Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

There are many inventions/innovations during the DYR era that we take for granted today. There are also those that changed the lives of many for ever. Such as this little beauty.
    Multi Channel Cochlear Implant: Often referred to as the bionic ear, the implant which replaces the work of the damaged inner ear, was invented by Australian Professor Graeme Clark in 1978.

The most amazing world wide innovation was the Personal Computer in 1970.
    The microchip also lead to computers being made that were small enough to get into the average sized room in a house. By 1970, one microchip could contain 1000 transistors on it. In 1970, a home personal computer would have cost nearly £70,000 in today’s money.

In 1975, Apple Computers was founded by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniac. Apple created the “home/personal computer” that could be used by anybody. The computer – Apple II – was launched in 1977 and was an immediate success. The personal computer was sealed in a neat plastic case, it had a keyboard, video unit and used removable floppy discs. Above all, it only cost £2400 in today’s money.

The Microsoft team in 1978.

Last edited by Donald the Great; 13-09-2018, 07:38.

Re: Inventions and Innovations of the '70s '80s '90s.

Bill Gates used to work for Apple

We have the same birthday (but not the same year)
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Can you think of any any further technological innovations

Comment

CPAP Masks: These devices, a common treatment for sleep apnoea were invented by Dr. Colin Sullivan in 1980. By 2014 more than a million people world-wide were using in-home CPAP systems.

Comment

Technegas: Is a radioactively labelled inhalant used in nuclear medicine to detect life threatening pulmonary embolisms. It was invented by Dr. Richard Fawdrey and Dr. Bill Burch in 1985.

Comment

Sir Godfrey Hounsfield created the first commercially viable CT scanner in 1972, which has greatly aided in the diagnosis and treatment of many medical conditions.

Comment

I remember enjoying watching Tomorrow's World for any new inventions that might actually make it into production.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Innovations in cancer treatment are incredible, if you have been unfortunate enough to require the services of a cancer unit then you probably know what i mean, i underwent radio/chemo therapy last year for oral cancer and cancer of the lymph nodes. I dont fully understand the mechanics of these machines but they truly are awesome and advances in the treatment of cancer have come such a long way in the past 30 years. We should all consider donating to cancer research,you never know when you may need the help of these pioneering people

Soapbox for hire...cheapest rates!
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
                  Innovations in cancer treatment are incredible, if you have been unfortunate enough to require the services of a cancer unit then you probably know what i mean, i underwent radio/chemo therapy last year for oral cancer and cancer of the lymph nodes. I dont fully understand the mechanics of these machines but they truly are awesome and advances in the treatment of cancer have come such a long way in the past 30 years. We should all consider donating to cancer research,you never know when you may need the help of these pioneering people

Spot on. As has always been the case, early diagnosis still gives best prognosis and treatment options, but those options are increasing, and treatment is now so much better than a few decades ago.

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post

I hope your treatment has been fully successful tex. Yes amazing advancements in the battle against this incidious disease. Pleased and proud to say that my countrymen have come up with some world leading R&D in recent years.

Comment

Comment

How good is this news from the Australian Cancer Research Foundation. (ACRF).

In a world first, Australian scientists have discovered a new type of anti-cancer drug that can put cancer cells into a permanent sleep, without the harmful side-effects caused by conventional cancer therapies.

Published on August 3 in the journal Nature, the research reveals the first class of anti-cancer drugs that work by putting the cancer cell to sleep – arresting tumour growth and spread without damaging the cells’ DNA.

The new class of drugs could provide an exciting alternative for people with cancer, and has already shown great promise in halting cancer progression in models of blood and liver cancers, as well as in delaying cancer relapse.

Comment

Australian immunologist Ian Frazer and virologist Jian Zhou developed and patented the basic technology behind the HPV vaccines Gardasil and Cervarix against cervical cancer at the University of Queensland in 2005. The first vaccines ever designed to prevent a cancer.

Comment

Cancer Scientists at Harry Perkins Institute of Medical Research in Western Australia, the Children’s Medical Research Institute in Sydney and the Max Plank Institute for Biology of Ageing in Cologne, Germany, have developed a way to wrap artificial proteins around the ends of chromosomes to effectively block the uncontrolled growth that occurs with most cancers.
                            Associate Professor Oliver Rackham’s team at the Perkins Institute has engineered proteins that effectively clamp tightly around the end of the single stranded DNA in the chromosome.
                            Last edited by Donald the Great; 16-09-2018, 03:16.

Comment

Guys as this is such an important subject shall we create a separate thread for it?

Comment

Working...
                              X