Strangeways 1990

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangeways 1990

In 1990 Strangeways was the prison which hosted the largest prison riot in the UK. The riot started in the chapel where the chaplain Noel Proctor tried to calm us inmates down without success. In the ninties Barlinie prison in Glasgow hosted a riot scene for the ITV series The Chief starring Tim Piggot Smith. We lags were paid £50 to riot. A prisoners idea of heaven plus being paid for it
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Strangeways 1990

Since the Strangeways riot prison conditions have improved. Instead of a bucket to wee in & 'slop out' the wee you empty into the sluice on morning door open. As for pooing when 'banged up' most would poo in newspaper, rolliting to a **** parcel and bung it out the cell window shouting "**** parcel coming down" and the people below would pull there heads back in. Also we would swing lines out of the window cell to cell passing ciggies & such like. Oh happy days

Nowadays prison cells have 'Ensuite' (if you can call it that lol) sanitatation consisting of toilet & sink. All cells also have a kettle & TV charged out of your prison earnings 50p if you are in a shared cell or a pound if you are in a single cell which are at a premium with there currently 90,000 people in UK prisons

Horrifically for the taxpayer it costs £43 thousand pounds per year to keep on prisoner in prison. There are currently 90 thousand prisoners in UK prisons so multiply 43 thousand by 90 thousand pounds & what is the total per year?

I am not very good at maths so who can work out the total? 90k by 43k?

In HMP prisons if you work in the prison kitchens for example you are paid around £14 per week but in a private prison such as Group 4 Altcourse in Liverpool you are paid £50 per week in the kitchen. So I know I would prefer to go to a private nick

I have been to prison hence my knowledge of the prison system

First time I went to prison as a Young Offender was Detention centre for TWOC (joyriding). After that I went to Borstal. DC's & Borstals are no more as they are now called Young Offender Institutions such as Feltham which was a Borstal befor it becam a YOI
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
    X