Vesta Meals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vesta Meals!

After reading some memories of these I just had to go and buy one! Was thrilled to see that the range seems to be exactly the same....Beef Risotto, Beef Curry, Chow Mein and Paella. I've bought a Paella as it was always a *real* treat to be allowed to have one for dinner in the late 70s!

Will it taste the same? Will it? I don't know......fingers crossed!

~ Smee_1972

god.....i didnt know you could still get them....prawn curry.....quality
    Last edited by Cal; 19-11-2006, 13:44.

Comment

Didn't you get an 'extra' packet of crispy things with the Chow Mein?

Comment

Yes, and you still do! You have to deep fry them. Haven't tried that one yet, mind!

Comment

They were the last word in exotic cuisine back then before multiculture arrived.
          Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

vesta chow mein

Originally posted by Smee_1972
            Yes, and you still do! You have to deep fry them. Haven't tried that one yet, mind!
            Got two in the cupboard now!
            sigpic
            Mrs Oggy
            ~~~*~~~*~~~
            Count your friends amongst the stars....
            And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

hi guys long time no speak , i remember having a vesta curry in the late 80,s and i was lurvley , as i was not a curry fan it opened up a whole new world to me , as i remember it was really fruity ooer !

Comment

hi smee , just seen your photo on your post and do you know what spam stands for ?

Comment

Vestaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hey Momma M - do remember to report back to us on what it tastes like!!!

And Steve - assuming you mean what SPAM actually stands for (and you're not referring to some cheekier version!) then isn't it spiced pork and ham? Not *quite* an acronym, but close. If it were a true aconym we'd all be eating SPAH. Which sounds revolting, and I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

~Smee_1972

Comment

oh is it , i was tiold it stood for
                    specially
                    processed
                    american
                    meat

as this was widely used during ww2 by the yanks for their soldiers
                    apparently !

Comment

Spamspamspamspamspam

Seems neither of us are right! According, to Wikipedia, anyway:

Introduced on July 5, 1937, the name "Spam" was chosen in the 1930s when the product, whose original name was far less memorable (Hormel Spiced Ham), began to lose market share. The name was chosen from multiple entries in a naming contest. A Hormel official once stated that the original meaning of the name spam was "Shoulder of Pork and hAM". According to writer Marguerite Patten in Spam – The Cookbook, the name was suggested by Kenneth Daigneau, an actor and the brother of a Hormel vice president. The current official explanation is that the name is a syllabic abbreviation of "SPiced hAM", and that the originator was given a $100 prize for coming up with the name.
                      Many jocular backronyms have been devised, such as "Squirrel, oPossum, And Mouse", "Spare-Parts-Already-Minced", "Something Posing As Meat", and "Specially Processed Artificial Meat." [2]
                      According to Hormel's trademark guidelines, Spam should be spelled with all capital letters and treated as an adjective, as in the phrase SPAM luncheon meat. As with many other trademarks, such as Xerox or Kleenex, people often refer to similar meat products as "spam".

~Smee_1972

Comment

From Vesta to Spam, though Spam probably more famous due to the Pythons and the infamous Spam song. You cans till get vesta meals, be they not as many types, mainly in ASDA I find, kinda of a forerunner to Potnoodles too.

Comment

vesta chow mein tastes like.......

Originally posted by Smee_1972
                          Hey Momma M - do remember to report back to us on what it tastes like!!!

And Steve - assuming you mean what SPAM actually stands for (and you're not referring to some cheekier version!) then isn't it spiced pork and ham? Not *quite* an acronym, but close. If it were a true aconym we'd all be eating SPAH. Which sounds revolting, and I wouldn't feed it to my dog.

~Smee_1972
                          ...........Chewy minestrone! But still edible.
                          sigpic
                          Mrs Oggy
                          ~~~*~~~*~~~

Comment

Vestaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Cheers Momma! I still have my Vesta paella in the cupbaord - will treat myself to it this week and what better beverage to accomany it than a big glass of Tizer?

~Smee_1972

Comment

Vesta and Tizer?

Why not go the whole way and have Cresta....its frothy man!
                              sigpic
                              Mrs Oggy
                              ~~~*~~~*~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X