Local TV Adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local TV Adverts

Back in the days when ITV was split up into different regions you used to get local advertising. Does anyone remember any of these? Londoners may remember a strange one for a Liquor store from around 1982 which started with a caption saying 'Freddie Barrett needs your money' before the guy himself sung 'Barrett's, Barrett's, come to Barrett's. Barrett's Liquor Mart, yeahhh!' Or how about Brentford Nylons or 'When you walk through the door, your pound's worth more. At Williams, where else?'. Post any that you remember!

Re: Local TV Adverts

I was living in Devon from the mid-70s till I went to Uni in the mid-80s - local adverts were dire, amateur things, mostly about farming and the like... :cry:
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I've heard there were some companies selling farming supplies that only advertised during programmes on farming.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My uncle grew up on a farm and I'm sure said something about a local channel specifically for farming, could've been cable? And who knows about advertising!

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMort View Post
          Back in the days when ITV was split up into different regions you used to get local advertising. Does anyone remember any of these? Londoners may remember a strange one for a Liquor store from around 1982 which started with a caption saying 'Freddie Barrett needs your money' before the guy himself sung 'Barrett's, Barrett's, come to Barrett's. Barrett's Liquor Mart, yeahhh!' Or how about Brentford Nylons or 'When you walk through the door, your pound's worth more. At Williams, where else?'. Post any that you remember!
          I remember ALL of those!
          I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Williams advert - I think it was with a singer called Pearly Gates - I've been searching for that one. Freddie Barret also used to advertise on the radio, as I recall. See one of his TV ads at the end of this break.

After some serious searching, I finally managed to find an ad for "Marley Homecare, number one in DIY." which was regional too.

Comment

thanks to recorded tv I no longer have to suffer Ads.

Comment

No, the Williams as had a lot of people talking on here... Still can't find a copy of it though...

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                thanks to recorded tv I no longer have to suffer Ads.
                you should be ashamed of yourself. coming on here and making a comment like that!

I'm mean...really...

Comment

Comment

When I saw the title of this thread, I was thinking of the Central region back in the 1980s, and when DFS only had stores in Darley Dale near Matlock, and Tamworth Road Measham.

But I remember some local gems such as Don Amott Caravans ("the price is right and the choice is yours"), accompanied by cartoon lion with crown on. Gullivers' Kingdom, Swithland Motors, leave to Lee Longlands, and others. I used to love Central when it had Birmingham bias.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                    X