Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School Rules (Specifically Those Unique To Your School)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Rules (Specifically Those Unique To Your School)

My Secondary School was described by some of those looking from the outside in as "An Exam Factory" - i.e. it was obsessed with results and league tables, in fact, it was at the time - early to late 1990's - the best performing Comprehensive in the area.

In order to hit these targets, our school had some rather draconian, or at least, over the top rules, which were a bit over and beyond what other schools that my friends attended at the same time contended with.

e.g. If you wanted a part-time job (such as Saturday work in a shop, or even just a paper round), you had to get a "Work Permit" from the school, and signed off by the head of year. If you was considered to be underperforming in your studies, this would be revoked, and anyone caught or seen working by the staff would be punished (a snotty letter to your parents or similar). Similarly, those who were expected to excel at their subjects would be denied this permit, as it was felt it would interfere with their studies and have a detrimental effect on their performances in the classroom.

Every pupil in our school had to do something which would benefit another pupil, or the wider school community, during a lunch hour, or after school. This would be something like helping younger students with "paired reading" or learning spellings; and those less academically gifted, plus the younger pupils would be allocated a manual job, such as cleaning, putting up displays or doing duties in the dining hall (being "Tray Monitors" or similar). I suppose the idea of this was to further discipline and command respect, but for most, it was seen as a further intrusion into the time which pupils should have had to let off steam.

Parent/school interaction was through "Homework Diaries" - I know some schools had these purely as a disciplinary measure, solely for those who had misbehaved, but our school had them from day one in Year 7, and even into sixth form. These were to be checked and signed off by parents and the form tutors each week. Some teachers seemed to take great delight in scrawling comments in red pen across Homework Diaries for the slightest mishap in class, often unfairly, as whole classes were punished with these comments if only one or two idiots had been causing the trouble. (My tactic was to get my mum to sign the diary just as she was leaving for work on a Monday morning, so she didn't have time to scrutinise the damned thing!)

The idea of this thread is to see if other schools had similar, or other regimented practices which were out of line with those of their friends at other schools at the same time. I suppose none of the above did me any harm, but it all seemed (and still seems, looking back) rather power-hungry.
    Last edited by Big Tim; 04-03-2016, 17:02.

Re: School Rules (Specifically Those Unique To Your School)

We had the "Homework Diary" in both my Secondary's Big Tim - though at my first one the signing by Teachers never amounted to much unlike the correspondence both way's at my 2nd School - though also to be honest I don't think they served much 9if any purpose) par a cheap way to see if Homework was done really (and at times this never amounted to being so correspondence-wise) and they definetly was not for other means of mis-behaviour neither!!!

We had Prefects at my2nd Secondary too - one girl I really truly wish I'd asked out upon fleetingly seeing and knowing her when I was in Y9 and She was in Y11/12 - but in the main Prefects served no purpose par being "mouthpieces" for the Teachers I feel/have always felt

Most other rules we had either became so through "Kids Rule" so to speak or was "Phantom Rules" I found that only existed as being so as and when (if ever either too)!

80sChav

Comment

We had a small, pocket sized, book of school rules, called The Brown Book (by us kids at least).

It had the school rules in minute detail. You were expected to not only know it inside out but always carry it with you.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Does it count as reliving my childhood if I've never grown up?

Comment

In about 1982 the fashion around Stoke on Trent was to wear 10 hole Doc Marten boots and drainpipe trousers. As our school uniform code was black trousers and black shoes it was within the rules to wear drainpipes that hardly covered your calf and 10 hole Docs. This resulted in a rule that your trousers had to reach your ankle. The girls at the time had taken to wearing shorter and shorter skirts and also had a rule introduced that said skirts must reach the knee and shoes should have no more than a 1 inch heel. We were proper rebels back then

Finnthedude.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnthedude View Post
          In about 1982 the fashion around Stoke on Trent was to wear 10 hole Doc Marten boots and drainpipe trousers. As our school uniform code was black trousers and black shoes it was within the rules to wear drainpipes that hardly covered your calf and 10 hole Docs. This resulted in a rule that your trousers had to reach your ankle. The girls at the time had taken to wearing shorter and shorter skirts and also had a rule introduced that said skirts must reach the knee and shoes should have no more than a 1 inch heel. We were proper rebels back then

Finnthedude.
          As well too as wearing your tie with just the thin part showing too hmm Finn

Another was Rice Pudding, Apple pie etc, or Blackcurrent Pie and yoghurt most days as deserts for Lunch or Cookies (before Jamie Oliver got in on cultural-ising School Dinners) like the kind of Cookie you get at Subway before too Health Addicts probably banned them at Schools too!

Who else can recall the old story about only having 6Chips on your plate at lunch too? This was often heard before I left Primary School and though it was a "bit wide of the margin" to pardon the pun on Schools - the amount we got that wasn't poxy never hurt us, having Chips most day's neither, like Health food fanatics like Jamie Oliver would have you believe and think!!

80schav

Comment

When a lot of schools started getting in private caterers to do the dinners standards slipped a lot, I wasn't having them by then (or at school at all!), but my Mum mentioned that schools were always going for the lowest bids to save money.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

No year below 3rd Year (though 2nd Years sometimes was accepted) to wear your Tie with just the thin part showing (Aka the thin way)! If a 4th Year or way forbid a 5th saw you donning it (a tough 5th Year) your life was hell until it froze over = which invarably is never), so you had a long wait to be forgiven!!

80sChav

Comment

If you had your tie thin-ways you had to tuck in the whole of the proper part (why though I dunno) lol!!

Does anybody else know why!?

80sChav

Comment

It was so your tie looked like a thin tie. If you had the fat part showing behind it you'd not get the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                    It was so your tie looked like a thin tie. If you had the fat part showing behind it you'd not get the same effect.
                    True I guess Muulletino ... though we had some geeks/cry babies that did the latter or even "false thin" too lol

80sChav

Comment

This was equisite in itself mullentino mate yer Though saying this mine had so many - I even probably have some jotted down in that "booklet/mag type thing" they gave us in 1988 - as though that School was a right dump of the extreme order - that "mag" from Induction Day (will never be parted from me) as old and as falling to bits and as decrepid as he is!!

That and learning how to fend for myself against Bullies and rancid people - are the two greatest things to come out of that School (as a result) and if parts of it are legable - I am sure it has unique rules 100%

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by Finnthedude View Post

Finnthedude.
                        We had the "old Docs" too Finn mate - but about 10 years later (or 7 or so). I recall being amazed on discovering for the first time a Docs Shop in Blackpool (who about 5 years later, it became common knowledge Max Griggs was funding/bankrolling Rushden and Diamonds to their extremley short stay in the elite 92 of the Football Leauge)

Going back to the thread generally - whata bout "back-papoering" your rough books in any kind of Wallppaper possible too .... generaly by a strange twist of name to the thread (from Fads Wallpaper shop)!!

Now I have said this about Fads I'll have to make a thread on that now ..... no doubts!

80sChav

Comment

Well true guess so on reflection Mullentino mate yer! Thinking about this too - though a lot of us pushed the Boundaries and though we worte the Tier/Uniform (but not how School wanted - but we still wore the thing), another crazy rule wa obviously in Art, H.E, Metalwork they was worried about your Tie meeting a mincer, so you had to tuck it in and idealy in the top button (my School's demanded), yeah this makes sense but in theory lessons like Maths/English they detested it as so!

80sChav

Comment

We had to wear aprons in metal/woodwork so the tie in the machinery wasn't so much of an issue. I seem to remember the workshops also being cold all the time so jumpers were also a necessity and helped with the tie control situation, although my Pierre Cardin cardigan wasn't much cop at holding the tie in as the neck line was quite low.

Comment

We had to wear aprons in metal/woodwork so the tie in the machinery wasn't so much of an issue. I seem to remember the workshops also being cold all the time so jumpers were also a necessity and helped with the tie control situation, although my Pierre Cardin cardigan wasn't much cop at holding the tie in as the neck line was quite low.
                              We had similar but not with the Jumper Mullentino, but even doing our ties as so like me and you (thin) we then started just to show the knot, as as you said showing the proper part underneath looked daft when visable = just then showuing the knot as so. Was you refering to it dune thin (re above), yes?

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X