No announcement yet.

30Yrs Ago Was the Great Storm Of 1987.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30Yrs Ago Was the Great Storm Of 1987.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...icane-11344443

30 Years Ago Can You Believe it. does anyone remember what they we're doing when the storm hit or remembering waking up to see the carnage it brought.

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Re: 30Yrs Ago Was the Great Storm Of 1987.

Originally posted by onthebusesfan View Post
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...icane-11344443

30 Years Ago Can You Believe it. does anyone remember what they we're doing when the storm hit or remembering waking up to see the carnage it brought.
    I live too far North to be directly affected, but remember it being on the news a lot.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I cant think of it now.
      I was only 11 or 12 at the time

but ive heard a lot about it from people who say it was pretty bad.

Been all over the radio too.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yeah our power went out due to having overhead lines and downed trees, including the cooking apple tree in our front garden that took out the power cable to our roof. We had no power for a week, so was a week of candles, no TV and cold baths, which was hell for me as I was into Computer Games.
        I remember a massive tree on one of the local roads got felled, it was really old too.
        Ii can't remember if it was before or afterwards but I remember being with a mate up the top of the Victoria Circus precinct in Southend outside C&As and it was so windy you could lean at a 45 degree angle into the wind without falling over.

Comment

Remember it well!

No trains so I walked from Upton Park to Whitechapel and caught the first city-bound Tube of the day!

Gordon Kaye, of 'Allo 'Allo fame, was badly injured and some think that may have contributed to his early death some years later...
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

just hope they get the predictions right this time around.

Comment

We were on a holiday boat on the Thames moored in Maidenhead. I slept right through it. Woke up to seeing trees floating past. The boat was self contained so we had power, light, heat, water, and food, sat watching what little tv was being broadcast. The hire firm wouldn't let us stay on and got us home by road to discover we would've been far better off left on the boat!

Comment

I don't think our power was affected so far as I can remember. I live right on the edge of a very large forest and took a walk to see the damage, making sure to stay on the very edge just in case. There were trees that were leaning at crazy angles and others that had been felled but overall not as severe as I was expecting from TV reports. Perhaps we were shielded from the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post

Gordon Kaye, of 'Allo 'Allo fame, was badly injured and some think that may have contributed to his early death some years later...
                  I had thought that was a storm a few year later, I remember Allo Allo was taken off air for a few weeks while he recovered,
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I can remember the 1987 storm so well, and going to school on the Friday morning, nearly blown off my feet as I was walking to school. When I got there, there weren't many kids in class, even though they had lived closer to the school than I did.

Gorden Kaye was not injured in the 1987 storm but the milder one that happened in January 1990 - I believe that people don't remember that one as much as the one in 1987.
                    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Oh, and for Health and Safety reasons, I should have gone out on that morning wearing a hard hat on because of the tiles falling off the roof. They replaced by slates a few years later, thank goodness.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember the words 'No School!' whirring round my head, for some reason.

Comment

Michael Fish got it wrong

Comment

I wouldn't have been surprised if Fish had got the sack from the Met Office for his misleading forecast.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X