Stamp collecting anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stamp collecting anyone?

Last weekend I wandered into an old fashioned stamp and coin shop whilst visiting a beautiful city Wiltshire. It's the first time I had been in one for over 30 years.

Now as a kid I collected stamps as if they were going out of fashion. Every second kid I knew collected them. We had a school stamp club(fun), a town philatelic society(boring) and several places we could buy stamps in the town where I lived which also formed unofficial meeting places for us to hang out. Even the charity shops sold stamps for pennies. Blue Peter had it's stamp appeals and the program even regularly added to the Blue Peter stamp album. Even the post office had it's Stamp bug club in the early 80's.It really was a big hobby back then and not just a fad as so many things seem today. It really was cool to be a stamp collector.

During my visit to this stamp shop I quickly noticed I was probably the youngest person there, and I'm no spring chicken. It came as a bit of a shock. I am assuming if there are new people entering into the hobby then they must be secretly collecting using the internet. Then again is it one of those once great hobbies that's gradually disappearing with the ageing population of collectors?

One memory I have is certainly something you won't come across today. Many of us back in the mid-late 70's used to work our way into town to buy stamps from a charity shop. This particular shop (TOC-H),was unlike anything else around. It was down a back alley just off town centre that lead across the bottom of peoples gardens to a small old Victorian brick coalman's shed. It was a dark and dingy place with plaster and paper peeling from the walls and water staining on the ceiling. The old carpet if you did not keep moving you stuck to quite firmly. No doubt the building was close to being condemned. Inside it had bad light and smelt really musty. There was two rooms. The first you entered into from a dark green door with an old heavy latch. This was a room stacked to the ceiling with old books. turning around you were confronted with an ominous black wooden door that lead into the back room. Around the walls of this room were stacked more books. In the centre was a small table and some rather old moth eaten arm chairs. You would always be greeted by the strong smell of pipe tobacco and the barking of what sounded like a large dog and the crackling of an open fire in winter. It was in reality no dog but an old podgy old man who sat there hunched over in his green tweed jacket and tie. He knew what we had come for, a twinkle showing in his eye as he took his pipe from his mouth and tapping it into a half full ashtray to empty it. What can I do for you lads today he used to remark as he inspected his pipe and refilled it. Then he proceeded to place old tobacco tins on the table. Each tin contained postage stamps and the smell of the old tobacco left in the tin with the stamps entered our nostrils. Knowing we were happy going though these tins he relit his pipe and occasionally let out a cluster of load cough's like the barking of a large dog again. Funny thing was buying from this shop was rather like illegal dealings with something else. Today looking back it was another world, and certainly even in the 70's felt as if I had wandered back into another long past era.

Today the ally that lead to the coalman's shed is there but the shed itself was eventually demolished in the 1980's to make way for a new shopping centre.

I would love to hear of anyone else's tales of stamps collecting.

Re: Stamp collecting anyone?

From around 7 to 16 years of age I was an avid stamp collector. There was a stamp club at our school that met at lunchtime once per week and run by the metalwork teacher. There would be various stamps for sale, though I don't know where they came from and if our teacher was on a cut. We also sold or exchanged between ourselves and just chatted about stamps. The teacher was quite knowledgeable and would tell us about various stamps.

I remember that newsagents and other shops sold packets of various stamps at pocket money prices. You would also see advertisements for stamps in comics and magazines..."50 triangular stamps" or "100 assorted stamps" and so forth, and you would send a postal order and wait for your stamps to arrive in the post.

I used to like collecting stamps from South Africa. There would often be 2 stamps still attached by their perforations. One would be in English and say "South Africa" and the other would be in Afrikaans and say "Suid Afrika".

Libraries would hold copies of the Stanley Gibbons stamp catalogue, a very thick book showing current values for stamps from all nations. I think Stanley Gibbons also published a stamp magazine.

I still have my stamp album, complete with the stamps I bought or exchanged. Remember the albums where you had to stick a stamp on a page via a gummed hinge? I had one but it was so fiddly. The one I have now--had it since 1974--is the type with the clear plastic strips that you put stamps into--much easier to take stamps out and put them back.

Comment

I used to collect stamps when I was a kid but nothing rare...
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
        I used to collect stamps when I was a kid but nothing rare...
        Me too .

I remember buying packets of stamps from Boots or W H Smiths could have been 50 in a pack when opened they were ones I already had, ended up being so frustrating by that

Comment

I seem to remember that there were advertisements where you could buy stamps on approval, though I never did that.

Comment

I got a Stanley Gibbons book one year in the 1980s for Xmas.

It came with a packet of used stamps which me & my Dad stuck in with those hinges.

For a time afterwards I collected & stuck in many stamps, but eventually got too far behind.

It covered every British stamp from the penny black to the mid 1980s, & had a few blank pages for ones not featured.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember how excited I was when I collected a full set of Canadian stamps and found in the Stanley Gibbons catalogue that the full set was worth £1--this was around 1974, when a pound was actually a lot of money for a kid. Still have them in my album and wouldn't part with any of my collection as it brings back so many memories of good days sadly long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                Me too .

I remember buying packets of stamps from Boots or W H Smiths could have been 50 in a pack when opened they were ones I already had, ended up being so frustrating by that
                I lived in a village and the local Post Office had packs of stamps like that

Comment

I remember their were a few appeals for used stamps, which I guess went into those packs. I remember my parents collecting them up in the early 1990s.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Wasn't it one of the children's TV programmes that had stamp appeals? Blue Peter or Magpie?

Comment

Blue Peter's stamp appeals were pretty hot stuff in their day.

My primary school used to collect stamps for charity along side milk bottle tops.

The great thing these days is Royal mail has over the years released many great stamps featuring all sorts of nostalgic subjects from classic Dr Who, Fashion, comics, Roald Dahl, Children's TV, Beatles Albums, and many more. Even good old Sooty has appeared on a British stamp.The downside is that a full set of stamps from the Post Office is so expensive I need to take out a mortgage.

Comment

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

As a kid in the 1970s, there was a local newsagent which sold small packets of foreign stamps - and I was quite an avid customer. As nerdy as it sounds, it was actually quite an enthralling little hobby, in that it was akin to acquiring small cultural artefacts from faraway exotic places. I was always fond of Brazilian stamps, as they always seemed colourful, happy and usually featured sports - mostly football. And Brazil seemed like an eternity away.

You have to remember that to a kid back then, the world seemed a hell of a lot bigger (owing to distinct lack of internet) and any foreign country further than France seemed almost as enticingly mysterious as Shangri-La or El Dorado. I did go through another phase of stamp collecting as an adult, but...as you can imagine, it just wasn't the same.

Comment

I remember those packets sold in hobby shops and toy shops. There were two different packets, one of US stamps and the other of foreign stamps. Of the latter the ones I remember vividly were the Spanish stamps with Franco on them and this Indian stamp as both were very common.

Comment

Back in the 00s, I took my first day cover collection to Stanley Gibbons on The Strand to sell - they said they weren't worth buying (despite a book value in double figures for some)!

Comment

Working...
                              X