Why only the 70s 80s, and 90s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why only the 70s 80s, and 90s?

This is an interesting site but I wonder why it covers only those 3 decades? Granted the "noughties" are too recent to have much nostalgia for, the 30s and 40s are probably too remote for most people to relate to. But what about the 50s and 60s? I myself didn't live during those decades, but I can imagine quite a few people would have nostalgic memories.

Re: Why only the 70s 80s, and 90s?

I'm guessing the 50s & 60s have had enough "baby boomer" coverage already.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

hi mate.

i think your referring to the site 70.80 and 90's.

Most people on here id say where born in those decades but there are some threads topics that go back further or are in the 2000's.

Originally posted by lemonlime View Post
      this is an interesting site but i wonder why it covers only those 3 decades? Granted the "noughties" are too recent to have much nostalgia for, the 30s and 40s are probably too remote for most people to relate to. But what about the 50s and 60s? I myself didn't live during those decades, but i can imagine quite a few people would have nostalgic memories.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember when the Aberfan disaster happened on 21st Oct 1966.When 116 children perished along side 20 odd adults including 2 young 21 year old teachers and the headmistress,the worst disaster in Wales it was horrific

Comment

One of my Dad's cousins helped with the rescue at Aberfan, & helped to dig for survivors.

I remember watching How We Used To Live set in 1966 which mentioned Aberfan, as some of the characters were on a rugby tour of South Wales at the time it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by lemonlime View Post
            This is an interesting site but I wonder why it covers only those 3 decades? Granted the "noughties" are too recent to have much nostalgia for, the 30s and 40s are probably too remote for most people to relate to. But what about the 50s and 60s? I myself didn't live during those decades, but I can imagine quite a few people would have nostalgic memories.
            I think I'm the baby on this forum so the 'noughties' now have some nostalgia for me. I find the 90s a bit thin on the ground here compared with the 70s and 80s. The 1950s and 60s have had more than enough 'baby boomer' coverage elsewhere. IMO the media is biased towards the 'baby boomer' generation and doesn't provide enough for the younger folk.

Comment

Even the 1980s nostalgia seems thin on the ground, compared to how big 1970s pop culture was in the 1990s.

I was expecting it to kick in sometimes post Millennium, but it never really arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                I remember when the Aberfan disaster happened on 21st Oct 1966.When 116 children perished along side 20 odd adults including 2 young 21 year old teachers and the headmistress,the worst disaster in Wales it was horrific
                Yes, I vaguely remember it being reported
                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  One of my Dad's cousins helped with the rescue at Aberfan, & helped to dig for survivors.

I remember watching How We Used To Live set in 1966 which mentioned Aberfan, as some of the characters were on a rugby tour of South Wales at the time it happened.
                  Was he living local at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    Was he living local at the time?
                    Yes in Trod-y-Rhiw.

Comment

70's/80's/90's I reckon are iconic decades
                      sigpic
                      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

60's would be full of clowns telling you how great the Beatles were..

I wouldn't even include the 90's

Dreadful decade IMHO

Comment

Born in the 60s, grew up in the 70s, life education in the 80s, cynical in the 90s, bored in the 00s, settling down in the 10s...
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Growing up in the 60s remembering the coal fires,hard winters with lots of snow
                            Avengers on tv
                            Harold Wilson as the labour PM
                            The great Train Robbery of 1963
                            Milk bottles in crates ready for school break time
                            The Mini Skirts

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                              I wouldn't even include the 90's

Dreadful decade IMHO
                              Why was the 90s a dreadful decade?

We might have had dial-up internet and mobile phones that were just phones. Kids TV programmes weren't generally as good as those from the 80s. What we didn't have back then was this so called war on terror that's been going on since 9/11 and will probably last for the rest of this century. The 90s could be described as a reasonably benign period between the fall of the Berlin Wall and the fall of the Twin Towers.

Comment

Working...
                              X