Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of my favourite lesser known horror films.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of my favourite lesser known horror films.

THIS IS JUST A SMALL SELECTION.

Tombs of the blind dead 1971
    blind dead 3 the ghost galleon 1974

Texas chainsaw massacre 1974
    slugs 1988

THE BEYOND 1981
    HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY 1981

the children 1980
    the slayer 1982

day of the dead 1985
    INFERNO 1980

INVADERS FROM MARS 1953

zombie 1979

suspiria 1977
    Last edited by darren; 25-07-2017, 15:25.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Re: Some of my favourite lesser known horror films.

don't forget the driller killer.

Comment

Originally posted by big kid View Post
      don't forget the driller killer.
      That was on the "Video Nasties" list for years, I remember a film buff friend of my reckoned it would never be officially released, but at the end of the 1990s a lot of nasties were.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember a Hammer one with a woman who was an Ancient Egyptian Vampire. May have turned into a black cat or just had one around. For some reason it scared me a bit.

I saw Suspiria not so many years ago, very weird but it made sense, and had Joan Bennett in it who was earlier in the Dark Shadows gothic soap (and many movies before that).

Another I remember liking was Blood On Satan's Claw which had Anthony Ainley and Wendy Padbury... one was pre-Dr. Who and the other post.
        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          That was on the "Video Nasties" list for years, I remember a film buff friend of my reckoned it would never be officially released, but at the end of the 1990s a lot of nasties were.

i have driller killer on dvd. one of my aunts bought it from one of the pound shops when they first started to sell dvds.

Comment

Wendy padbury post anthony ainley pre.

The hammer one could have been blood from the mummys tomb with valerie leon.

Was quite a few hammers with an egyptian theme

GLAD U GOT TO SEE SUSPIRIA VERY ATMOSPHERIC.

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post
            i remember a hammer one with a woman who was an ancient egyptian vampire. May have turned into a black cat or just had one around. For some reason it scared me a bit.

I saw suspiria not so many years ago, very weird but it made sense, and had joan bennett in it who was earlier in the dark shadows gothic soap (and many movies before that).

Another i remember liking was blood on satan's claw which had anthony ainley and wendy padbury... One was pre-dr. Who and the other post.

Comment

Psychomania

Attached Files
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

A few more.

City of the living dead 1980
                living dead at the manchester morgue 1974

deep red 1975
                squirm 1976
                cujo 1983

the pit 1981 stars sammy snyders from huckleberry finn.

Death ship 1980
                house by the cemetery 1981
                dolls 1987

the keep 1983
                the entity 1982
                superstition 1982
                dont go in the house 1980

Comment

I remember enjoying "Dolls" very much when it first came out to rent. I preferred it to the similar "Puppet Master", though "Dolls" didn't spawn the sequels that "Puppet Master" did.

The Egyptian vampire does sound like "Blood from the Mummy's Tomb". Peter Cushing was supposed to be in it, but had to pull out after the death of his wife.

Comment

Basket Case (1982)
                    Near Dark (1987)
                    The Hitcher (1986)
                    Possession (1981)
                    Eraserhead (1977)

Comment

Ah, thanks! Blood from the Mummy's Tomb was the title, I looked up some stills with google image search! I'd never have remembered the title being it was so generic. I must have been really young when it scared me, hadn't even been to a funeral yet.

Probably good I'd never seen any puppet or doll horror movies, they would have put me off Gerry Anderson, Clangers and Sooty!

I have had very few dolls though, always have had lots of furry stuffies though... I wonder if anyone has thought to make scary movies about them? I remember a fairly morose and almost gloomy old Teddy Bear's Picnic song that actually did scare me a bit; the idea of those pretend bears out in the woods doing things without any humans!!! Brrr. The song was a warning to us. Luckily later I found the Bad Manners version... Oi! Buster Bloodvessel would protect me I'm sure!
                      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Here are some of my favourites:

Return of the Living Dead (1984) Wonderfully entertaining low budget zombie movie with gorgeous Linnea Quigley doing her strip atop a tomb. Some genuinely funny moments, but those zombies are still scary. Sequels inevitably followed.

From a Whisper to a Scream (1986) Very effective anthology with Vincent Price as a town librarian telling a reporter about the macabre history of the town. Four very decent and bloody tales ensue.

Slumber Party Massacre (1982) Written as a feminist parody of slasher movies, though I am not sure the producers saw it that way. Anyway, forget that and enjoy scantily clad girls being stalked by a power drill wielding maniac in their sorority house. Quite a few funny moments and spawned several sequels. This one launched Brinke Stevens as a scream queen.

Hell Night (1981) A slightly chubby Linda Blair takes part in a college hazing in a supposedly haunted house, with others setting up various effects to scare the hazees, but a deformed maniac spoils the night and stalks the attendees. Not the bloodiest slasher, but quite effective.

Happy Birthday to Me (1981) Melissa Sue Anderson (Mary from Little House on the Prairie) is a disturbed college girl whose friends are killed off by a killer. Lots of red herrings and a surprise ending, which is very effective. Veteren actor Glenn Ford plays Anderson's psychiatrist.

Theatre of Blood (1973) Vincent Price as a Shakespearean actor who seemingly commits suicide after being ignored for an award by a group of critics. Said critics begin to die in ways featured in the Bard's plays. VP is wonderful in his role and there is a great cast of British stalwarts of the time, while the killings are rather bloody for 1973.

Tales from the Crypt (1972) One of Amicus's best anthology movies. Stories based on tales featured in EC horror comics from the 1950s. Joan Collins is a murderess stalked by a maniac dressed as Santa on Christmas Eve in one story, while Peter Cushing won an award for his performance as a kind and lonely old man driven to his death by heartless neighbours, and rising from his grave to seek revenge in another.

Death Line (1973) The London Underground is being stalked by someone or something hiding in the tunnels. Donald Pleasance plays the policeman tasked with finding out what is going on.

Slaughter High (1986) British made slasher pretending to be American. A group of ex-high school students attend a reunion but the school is deserted. A crazed classmate, bullied and accidentally burned by them in a prank, shows up and stalks them, but all is not as it appears. Caroline Munro was in her mid-30s when she made this and is at least 10 years older than the part she plays (as is the rest of the cast), but darn she is still scorching hot. Tragically, the actor who plays the killer took his life after completing the film.

Night of the Demons (1987) Yet another group of teens (though played by actors considerably older) hold a party at a supposedly haunted house on Halloween night. They manage to summon a demonic force that possesses them and the usual killings occur. Another opportunity for Linnea Quigley to display her charms and show why she was such a good scream queen. Some very good effects.

Demons (1985) Italian made shocker in which a group of cinemagoers, trapped inside the theatre, are infected by demons. There are lots of bloody and gooey effects as a small group try to escape...but what awaits them outside? Very fast moving and there was an inferior, but still enjoyable, sequel. Beware, there is a Demons 3: The Ogre, which has nothing to do with Demons/Demons 2, and is dreadful.

The Blob (1988) Remake of the 1950s classic. A meteor holds a creature that absorbs any living thing it touches, growing steadily larger. It is up to several teenagers to stop it before it is too late. Good effects work.

Comment

BLOOD BEACH 1980
                          Something or someone is attacking people one by one on the beach. Some of them are mutilated, but most of them are sucked into the sand, disappearing without a trace. What is the creature responsible? Where does it live, and where did it come from? And is there any chance of it reproducing? Meanwhile, David Huffman and Mariana Hill are once-almost-married old friends, reunited over the death of her mother on the beach, and searching for clues in the abandoned buildings where they used to play when they were young.

PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES 1966
                          Young workers are dying because of a mysterious epidemic in a little village in Cornwall. Doctor Thompson is helpless and asks professor James Forbes for help. The professor and his daughter Sylvia travel to Thomson. Terrible things happen soon, beyond imagination or reality. Dead people are seen near an old, unused mine. Late people seem to live suddenly.

THE STUFF 1985
                          A delicious, mysterious goo that oozes from the earth is marketed as the newest dessert sensation, but the tasty treat rots more than teeth when zombie-like snackers who only want to consume more of the strange substance at any cost begin infesting the world.

INFERNO 1980
                          An American college student in Rome and his sister in New York investigate a series of killings in both locations where their resident addresses are the domain of two covens of witches.

Last edited by darren; 29-07-2017, 13:14.

Comment

Beach-goers being sucked into the sand in Blood Beach reminded me so much of how the aliens in Invaders from Mars (1953) kidnapped people.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                              I remember enjoying "Dolls" very much when it first came out to rent. I preferred it to the similar "Puppet Master", though "Dolls" didn't spawn the sequels that "Puppet Master" did.

The Egyptian vampire does sound like "Blood from the Mummy's Tomb". Peter Cushing was supposed to be in it, but had to pull out after the death of his wife.
                              My all time spook fave is The innocents (1960). Based on the Henry James novel Turn Of the Screw, it tells the story of a young woman who is employed as governess to a boy and girl who lived with their housekeeper in an old, isolated country house. Several days after arriving the governess sees a series of apparitions.. Shortly after the children begin acting strangtely. This is the beginning of a living nitemare for the young governess. Has any one else seen this excellent gothic thriller?

Comment

Working...
                              X