Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazingly obscure BookTower (I think) dramatisation from the early eighties (I think)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazingly obscure BookTower (I think) dramatisation from the early eighties (I think)

Okay, help here would be really welcome as no-one seems to recall this at all. And it's driving me nuts.

If I recall correctly, it was one of those dramatisations that used to feature in The Book Tower. Remember those? The programme used to feature live-action adaptations of various books. I remember the one based on Nicholas Fisk's 'Grinny' to be particularly chilling (at least I think Book Tower used to have these dramatisations - though for all I know it could have been an entirely different programme). Anyhow, this is about another of those adaptations.

This one was about a midget whose name was something like Namian or Naymeon. That's how it sounded anyway, and I can remember that quite clearly. He wore a green tunic type thing which I think was made out of interlaced leaves, and he carried a small dagger. It was set in our world, but I think this Namian character might have come from another world or time or something. I recall very little else about it, save for two scenes - one where he was in a pub and buying a drink and pie, and another one where he was freaking out in a cinema (oh, and just remembered - I think he managed to get the cinemagoers to start chanting his name, over and over). And that's pretty much all I can remember, other than that it was shown...around the late 70s, early eighties, I think.

I'm asking because I'm seriously curious about the book this adaption was presumably based on, and I'm pretty sure it featured in the Book Tower - though it could have been an entirely different show for all I can remember. So any help on this would be very much appreciated, ta.

Re: Amazingly obscure BookTower (I think) dramatisation from the early eighties (I th

https://childrensbookshop.com/book-83410.html

Comment

Re: Amazingly obscure BookTower (I think) dramatisation from the early eighties (I th

Good work fella

Comment

@Nostalgiaguy

That's the one! Yes!! Thank you!

Comment

You're welcome, MalcolmAndSheldon. And thank you for for providing such a detailed, accurate description.

Incidentally, those old Book Tower dramatisations - good as they were - always used to frustrate me somewhat, as they would only dramatise most of the story, and leave out the ending. Obviously, they wanted you to read the book for yourself to find out what happened. I remember that in the story, the policeman may have been terminally ill, or something like that, and wanted to capture Namien before time ran out. Can anyone tell me how the story ends?

Comment

Working...
          X