Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One thing I dont miss

Originally posted by marc View Post
    Growing up in the 1970's, only three TV channels. Come Saturday, BBC1, Grandstand all afternoon. ITV, World of Sport all afternoon. BBC2, a boring old film that creaked with age.

This plus bladdy awful fake Saturday dinner time wrestling !!

My dad hated it as well thankfully ... I met Giant Haystacks once many years later ... My boss hired him to get a debt settled

Comment

Growing up in the 1970's, only three TV channels. Come Saturday, BBC1, Grandstand all afternoon. ITV, World of Sport all afternoon. BBC2, a boring old film that creaked with age.
      The sport channels 1 & 3 started around 12 and lasted till 5pm I found horse racing was tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
        One thing I dont miss from 60s & 70s was power cuts,when we had them you could guarantee the eletri would be off for hours,Torches would come out to hunt for the c andles,no tv on the radio to listen to if it was a battery operated one.
        I remember thinking it was great fun at the time, but adults no doubt viewed it differently. Candles were quite hard to come by in those days - they were plain, unscented, and you got them from hardware stores - so my dad used to improvise by putting paraffin in a jam jar and using a shoelace as a wick.

Comment

Originally posted by teepee View Post
          I remember thinking it was great fun at the time, but adults no doubt viewed it differently. Candles were quite hard to come by in those days - they were plain, unscented, and you got them from hardware stores - so my dad used to improvise by putting paraffin in a jam jar and using a shoelace as a wick.

It was those white candles in a box I only seem to remember not like today where you have fragrant colourful ones

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
            It was those white candles in a box I only seem to remember not like today where you have fragrant colourful ones
            My grandmother used to keep a supply of white candles wrapped up in old newspaper. She kept them in case there were more power cuts. She still had them up until her death in 1984.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

My grandmother used to keep a supply of white candles wrapped up in old newspaper. She kept them in case there were more power cuts. She still had them up until her death in 1984.
              Most households had them there seemed to be more power cuts then.These days you hardly get them if we do they get fixed pretty quick

Comment

My parents had some candles that normally came out for dinner parties, & occasionally if we had a long power cut.

Until it was eventually taken to the tip we had a paraffin heater in case of a long cold, but never needed it & it went rusty being left in the shed for years.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

one thing is that terrible loo roll it was very slippery and very rough to use.
                  Remember using it in school.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    one thing is that terrible loo roll it was very slippery and very rough to use.
                    Remember using it in school.
                    Izal I use to have to buy it for my Nan. Never understood why she would want it. Horrible stuff.
                    Heather

Comment

Oh it was called iza thnx for clearing that up.
                      Maybe she used it for tracing paper.

Horrible indeed.

Originally posted by heather74 View Post
                      izal i use to have to buy it for my nan. Never understood why she would want it. Horrible stuff.

Comment

Eorovision Song Contest. Not seen it for years, so hope it's been canned, as it entire dross lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                          Eorovision Song Contest. Not seen it for years, so hope it's been canned, as it entire dross lol
                          I havent watched it since Bucks Fizz Won with making your mind up in 1981

Comment

I thought it had improved as there are 1 or is it 2 qualifying rounds to weed out the not so good songs leaving just the cream to be in the final show.

Not watched it myself in say 15 yrs one reason being is certain countries always give good marks for others.

Originally posted by twocky61 View Post
                            eorovision song contest. Not seen it for years, so hope it's been canned, as it entire dross lol

Comment

When Terry Wogan did the Eurovision commentaries he was very good at mocking how certain countries would vote. I haven't watched it for many years.

Comment

Beauty Contests Miss World

Comment

Working...
                                X