late 80's early 90's channel 4 or s4c morning childrens program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late 80's early 90's channel 4 or s4c morning childrens program

Hi all new to here, names Dan, wonder if you can help me at all I seem to be the only one who can remember this program being on no one else watched it but i loved it, the program you ask? well it started off some kids getting ready for school then all the family left and then the teapot, cup and a few other things came to life as puppets. It was a segmented show with jokes told by the cutlery then little cartoons or live action scenes. I can only really remember the one which was a wronged female comic book writer who drew her perfect guy which then got hit by lightening and he came to life, but always he would disappear as he wasn't to be her true fella just help her find the right man.
    She got angry him one time and drew him with a nasty frown and low and behold lightening struck again and this time he came out as a nasty guy. I think that segment was called mr niceguy or something like that. Finally at the end the teapot etc would sing a cover of a musical number, the one that sticks in mind is chirpa chirpa cheep cheep. Anyone else see this thing and put a name to it at all?

Re: late 80's early 90's channel 4 or s4c morning childrens program

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't remember the exact name of the prog but here'a clip from one of the segments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LR0L-lkino

This is Wordplayers, and as lot of you (old enough) will remember, they featured at different slots on Children's TV in the 1980s.

Comment

Yes I remember this. Great memories of WP.

Comment

Originally posted by smileheron View Post
        Yes I remember this. Great memories of WP.
        Nice one smileheron.

Do you have access to any other clips of Wordplayers? This is all I can find.

One of my favourites was when they did a tribute to Last Of The Summer Wine crossed with Beverly Hill's Cop - Axel F.

Ace.

Comment

Really? I can't remember that at all on there the main show was the teapot etc it was a little like round the bendesque

Comment

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I remember the teapot part you describe the most, it was ace. It did a variety of songs I recall, including one or two by Boney M!!!

The Wordplayers segment, as you suggest, appeared intermittently in the latter shows of the series.

Wasn’t there some sort of duet/sing off between Wordplayers and the teapot in one episode?

Comment

Love to see some more Wordplayers peter, but alas I have non :cry:. Any more guesses on the title of the main program. Didn't the Teapot introduce the WP sections?

Comment

yes thats the one Peter, do you remember the mr niceguy (quite sure thats what it was called) short i said about on there? ad yes the teapot did introduce the different sections, so glad that even if we can't remember the name of the main partI'm not alone in my watching of this program

Comment

Originally posted by Dandan1000 View Post
                  yes thats the one Peter, do you remember the mr niceguy (quite sure thats what it was called) short i said about on there? ad yes the teapot did introduce the different sections, so glad that even if we can't remember the name of the main partI'm not alone in my watching of this program
                  I remember this, it was a BBC show in the early 1990s, shown on Saturday Mornings.

The other characters were a tomato & a tin of beans. The cartoon character who came to life was called Nicechap.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was BBC was it? I could have sworn it was s4c/channel4 cheers maybe i can find it now then

Comment

found it! breakfast serials it was called! woohoo I can watch it again

Comment

Originally posted by Dandan1000 View Post
                        found it! breakfast serials it was called! woohoo I can watch it again
                        That's good to hear, IIRC it was shown before the 8:15 From Manchester.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Dan, so glad you found out the title.

It’s funny but I mentioned this thread to my younger brother at the weekend and, without hesitation, he said the title ‘Breakfast Serials’ straight away.

He also backed up what you also said Dan and the teapot DID introduce The Wordplayers’ segment.

Further, he also mentioned that it was on before 8:15 from MCR – which is what I’ve just read Richard has put.

Comment

Working...
                          X