Nylon overcoats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nylon overcoats

I can't actually remember seeing my gran without one of these on in the house. Nylon overcoat, pop buttons on the front, usually striped. She wore one every day! My mam also had an old yellow one but only wore it for painting or doing a 'big clean'. Dinner ladies at school wore pink ones. Where are they now?
    1976 Vintage

Re: Nylon overcoats

I've not seen many in the last 20 or so years.

I remember my school dinnerladies wearing blue & white gingham checked ones.

In the early days of Eastenders Dot used to wear them while working at the launderette.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Did Nora Batty used to wear one?

Comment

Nora did Amethyst & I think that's one of the things about her that Compo liked lol
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
          Nora did Amethyst & I think that's one of the things about her that Compo liked lol
          and her stockings down to her ankles

Comment

I cant ever trmember myparents wearing them but im near certain my aunties etc did.

I remembered them as soon as dinnerladies where mentioned my aunt was a dinnerlady at primary school.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              I cant ever trmember myparents wearing them but im near certain my aunties etc did.

I remembered them as soon as dinnerladies where mentioned my aunt was a dinnerlady at primary school.
              My mum and aunts used to wear aprons round the house not the nylon coats

Comment

At home most of my relatives just wore a cotton 'pinnie'. I had to buy a nylon overall for my first Saturday job as shampooer in a ladies hairdressing salon. I got this horrible striped thing and all the other staff in that shop were required to wear one. They seemed to take over a lot of workplaces late sixties and into the seventies. I am not sorry we don't see so much of them any more

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  I can't actually remember seeing my gran without one of these on in the house. Nylon overcoat, pop buttons on the front, usually striped. She wore one every day! My mam also had an old yellow one but only wore it for painting or doing a 'big clean'. Dinner ladies at school wore pink ones. Where are they now?
                  Likewise Trickyvee - my Grandma and Auntie (who shared the same house in later years) both wore a Nylon Overcoat too. It is amazing what is recalled I think, when thinking back - even just 5 years since my Grandma passed away she had still worn these until 2007/8 or so for probably 30 years plus! In a way it is/was like the Flat Cap ... then Flat Burberry Cap "statement" their husbands would wear ... and though I'd never ever wish to be seen attached to such a dress sense when I'm old , it sure makes you think "yet another iconic and novel (for 30/40 years or so) statement of what of older generations wore is slowly fading and dying"

80sChav

Comment

...weren't they called 'housecoats' ?- I remember mam and nan wearing them.....and yes Trickyvee (a yellow one) for painting, and the Big Clean

I was actually looking for one the other month- thought if I could get a cheap white one I could write Darts sayings and players nicknames on it for the family 'darts night' we were having. A sort of cheap fancy dress - most shops didn't have a clue what I was after, and couldn't find one.

Comment

Working...
                    X