This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A trip down memory lane

My first memory of the movies was back in the sixties when I and a couple of mates would sneak into our old hometown picture theatre thru a loose wooden board. We managed to get away with it for some time until the manager finally twigged and threatened to ban us and if we did it again to tell our parents or the police. I do not recall the title of my first movie but I was a devotee of the old American serials and the Disney cartoons. We would gorge ourselves on the confectionery treats at that time. Recall the choo choo licorice bars, choc wrapped fantales with a bio of a famous movie star on the wrapper and this yummy sherbet like item that you sucked as you spun it on a string. I kid you not. Anyone else have an anecdote of their first cinema experience?

Re: A trip down memory lane

My uncle use to take me to see James Bond films in the 70s. I was about 9, 10 and 11 years. I am sure they were rated AA. I think you had to be okder than 12 maybe

Comment

Carry on Camping late 60's at the Regency Cinema now Regency Bingo Hall in Cirencester Gloucestershire UK
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

my cousins were going to the cinema to watch jaws and they took me and another of their younger cousins with them. we were both 5 years old. when we got there, they surrounded us and ushered us through to the screen it was being shown on.

Comment

Saturday matinees at a cinema in Wembley which no longer exists...
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

the cinema i used to go to as a kid. sadly got demolished a while back.

Attached Files

Comment

Where is that Big Kid. Sydney somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by spookiemoviemania View Post
                Where is that Big Kid. Sydney somewhere?
                it used to be in bolton, england. where i live.

Comment

sleeping beauty at the Odeon Barnsley early 1970s

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                    My uncle use to take me to see James Bond films in the 70s. I was about 9, 10 and 11 years. I am sure they were rated AA. I think you had to be okder than 12 maybe
                    James Bond films were A certificate so you'd have been fine

Comment

My local cinema only had 2 screens. My mum took me, my younger sister and my mate to see the Little Mermaid. Robocop 2 was playing in the other screen at the same time. Me and my mate tried to sneek in to Robocop. Instead of just quickly nipping in and grabbing a seat we looked at the screen and were like "aw yesss, Robocop". An usher busted us straight away and was going to kick us out but I managed to talk him into letting us go back into the screen that we were paid into.

The year I turned 12 was the year the 12 certificate became a thing. I think Uncle Buck was the first film in the UK to get a 12 rating. Me and a mate went to see it but we were both still 11 at the time and were a little bit worried about not getting in. No one batted an eyelid when we paid in to Uncle Buck.

Comment

I remember going to see Star Wars and it was the first time i'd ever seen a queue go down the road and round the corner. I also remember going to see Tron on my birthday when i was ill.
                        I loved the old foyer's where the sweet shop was below some flowing stairs up to the auditoriums and they sold "programmes" for the film you were about to see, with awesome A4 sized stills from the movie in the windows in the foyer. Later on I had a few of the Empire Strikes Back ones, wish I still had them.
                        Dolly Mixtures always remind me of the cinema as a kid for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                          I remember going to see Star Wars and it was the first time i'd ever seen a queue go down the road and round the corner. I also remember going to see Tron on my birthday when i was ill.
                          I loved the old foyer's where the sweet shop was below some flowing stairs up to the auditoriums and they sold "programmes" for the film you were about to see, with awesome A4 sized stills from the movie in the windows in the foyer. Later on I had a few of the Empire Strikes Back ones, wish I still had them.
                          Dolly Mixtures always remind me of the cinema as a kid for some reason.

I can't remember if the cinema sweets were as ridiculously priced back then as they are now? When I went to see Trainspotting 2 it was £4 for a bag of Fruit Pastilles or Malteasers.

My aunt took me to see Return to Oz. I remember she bought me an ice lolly off the girl who would appear in a couple of times during the film. She had a wearable tray and would stand under a little light at the fire exit. Don't think they do the mid-film sweet treat sales any more.

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                            I can't remember if the cinema sweets were as ridiculously priced back then as they are now? When I went to see Trainspotting 2 it was £4 for a bag of Fruit Pastilles or Malteasers.

My aunt took me to see Return to Oz. I remember she bought me an ice lolly off the girl who would appear in a couple of times during the film. She had a wearable tray and would stand under a little light at the fire exit. Don't think they do the mid-film sweet treat sales any more.
                            I always used to go for those little tubs of ice-cream with the wooden spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by moogleymog View Post
                              I always used to go for those little tubs of ice-cream with the wooden spoon.

I used to love an ice-cream tub, with loads of raspberry sauce. God only knows what that would have cost my aunt in the cinema, I never had to pay. Wouldn't be surprised if a 2 scoop tub was about a fiver in a cinema today.

The cinema I saw Trainspotting 2 at has an Asda beside it. We went there for our sweets and crisps before heading for the film. Asda do their own pick and mix but even their's is quite expensive. You pay for the size of the cup rather than the weight so you mash the sweets down hard so you can get as much in as possible. Good fun picking it apart during your film...

Comment

Working...
                              X