X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timmy Mallet

"It's Wackaday!!"

Such an annoying phleb I thought

Though there was one good bit of Timmy Mallet early 80's when he was on Mancunian radio station Picadilly I think it was:

He had a reverse quiz phone - in where listeners phoned him, asked him a question & if Timmy gave the right answer you had to send him a prize lol Mostly listeners dropped the prizes off at Picadilly reception.

Two of the many prizes Timmy recieved were a Harry Krishna 7" single & a parakeet
    Yes really: a parakeet, to which Timmy said on air "Thankyou but what am I going to do with a parakeet?" The parakeet was given to an animal sanctuary (or more to the point a bird sanctuary) for re-homing

Also on Picadilly Susie Mathis was hosting a phone-in about the pros & cons of abortion. Susie stated she was against abortion. Somebody phoned in and told her:
    "You are only against abortion because you can't concieve"
    Upset Susie walked out & it was down to the studio manager to host the show until Susie had composed herself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susie_Mathis
    Last edited by Twocky61; 23-08-2014, 11:44. Reason: Susie Link
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Timmy Mallet

I didn't mind Timmy Mallet when I was growing up but now I find him annoying. I still can't believe he got to no.1 with Bombalurina.

Comment

always loved timmy still do hes a big kid just like me never grew up.

loved him on im a celeb a few yrs back such comedy he brought to it.

and wackaday hit u with a pink foam mallett if u got a question wrong.love it.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Bit like on Crackerjack where you got a cauliflower (or was it a cabbage?) when you got a question wrong which made it more difficult to keep all the prizes you had won in your arms
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

i liked watching timmy mallet when he was on wacaday.

Comment

Love him even when he was on im a celeb few yrs back he was still the same as he was when on wacaday.
            Loved the show where him and michaela strachan doing the show where kids would get tapped on the head with the pink foam mallett if u got a question wrong.

Comment

"Mallets Mallet - a word association game, you mustn't pause, you mustn't hesitate, or you get a whack on the head like this ... or like this! The one with the most bruises loses, the one with the least bruises wins! First word ..." - or something along those lines I think

Remember growing up with "Wacaday" in the eighties, on a Saturday morning, then on a weekday morning in the school holidays. I also remember Tommy Boyd and Michaela Strachan being on Saturday morning children's tv too, but can't remember if it was the same show as Timmy Mallet? Did Wacaday get renamed as "Wac '90" in its last years too? When Wacaday finished, it seemed like "The Big Breakfast" filled the void in the holidays, offering similar entertainment - although that could have been because it appealed more to me as I was getting older by then.

As well as Mallet's Mallet, the other regular game I remember Timmy doing for a few years on Wacaday was where a contestant would be blindfolded, and had to use their senses to guess what various things were. I seem to recall tasting raw cauliflower and smelling blue cheese seemed to feature quite regularly.

Oh, and as already mentioned, anyone old enough to remember summer 1990 would not have been able to escape Timmy with "Bombalurina", covering the old hit "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini", which got to number one. I remember being on holiday camping with my parents in the Lake District, every night we'd hear that played at least five times in the bar!
              Last edited by Big Tim; 11-01-2016, 01:08.

Comment

THERE YA GO BIG TIM.

https://youtu.be/EUfv-tAfXn4

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
                "Mallets Mallet - a word association game, you mustn't pause, you mustn't hesitate, or you get a whack on the head like this ... or like this! The one with the most bruises loses, the one with the least bruises wins! First word ..." - or something along those lines I think

Remember growing up with "Wacaday" in the eighties, on a Saturday morning, then on a weekday morning in the school holidays. I also remember Tommy Boyd and Michaela Strachan being on Saturday morning children's tv too, but can't remember if it was the same show as Timmy Mallet? Did Wacaday get renamed as "Wac '90" in its last years too? When Wacaday finished, it seemed like "The Big Breakfast" filled the void in the holidays, offering similar entertainment - although that could have been because it appealed more to me as I was getting older by then.

As well as Mallet's Mallet, the other regular game I remember Timmy doing for a few years on Wacaday was where a contestant would be blindfolded, and had to use their senses to guess what various things were. I seem to recall tasting raw cauliflower and smelling blue cheese seemed to feature quite regularly.

Oh, and as already mentioned, anyone old enough to remember summer 1990 would not have been able to escape Timmy with "Bombalurina", covering the old hit "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini", which got to number one. I remember being on holiday camping with my parents in the Lake District, every night we'd hear that played at least five times in the bar!

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  THERE YA GO BIG TIM.

https://youtu.be/EUfv-tAfXn4
                  Thanks Darren. That brings back the memories, I had forgotten the bit about going "bleurgh", but of course remembered it from seeing that link.

I don't know if it was the fact I was just a youngster when I watched Wacaday back in the late 80's, but Timmy looks much younger in the video link than I remember him being. Then again, when you're 8 years old, anyone over 20 seems ancient!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post

This game was called Silly Senses.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

hated the ****

Comment

Didn't he have a game on Wacaday which was called Bonk n Boob? What was that game all about? I've got something in my head that says it was a word association game similar to Mallett's Mallet

Comment

bonk and boob was a spelling game which was actually praised by teachers.
                          It was on a show called the wide awake club which timmy and michaela strachan did they also did wacaday.

It was so funny that and malletts mallet.

Originally posted by akb48fan View Post
                          didn't he have a game on wacaday which was called bonk n boob? What was that game all about? I've got something in my head that says it was a word association game similar to mallett's mallet

Comment

George was another game on WAC, with 4 themed answers on plastic lollipops. George was the mascot / scoreboard, IIRC his eyes displayed the score.

There were some other games, such as Silly Senses & The Bedmaking Contest.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

YES INDEED YOUR RIGHT.

UVE A GOOD MEMORY TO REMEMBER ALL THAT.

The programme was so successful that it launched two spin-offs: Wacaday, a programme for holiday mornings presented solely by Timmy Mallett (joined by Terry a puppet during its first series and Michaela Strachan for later editions) that became even more successful than its parent, and WAC Extra, a Sunday morning version of the show. Both Wide Awake Club andWacaday introduced the Wacawave, done by making a 'w', by putting one's thumbs together, and waving.
                              Meanwhile, Wide Awake Club continued for many years with only minor changes to the format. However, in April 1989 it was relaunched as WAC '90, a longer programme broadcast from Granada's studios in Manchester (as opposed to TV-am's inLondon). The programme ran until June 1990, when it was replaced by Hey, Hey, it's Saturday!. However, that was not the end of the Wide Awake Club franchise as Wacaday continued until 1992.
                              Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                              George was another game on WAC, with 4 themed answers on plastic lollipops. George was the mascot / scoreboard, IIRC his eyes displayed the score.

There were some other games, such as Silly Senses & The Bedmaking Contest.

Comment

Working...
                              X