X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ace of Wands/Free Wheelers

Who remembers these two kids series?
    sigpic
    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Re: Ace of Wands/Free Wheelers

I remember both, Freewheelers a bit more than Ace of Wands. Freewheelers was very exciting, or that's what I thought at the time. Some tie-in novels were written and I had one. I think the villan in the early series was a former nazi and had a boat. Ace of Wands was also good, but I read somewhere that many episodes have been lost.

Comment

Yes, I recall them both, too!

Freewheelers was shown (is still being shown?) on an obscure digital channel; series three (sadly, the only survivor) of Ace Of Wands was released on DVD a few years back.

Attached Files
      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I certainly remember ace of wands. Tarot was a good character and I particularly remember his owl.It was replaced on TV by another iconic children's serial, Tomorrows people. I have a feeling the complete 1st and 2nd seasons have been lost with only the third and final season remaining.

Comment

The boat that so often featured in Freewheelers was the one owned by Southern TV and used for news reporting.

Comment

Ace Of Wands was pretty wild for a teen show; it probably got complaints from vicars over the occult trappings it had.

I wish we could see the first two series.

Freewheelers had former Dr. Who girl Wendy Padbury and also former Bugaloo Caroline Ellis apparently. I never saw the show; should be fun to see one or two sometime.
            My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
              It was replaced on TV by another iconic children's serial, Tomorrows people.
              The Tomorrow People?

Comment

The Tomorrow People was about a bunch of teenage time travellers
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Not quite, Twocky. The Tomorrow People were telepaths, able to communicate telepathically with each other, and were supposed to be mankind's next step up the evolutionary ladder. They could "jaunt" i.e. teleport with the aid of a special belt they wore and had a talking computer called Tim. They did occasionally travel in time during the series, but it wasn't the basis of the show as it is in Dr. Who.

Comment

The intro and ending to Ace of Wands, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD48Xe8ul28

Ace was more of a detective program for children. Talking of telepaths Tarot had a telepathic link with his pet owl.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                      Not quite, Twocky. The Tomorrow People were telepaths, able to communicate telepathically with each other, and were supposed to be mankind's next step up the evolutionary ladder. They could "jaunt" i.e. teleport with the aid of a special belt they wore and had a talking computer called Tim. They did occasionally travel in time during the series, but it wasn't the basis of the show as it is in Dr. Who.
                      I forgot that bit; the teleportation. Thanks Staffslad

Talking of which Kip Thorne & Stephen Hawkin reckon if & when we can teleport "Beam Me Up Scotty" style woukld we actually teleport or would a facsimile of us appear at the other end?
                      sigpic

Comment

There was a Star Trek story (possibly only in book form) where Bones and Kirk debated this: Bones said that the body was "killed" then "recreated" at the other end, so wasn't it murder to "beam" someone up?

Comment

Working...
                        X