Back In Time For School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back In Time For School

I hope I have selected the right catergory for this thread - I was unsure if it should be in TV, but I thought "School Days" was a better fit

If Heather, HG, Big Daddy think I have made an error in this call and it needs moving to TV - I am sorry for any bad judgement

Back though to the thread - I only found this llittle Gem of a programme through being ored reading the rubbish on TV in the TV Pages of the newspaper yesterday!!

I have watched the 1990ss version so far (and am watching the 80s as I type), though I don't know if I'll watch every decades programme/version - but the 90s was spot on I found and full of real accuracy - Ofstead etc and trying to be even more innevative than the 80s wanted us to be!! The Computers and Internet is a "reveation inb a spaceship" as all this is not "that long a-go" to me, though it is really, useing Expedia on CD-Rom at College etc and even useing Dial-Up as late as 2002 by re-collection (in my final "full fling College Days" and "day's of szooming from place to place, morning, noon and night (if need be) to talk on the 'net - when the 'net was brilliantly brilliant in it's extreme (1997--2004) though I appreciate that the Noughties just are out of DYRs remitt, but even 1997 to 1999/200 seems so fresh and especially like Man U winning the trebble (who'd imagine watchingt that on the 'Net!!?) etc then or even clips!! Though this is related to another Footy related topic-thread I'm hoping to make in due course!

Going further back though to this Gem of a Show - I am unsure if it's "Fly On The wall" or "Doc/Moc-umenatary" (take your pick I guess being the best way to describe it as obviously it is acted too, but going on the 90s and 80s it's obvious they delved into Grange Hill and Maggie Thatcher's Iron Rule with even doing to the Teachers Clothing and the Male Teachers wearing light Autum type Shirts (nd pastaly Autum waved ties), think Mr Robson Grange Hill 90s and The Bill/Bread etc in the 80s, then for the 80s they clearly illustrated (not as I want to give much away) "that you was spoken to when you was spoken to", which is typical Bronco Bronson from GH - with Danny - which I think a lot of us felt in that way "kids should be seen and not heard" (which to an extent I agree with, though Grange Hill eggagerated it, but it is to see the "stand-off between Bronco and Danny and Ant Jones" as I felt this/scaled these waves to a much, much lesser degree with Teachers .... but I still felt this/knew of these experiences and through friends, so in many way's or/and certain ways I'can emphesise with these 2 era's at least

Even the Cans of Pop etc and things added into the show show realism. Personaly I'd recommend it as great watch, but I am not taking (of yet!!) to the 80s edition and given that I spent more time at school then than the 90s (but more Primary Days than Secondary) I thought it'd be equaly liked by me .... though not yet, though I regonise some elements and see the throw-backs but not totally!!

80sChav

Re: Back In Time For School

The Back in Time franchise has done well over the last few years, and the producers seem to be milking it (almost a pun there) each year seeing what else they can do with it.

I briefly saw the 1990s episode of the School series and the kids look so much like the ones that was there at the school that I went to. I thought that early episodes would be more like St Trinian's parodies and the like, as you do when schools are represented in fictitious (or even factitious) series. According to Wikipedia it started in 2015...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_Time_for...

I don't watch much of it, but I assume that the 1970s and 1980s versions of the series are worth looking at. I have a feeling that we might have a Back in Time for Breakfast or something - cue the 1980s version featuring the family watching Breakfast Time (not TV-am as it was ITV and the company doesn't exist anymore), while pouring the Kellogg's Corn Flakes into bowls and spreading Hartley's Jam (not Robertson's Jam for obvious reasons of decency) onto burnt toast.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I watched the series from the 1960's through to the 1980's.Did not recognise any of it and felt at times that things were cherry picked due to the subjects weirdness rather then reality.. I assume it was based on Birmingham or other city schools rather then the west country towns. If you want close to real school life as you got in the late 70's then watch season 1 of Grange hill.

Comment

Being a BBC programme, I would have thought that it would be a London school by default, although it could have been one in the Midlands or the North. A Comprehensive School series would have been a lot easier to do because; A) The kids are a lot older; and B) They probably was a lot less box ticking and red tape than getting those who are younger to participate, and no "wrong lens in camera" / "legs in playground" just like in news reports.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X