Great Sporting Moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Sporting Moment

Watching Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson tear into England during the one sided '74/5 Ashes is one of my most enduring sporting moments growing up. It was in fact my first ever time watching live cricket when my Dad took me to watch the SCG test of the series. This was a couple of years after Lillee's crippling back injury..but he was still quick. Thommo as we know was then the world's swiftest and most ferocious bowler. There is footage of the Brisbane Test on YT for those who want to be taken back to that time. One of Australia's greatest cricket triumphs against the Old Enemy.

Thommo in full flight!!

Re: Great Sporting Moment

The first one I can recall was the World Cup Final in 1970.
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

World Cup '70 was also my first memory of that competition. My two abiding memories are the England vs Brazil game and that incredible save by Gordon Banks, and the QF loss to West Germany. I cried my eyes out afterward and even now I remember my mum saying "Never mind, there's always next time."

Comment

Dennis Taylor winning the World Championship Snooker in 1985 against Steve (boring) Davis.
        One ball to decide the championship.

Comment

Alex Higgins winning in 1982 and bawling his eyes out, and his wife and baby coming to congratulate him.

1990...England losing to Germany on penalties in World Cup SF. Gazza getting booked and that iconic image of his tears realising he wouldn't be able to play in the final...that image was plastered on T-shirts within days.

Comment

Nigel Mansell generated a few memorable moments, both good & bad.

I can remember by brother going crazy watching the 1987 British GP, where Nigel Mansell won after having to make up time after pit stop with only a lap or 2 to go.

His tyre exploding in the 1986 Australian GP when he only had to finish 4th to be champion was repeated so many times, including the titles of The Think It's All Over
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              Nigel Mansell generated a few memorable moments, both good & bad.

I can remember by brother going crazy watching the 1987 British GP, where Nigel Mansell won after having to make up time after pit stop with only a lap or 2 to go.

His tyre exploding in the 1986 Australian GP when he only had to finish 4th to be champion was repeated so many times, including the titles of The Think It's All Over
              Gosh that reminds me of the 1992 British Grand Prix I went to see at Silverstone. I was supporting Senna, but Nigel Mansell won the race. The crowd went mad. Then some of the crowd got on to the track as there was a gap in tge barriers. I was young and keen, so I too ran on to the track. I waved at two unknown drivers who drove past me called Jonny Herbert and Michael Schumacher.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                Dennis Taylor winning the World Championship Snooker in 1985 against Steve (boring) Davis.
                One ball to decide the championship.
                You mean Steve (Interesting) Davis - I hope to get a copy of his "Interesting" autobiography as a Christmas present this year!

Taylor can be seen waving his finger in an "I told you so" way, and as it was on BBC 2, it was said that he was waving his finger at Brian Barwick who was head of ITV Sport at the time who said that Taylor would never win the championship, and of course he proved him wrong. It was the highest audience for a BBC 2 programme - 18 million watched it so late, I believe? So many tired people the day after...
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonraker View Post
                  Gosh that reminds me of the 1992 British Grand Prix I went to see at Silverstone. I was supporting Senna, but Nigel Mansell won the race. The crowd went mad. Then some of the crowd got on to the track as there was a gap in tge barriers. I was young and keen, so I too ran on to the track. I waved at two unknown drivers who drove past me called Jonny Herbert and Michael Schumacher.
                  I remember back in 1992 that I used to refer to anyone speeding on the roads as a "Nigel Mansell", as he was so iconic back then (and still is come to that) as a racing driver.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    I remember back in 1992 that I used to refer to anyone speeding on the roads as a "Nigel Mansell", as he was so iconic back then (and still is come to that) as a racing driver.
                    A call a bus driver often on a route I use Lewis Hamilton because he goes too fast & weaves around a lot.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Great Sporting Moment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      Oddly enough ... he's a relative apparently , we obviously share the same surname so when he was in his prime ( which lasted a fair while ) we could never use our real name when ordering a taxi !!

Sadly never met him even though we are distantly related ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                        World Cup '70 was also my first memory of that competition. My two abiding memories are the England vs Brazil game and that incredible save by Gordon Banks, and the QF loss to West Germany. I cried my eyes out afterward and even now I remember my mum saying "Never mind, there's always next time."
                        My memories are more sketchy than that - I remember Brazil winning and that Jairzinho (billed as "Jair" after one goal) scored in every round
                        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          Oddly enough ... he's a relative apparently , we obviously share the same surname so when he was in his prime ( which lasted a fair while ) we could never use our real name when ordering a taxi !!

Sadly never met him even though we are distantly related ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                          A great claim to fame - I hope you have never been speeding on the road...
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Oh, and I did get that Steve Davis autobiography as Christmas present after all...
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Though it has - as an englishman to be the 19666 World Cup Win, whicch was sadly 11 years before my time, the other 2 greatest moments must go (in order) to:

1) My beloved Barnsley FC - doing a "Wimbledon" but of more epodemic proportions an landing the Premiership/Premier Leauge for 1997-98

2) The Italian 1990 World Cup along with Euro 96 (on home soil) where that was the time I was truly mesmoized by Football and hown England swept away every team of any standing before us (and again was cruley denied a place in a major Final - which if it was'nt for the Penalties ia m 1000% we'd have won that final (just like in 1990 with "that scene" of Gazza crying his eyes out! Again Gazza is another famous star who had his demons, but what a legend the guy is - he is just "so England through and through" and guy who'd do anything for anyone and the best English Footballer to walk these shores and any he has walked! On a sub-note I have ambitions of meeting him later in the Summer "at a meet and greet type event" and if I remember/have the guts I shall tell exactly what esteem and more i hold him in!! What a legend and an icon indeed!!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                              X