hit wonder with Fantasy for a long time. He did more with his song writing for Clay Aiken and Celine Dion.

Comment

I know it's more 90's, but Lisa Lobe's song 'Stay' was very good.

Comment

Just after I wrote about Chesney Hawkes above, I switched on the TV and who should be there? Chesney! Chesney is one of the competitors on the new series of The Games (UK). Watch out for him - he hasn't changed a bit!
            Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
            http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany

Waiting For A Star To Fall - Boy Meets Girl
              TURN THOSE FROWNS RIGHT SIDE ROUND!

Comment

In the year 2525, by Zagar and Evans..or however it was spelled! One hit wonder number one..I quite liked it ..wonder what happened to the boys?

Comment

I used to have a the top 100 one hit wonders. Dunno where its gone though. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Comment

I would love to get my hands on that 100 top one-hit wonders tape.
                    Most of the time they were all really good, except for one in particular:
                    The Waitresses- "I Know What Boys Like"
                    I absolutely hated that one. Actually, I can listen to it now and laugh.

Comment

I can't believe i've just seen "tainted love" by soft cell as a one hit wonder. What about "bedsit land" "say hello, wave goodbye" and "Torch".They were really big in the 80's. I have their album and it is still excellent to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond1
                        In the year 2525, by Zagar and Evans..or however it was spelled! One hit wonder number one..I quite liked it ..wonder what happened to the boys?
                        Now that's a cool song - just added it to my big compilation playlist on the iPod!

But for slightly more obscure (and more recent - late 70s-early-80s) one hit wonders I'll go for:

World of Water: New Musik
                        Lean On Me: Red Box
                        and
                        Lines: The Planets

If you can remember any of those - well done!

Wil

Comment

Originally posted by Wil
                          Now that's a cool song - just added it to my big compilation playlist on the iPod!

But for slightly more obscure (and more recent - late 70s-early-80s) one hit wonders I'll go for:

World of Water: New Musik
                          Lean On Me: Red Box
                          and
                          Lines: The Planets

If you can remember any of those - well done!

Wil
                          I used to like New Musik! They had about 4 UK hit singles, "Straight Lines" and "Living By Numbers" were a couple, as well as "Sanctuary". I also have the albums "From A to B" and "Anywhere" and last year managed to get the former on a CD re-issue.
                          Red Box had two UK top 10 hits, as well as "Lean On Me" they also hit with "For America". I have the vinyl album somewhere, called "The Circle and the Square", but I have not come across it on CD.
                          You got me on The Planets one though - I can't seem to remember that one at the moment!
                          Old enough to know better...

Comment

In the early 80s, the Vapours, Aneka, and Alphaville each had a 1HW - what was the common theme ?

Romeo ( '77 or '78 ) and To Be With You ( '92 ) were 1HWs for two bands of which same name ?

The "prize" is more ramblings from me !
                            Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

The link is Japan - Vapours "Turning Japanese", Aneka "Japanese Boy" and Alphaville "Big in Japan"
                              The "Romeo" hits were by different bands who were both called Mr Big.
                              Old enough to know better...

Comment

Working...
                              X