Help remembering these two arcade game from 80's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help remembering these two arcade game from 80's

I used to play it as a kid when my grandad took me down the local workingmans club......all I can remeber is that it was a table top game that you sat down and played where you'd shoot down various alien ships that would come at you in waves....you could score a perfect which would appear on the screen if you shot down everything from one level.

At various points on each level a kind of bomb would advance down the screen sending out a sort of pulse in front of it which you would have to get directly in front of before destroying it before it got too far down the screen and self detonating and killing you from the shock waves.......another thing that might jog a memory is that as the enemies came at you in set patterns, you could sometimes position yourself in a given position and fire right through a whole wave at a time.

The other game I can't remember the name of is one where you'd have a different set of alien ships on each level that would all be exactly the same and they would hover before breaking off in groups of 2 or 3 at a time and coming down the screen at you....I think there was a level where they would all be yellow and another where they were all coloured pink.......any ideas??

Re: Help remembering these two arcade game from 80's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxian

Possibly Galaxian ?
    Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Missile Command?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-cD0XdyQ7s

Comment

Galaga?

Comment

Sounds like Galaga to me

Comment

Quite possibly Galaga. These machines could found in cafes has well. If memory serves me correct, there would be one or two players. For two player game, the second player would be sitting opposite the first. His/her turn would be when the first player lost a "life".

The second game you mention, rings a bell. I can't remember the name, but they seemed quite popular in pubs.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mc View Post
              I'd agree with this suggestion .
              I spent a lot of time and cash on those machines in my dinner hours !

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys...yes, the first game I was describing was Galaga (that bomb coming down the screen on the screenshot above is exactly what I was trying to describe)and the second was Galaxian, again the screenshot looks very familiar....cheers

Comment

OK guys, right I've just looked at these two games on youtube and although from the replies I thought these were the games, after watching them, they aren't, the main one that is bugging me is the game where the bomb advances down the screen, in galaga it captures you but in the one I'm thinking of it is smaller and it just advances down screen and detonates when it reaches the bottom, you can either get directly under it and fire and destroy it or you can hide right in the corner of the screen where its pulses can't get you.

As I said before it is a game where you can see the word "perfect" appear on the screen if you manage to shoot down all alien ships without them gewtting passed you and appearing back at the top for another wave of attack.

Can't remember much about the other game accept for the fact that on every level the alien ships were always the same type of ship and colour for every level and every type of ship changed to another colour on every level....so for the sake of argument you'd have all purple x-wings on level 1 and then all green tie fighters on level 2....not them though!!

Comment

Sound like Missile Command and Super Astro Fighter.

Comment

Could you be thinking of Moon Cresta? You get encouraging messages such as "RIGHT ON." and FAR OUT. Also a level where the aliens drop out of the sky onto you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xabughyUB4E

RIGHT ON at 3.05,
                      dropping aliens straight after that.
                      FAR OUT at 3.55

I don't know if it ever says PERFECT, though.

Comment

That Galaga game looks exactly like one of the games I'm on about, it's just that in my game the bomb didn't capture you like the one above, it detonated, and as I said, if you shot every ship down without it getting past you, it showed "perfect" on the screen.

Comment

Working...
                        X