Your most disappointing toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your most disappointing toy

Not really a toy....but mine was a cassette player......note i said 'player' and not 'recorder'.....looked similar to everyone elses....but the Red button on mine was 'stop'...( no record on it )...was bought a pack of 3 blank c90's with it too.....hmmmmm.

Comment

Not mine but a friend's...Mr. Frosty.

It was ok until you ran out of the juice, then you were reduced to just plain "crushed ice" or experimentation with what was in the kitchen cupboard (for the record, soy-sauce frosties are not good).

Poor old Mr. F ended up as a target for my mates Gat-Gun.

Comment

I hate to sound ungrateful because I wasn't but........

TCR - Nowhere near as good as Scalextric. and you had to 'engineer' an accident if you wanted excitement as they never came off the track on bends.
        Tin Can Alley - just lame compared to the ads.
        My LCL Economy 40 CB - OK it was still a CB but all my friends ones had s-meters, RF Gain, Mic Gain, Roger Beeps and other cool stuff - mine had volume, squelch, channel change and hi/lo power switch. Plus I wasn't allowed an outside antenna so had a DV-27 in the loft.
        Commando bike - well, we all wanted Choppers or Grifters didn't we?
        Slam Bam Sam - I wanted 'Stock Car Smash Up' or whatever it was called - on SBS only the wheelarches and bumpers came off I believe.

BUT - I was still pleased and appreciated what I had, thanks Mum & Dad :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wickerman View Post
          Agreed. I borrowed it from a cousin once, and had the same experience.
          i never had an issue with Mousetrap. me, my sister and my mum and dad used to play a 4 player game of the version that was out in the 80s and the trap always worked perfectly.

Comment

My most disappointing toy was in the early 80's a spaniel dog that had batteries in it and it walked along the floor slo...w...ly... it stopped, sat down for a minute, yapped and set off walking again. I didnt have it for long and my friend stroked his head too hard one day, heard a snap sound and it didn't function after that. Parents wouldn't buy me a new one as it was quite expensive, they said

Comment

Tank Command

Looked great on the TV ad but in reality the realistic mobile tanks shown in the advert turned out to be plastic things you had to push along. I was gutted.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fynger View Post
                Not really a toy....but mine was a cassette player......note i said 'player' and not 'recorder'.....looked similar to everyone elses....but the Red button on mine was 'stop'...( no record on it )...was bought a pack of 3 blank c90's with it too.....hmmmmm.
                Eithe the giver was winding you up with the C90's or they didn't realise it did not have record feature
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Can't really say I had a disappointing toy, BUT, my train set came close.
                  A friend of mine had a train set for Christmas 1976, a lovely Hornby Flying Scotsman set. Of course, I wanted a TRAIN SET. Take note, I said TRAIN SET.
                  Jump forward, Christmas 1977.........
                  Christmas day, presents all around the tree. One box bigger than all the others. Ripped open the paper......one train set!!!!!
                  Finally opened the entire box....One train set, but not the Flying Scotsman. A small little steam locomotive, with four freight waggons. Small controller inside, BATTERY OPERATED. A couple of new batteries later, the set was put away. I did get the mains electric controller, the following year!

On the upside it did give me a start to, and long lasting interest in railways. This has led to other interests, so the cloud did have a very bright silver lining.
                  Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

When i had scalextric the cars would fly off the track too much i always found the controllers where too sensitive well they where for me.

I felt the cars just went too fast.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      When i had scalextric the cars would fly off the track too much i always found the controllers where too sensitive well they where for me.

I felt the cars just went too fast.
                      I found it could be a real effort to drive around some Scalextric tracks, normally when they had a lot of bends.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Pretty much anything from my brother in recent years. A blood-pressure monitor? Seriously????
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

i can sure agree with u there mate.

But you sure got the feeling of speed tho.

I had one with loads of turns etc.

Originally posted by richard1978 View Post
                          i found it could be a real effort to drive around some scalextric tracks, normally when they had a lot of bends.

Comment

My kid sis got a Girls World head that I was keen to try out (boys - it was a plastic dolls head that you could supposedly put make on and do its hair in different styles). Utter ****. Trying to get nasty cheap crayon like "cosmetics"to stick to a hard plastic face - let alone do anything with the (probably flammable) hair that seemed to be made of the same stuff as fibre optic lamps. Waste of good money.

I was also keen to try out a mate's Subbuteo - what a crock of doodoo that turned out to be!

Comment

Mine would have to be the Corgi James Bond 007 Lotus Esprit I got for my birthday one year. This one:

Unfortunately I took it to school and one of the axles snapped, they were pretty thin metal rods with small wheels on, like the kind you got on the smaller cars.
                              My dad wasn't impressed, being an engineer, and got it refunded, I wasn't allowed to buy another because they were "shoddy" which they were.

So I bought this instead from a local toy shop, because it looked similar, which started me on the Mobile Action Command path!

Attached Files

Comment

I had that james bond car too.

And as you say it was pretty thin metal the bit that came out at the back of the car.

It was just too easy damaged.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
                                mine would have to be the corgi james bond 007 lotus esprit i got for my birthday one year. This one:

unfortunately i took it to school and one of the axles snapped, they were pretty thin metal rods with small wheels on, like the kind you got on the smaller cars.
                                My dad wasn't impressed, being an engineer, and got it refunded, i wasn't allowed to buy another because they were "shoddy" which they were.

So i bought this instead from a local toy shop, because it looked similar, which started me on the mobile action command path!

Comment

Working...
                                X