1977, queens jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1977, queens jubilee

A friend of my Mum had her Son in 1977, and the first 25 baby's born in that hospital at the time of the Silver Jubilee were presented with a coin, and a personal letter to them.
    The Mum's who had the first baby boy, and the first baby girl, were also presented with a huge bouquet of flowers.

Comment

I have a feeling we had a school party and made paper crowns to wear. It sort of jogs a memory. I know for a fact at primary school our headmaster had us all lined up and pass him one by one to be given a little brown paper envelope which contained the 1977 jubilee crown. Many of the kids there spent the crowns on sweets on the way home. Despite there being many kids in our street we did not have a street party. Many of my mates were invited to other street party's or more private affairs. My nan put on a family party which all the family and a few close friends went to. Two memories stand out for 1977.One being the punks walking around which as a kid I found the way they dressed and looked fascinating, and the second thing was everything almost became red,white, and blue for a few months solid.

Comment

I remember my mom buying me and my older bro some sort of silver coin for the jubilee could u get such stuff.

I guess one could.
        Did anyone get a silver coin.
        Last edited by darren; 27-05-2015, 17:52.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

they were crown coins as I recall, not sure but special mint

Comment

FOUND THIS ONLINE TONS OF IMAGES OF THESE COINS ONLINE.

IVE SEEN OTHERS THERE SEEMS TO BE MANY DIFFERENT DESIGNS.

MUST SAY ITS BEAUTIFUL NEVER SEEN IT TILL NOW.

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
            they were crown coins as I recall, not sure but special mint

Comment

I wasn't born until the next year, but my older brother got a silver painted bus with Jubilee adverts on the sides which was played by us for years afterwards.

It might be somewhere at my parents house.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I have never seen that coin before, the royal mint made the authentic ones, others, I believe, were fake, to make money from.

Comment

Crown coin, front and back - the only official one made
                  Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic looking mate.
                    Thats the thing others try to cash in on it making fakes.

I just wonder did they have a limited run like say 10 thousand.

Originally posted by elbmek View Post
                    crown coin,

t and back - the only official one made

Comment

We got the usual silver coin plus a certificate with our name on to say we had taken part in the celebrations. There was a big parade with a beauty queen plus attendants on a flatbed lorry bedecked with flowers, and jazz bands were in front and behind it. My dad was a lorry driver and his company donated the lorry for the day. He drove it and I got to sit beside him. The whole parade moved about a mile or so from right by our house to a local sports field. I remember the Territorials being there and I got to hold an SLR, Sterling and a dummy hand grenade.

And does anyone remember 'Plant a tree for the Jubilee?' I think everyone in the country was encouraged to plant a tree. I seem to remember our council gave people a choice of several types of tree and you paid a small fee and got your tree to plant in your garden--ours was a flowering cherry.

Comment

Huge party at my school, it was a fantastic day.

I still have my jubilee coin somewhere.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Does it count as reliving my childhood if I've never grown up?

Comment

You have had from then till now.

Just pray it aint been thrown out.

What a lovely thing to have.

You came to the uk from oz to join in the celebrations.

Originally posted by natator View Post
                          huge party at my school, it was a fantastic day.

I still have my jubilee coin somewhere.

Comment

got my coin somewhere. we had a small street party, i should really say back street party as the adults thought it would be a safer place to have it once they blocked it off with a few cars.

Comment

I think I still have my coin and certificate knocking around somewhere. The certificate was signed by the oldest person in the area--don't know if that was a general thing or just in our area.

As well as the parade I mentioned in a previous post, there was also a party for our estate held in the local Working Men's Club, but I think it was on a different day to the parade. There was bunting hanging between lamp-posts and on houses. I recall the weather being very warm. Around the same time, Prince Charles was due to attend a service or ceremony at St. Luke's in Cannock. His car was to travel down the main Rugeley Road on its way there. My gran and her friend crossed No. 5 pit to get to the road and stood there for ages so they could wave to him, and they did get a wave back.

Comment

It wouldn't have impacted on me so much if it weren't for this...

Attached Files
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X