Spammers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spammers

another site I used to use would put all new users into pre-moderation when they first joined meaning that the first few posts that were submitted had to be checked by a moderator before being allowed to appear on the site, causes a bit of work but stopped literally all the spam
    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

That's a very good idea Jay
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I have never had one single spammer on my own forum, forum has been running since late 90s! How? I have a registration software, written for me by a friend, in which anybody who wants to join has to first fill in an online small form. This comes to me, and I process the account myself and return details by email. Takes only a couple of minutes for each new member. But the plus side is that they have to provide a valid email for me to reply to. Sounds like a bit of work, not really, and as a consequence never ever seen any spam, anywhere.

Comment

when u say a form do you mean an actual form on paper mate.
          if so i could not do it.

we dont get much spam here tho compared to some sites im on.

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
          I have never had one single spammer on my own forum, forum has been running since late 90s! How? I have a registration software, written for me by a friend, in which anybody who wants to join has to first fill in an online small form. This comes to me, and I process the account myself and return details by email. Takes only a couple of minutes for each new member. But the plus side is that they have to provide a valid email for me to reply to. Sounds like a bit of work, not really, and as a consequence never ever seen any spam, anywhere.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
            when u say a form do you mean an actual form on paper mate.
            if so i could not do it.

we dont get much spam here tho compared to some sites im on.
            No, its online and auto sends to me on completion

Comment

So you mean that you personally must approve every registration before the new member is allowed to post?

Yes, that certainly prevents spam. But having to wait for approval is always a bummer. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.386

Comment

Originally posted by I. R. Fincham View Post
                So you mean that you personally must approve every registration before the new member is allowed to post?

Yes, that certainly prevents spam. But having to wait for approval is always a bummer. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.386
                It not that hard and its a private former Army member site. I get the 'form' via email, so do not have to check daily. It takes me a couple of minutes to create the account and make it 'live'.

A friend of mine in Manchester had a football forum, it got attacked by spammers and it was so bad he spent hours/days eradicating the offenders. He shut the forum whilst cleaning it out.

I saw another attacked to a lesser extent but the owner/admin had a hell of a job. He reverted to admin authorisation in an effort to control it; even that was only partially successful.

My method may sound 'time consuming' but not time consuming at all and certainly not as time consuming as eradicating an attack. As I said, NOT one single spammer have I had, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                  It not that hard and its a private former Army member site. I get the 'form' via email, so do not have to check daily. It takes me a couple of minutes to create the account and make it 'live'.
                  I presume you don't sit awake by your computer 24/7 waiting for registrations. Presumably some must arrive while you're doing other things, such as sleeping. So some people have to wait hours for approval, right?
                  Last edited by I. R. Fincham; 12-03-2015, 05:06.

Comment

normally no, but at the most less than a day. Most of my members are same time zone as me, so they sleep too. I have members in Australia, USA, Canada, Portugal, and other 'far' flung time zones. But they are happy with the status quo. Depends on whether you like getting spammed or not?

Comment

Hi HG, Heather,
                      It looks like that possibly another spammer has possibly signed up with the name of SusannaMon and a link to her homepage in her very first post in the "Introduce Yourself category
                      Last edited by 80sChav; 27-01-2016, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                        Hi HG, Heather,
                        It looks like that possibly another spammer has possibly signed up with the name of SusannaMon and a link to her homepage in her very first post in the "Introduce Yourself category
                        When new members have a link I am always suspicious and do not click on just in case

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                          Hi HG, Heather,
                          Thanks, she's been zapped!
                          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I've seen some of these posts re' streaming of games, one question what would happen if i clicked on one, i never have , just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by angliaknight View Post
                              I've seen some of these posts re' streaming of games, one question what would happen if i clicked on one, i never have , just curious.
                              Well basically you will open a vortex to another dimension allowing all manner of aliens to come into this world laying waste to all civilization as we know !!!!!!!

or you will end up on a dodgy website that will cause you to get all horrible viruses on your PC

I dare you ....................
                              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

If you see anything you are not sure of please report it, that way we get an email alert and will check it out, no matter how unsure you are hit report anyway its completely confidential and the reported member is never made aware their post has been flagged.
                                Heather

Comment

Working...
                                X