the abc cannon cinema,wakefield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the abc cannon cinema,wakefield

so,any members like me in the wakefield region who remember the old cannon cinema?i can remember back in the 80s and 90s getting in there for £1.50,the fun of 3 different cinemas in the art deco surroundings.now look at it-abandoned to rot,i think an asian conglomerate own it nowadays,and they appear from time to time to be ripping more and more out of it so i guess they are tearing it down soonmind you,the amount of asbestos in there is massive so would cost a bomb to tear the old girl down i guess!the last film i saw there was the cable guy in 1996-still remember the manager,a small and stout guy who never seemed to smile
    what are your memories of this place?

Re: the abc cannon cinema,wakefield

Some pics of the place....spot the Hillards sign too.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/...inema-13-12-07

Comment

its great to see the old girl inside again,havent been in there since 1996,and its a shame what they have done to the place-left it pretty much to rack and ruin-the foyer is wrecked,and the latest i read is they have stripped all the lovely old seating out and piled it in the centre of the main auditoriumif cineworld hadnt come along in wakefield cooldeepblue theres a slim chance cannon would have kept it going,but cineworld crippled themi know where id rather go to watch a movie!dont know what the old hillards sign is doing in there,because the hillards was no where near the abc in wakefield-unless they did an inter-promotion for them at some point?boy id love to take one last walk around in there but,im not one for law breaking and trespassing is not my thing

Comment

Remember it well.

I saw my first ever cinema film there in 1982 (E.T.)

I remember queueing right up to Sun Lane baths for some of the bigger films.

I remember noseying in that crappy antique shop window whilst waiting.

I remember the numbered signs that the afformentioned stout guy would put outside (Cinema 1,2,3).

I remember the red foyer and tiny ticket office with the old tickets that came up out the desk.

I remember the "butterkist" and local cafe adverts before the film started.

I remember a "chip butty and coke" in the Othello opposite.

Upstairs for 1, downstairs for 2 & 3

I always dreamed of buying that place and renovating it to it's former glory and showing classic and retro films there...We can all dream I suppose...

A great building and great memories, it will be a sad loss when it goes.

Comment

Working...
        X