Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mininum Wage

The Minimum Wage has just gone up to £6.50 an hour in the UK

Labour has said if they win the election they would raise it to £8 an hour yes but in 2020

How much is the minimum wage where you are ?

Re: Mininum Wage

Does it matter who gets in they all lie. Besides the current rate of inflation national minimum will be around £8 per hour anyway by 2020.That is some 6 years away.

Where I am at the moment I was at £6.42,just above minimum wage. I have had a pay rise due to minimum wage going up. I am now on minimum wage £6.50 per hour. To pay for this pay rise up to minimum wage we have lost our impossible to achieve bonus scheme. I can only afford to keep the internet by selling on e-bay .

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
      Does it matter who gets in they all lie. Besides the current rate of inflation national minimum will be around £8 per hour anyway by 2020.That is some 6 years away.

Where I am at the moment I was at £6.42,just above minimum wage. I have had a pay rise due to minimum wage going up. I am now on minimum wage £6.50 per hour. To pay for this pay rise up to minimum wage we have lost our impossible to achieve bonus scheme. I can only afford to keep the internet by selling on e-bay .
      With things going up all the time its hard on folk who are struggling.

Comment

Well here in Spain the minimum wage is £3.46 and with unemployment very high you can imagine how many employers take advantage of that. Having said that we don't pay a fraction of the taxes you do. My " council tax " for example is £80 a year.

Comment

the minimum wage is a terrible idea and anyone who runs a business will tell you this

in the long term it drives wages down not up
          Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

I can see where you are coming from but the minimum wage is there to protect people like myself living on the edge. Without it my employer will be only to glad to pay as little as possible. I know him too well . Without minimum most of us would be worse off then our 2x gt grandparents. Personally I believe in a living wage. But to pay that my employer would probably sack half of the workforce and put more on our already over burdened shoulders. He's already shown his colors by stopping the impossible bonus to cover the costs of the pay rise up to minimum wage.

Comment

Before I retired I ran my own business and my policy was always to pay a living wage as opposed to a minimum wage. You will always get far more from your workers if they do not feel they are being ripped-off. Basic business sense surely ? Care for your staff and they will care for your business....it's just good business acumen. Here is a very relevant link !!

https://www.change.org/p/john-lewis-...he-living-wage
              Last edited by Cooldeepblue; 18-10-2014, 23:15.

Comment

P.S. I retired at age 42 with a very healthy bank balance and sold the business to the staff who have done very well out of it. Once you have earned enough to live comfortably for the rest of your life...pass on your good fortune and help others to achieve what they need. I don't believe in karma etc, but if I am wrong then I am well covered lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
                  Before I retired I ran my own business and my policy was always to pay a living wage as opposed to a minimum wage. You will always get far more from your workers if they do not feel they are being ripped-off. Basic business sense surely ? Care for your staff and they will care for your business....it's just good business acumen. Here is a very relevant link !!

https://www.change.org/p/john-lewis-...he-living-wage
                  I agree with this principal entirely and the company I work for are always looking to improve conditions and pay but unfortunately we are a service provider and nearly all of our direct competitors will price work against the minimum wage, forcing us to do the same or we price ourselves out of the market. Also if we pay more than minimum wage (which we do on lots of contracts) the client can make a massive saving by putting the contract out to tender knowing that the competition will price the work at minimum wage to gain the contract (TUPE should protect employees against this but in the real world it doesn't)

Unfortunately in the unskilled labor market the minimum wage soon becomes the wage

this is all very serious for 7 in the morning ...... I'm off to watch grange hill on youtube
                  Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Originally posted by Cooldeepblue View Post
                    Well here in Spain the minimum wage is £3.46 and with unemployment very high you can imagine how many employers take advantage of that. Having said that we don't pay a fraction of the taxes you do. My " council tax " for example is £80 a year.
                    That is low but I love £80 for council tax could pay that in one go.

Comment

True. Where I am working at the moment most of us are starting to dig our heals in. None of us can live easily. Most people are looking for better work and would be happy to take another minimum wage job closer to their homes so don't have to travel and could save some money that way. Two key operators are leaving in the next 2-3 weeks due to low pay. Leaves a key machine without a skilled operator and nobody else wants the job as they feel the money we are getting is too little for the responsibility over the machine. I am myself a skilled machine operator/setter but feel that minimum wage is a wage I can get just cleaning for Aldi's or anywhere come to think of it now. I am also a skilled trainer and have been given a new person to train up. My current thought is why bother when I can get the same elsewhere for less. A recent meeting with the boss shows he is totally unconnected with both the staff and the realities of life outside of his little bubble when he said that he paid us a good wage,lol. It's the least he can pay us according to the law and to pay less would get both him and the company into trouble. I have virtually given up, don't care if the work gets done or not, don't really care if the company looses customers or even goes belly up. Not my problem anymore. That's how I feel about the whole situation I am in at work. My problem is finding better work elsewhere with a wage I can live with or at least a job closer to home.
                      I had to give up my own place a couple of years ago and move back in with dad as the rent, council tax, and other bills came to more then I was earning at that time with this company. Financially I am even worse off now although living with dad has helped a lot.

Comment

Times are hard these days prices of things dont help ppl on min wages i must admit at least fuel has come down it does help a bit but not much
                        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
                          Times are hard these days prices of things dont help ppl on min wages i must admit at least fuel has come down it does help a bit but not much
                          They cant put min wage up too much at a time because it would affect small businesses,the big named companies could afford to pay a bit more but you know how tight they can be.

Morrisons have introduced a new loyalty card we will see how benificial that turns out

Comment

When the living wage of £7.20 not London which is higher, in April 2016 will unemployment go up.Prices no doubt will go up to pay for wages otherwise companies profits would be down.Small buisness,s I think will struggle more if prices go up too much people wont spend and they will go bust.More pubs could close,they could cut staff hours or get rid staff last one in first one out.Anyone claiming tax credits will be hit as the government introduces cuts savings big time.

Comment

gosh I remember working for 3.50 per hr glad im not on that now would have sell house lol
                              THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Working...
                              X