This time with alan partridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This time with alan partridge

Let me start by saying i am a massive partridge fan, probably one of the great comedy characters but coogans new series "this time" is just NOT FUNNY. There i said it and it hurts me to do so but this donkey has run it's course. My son (he's 28) maintains that it's hillarious and i'm just a grumpy old man,but the writing is dire and coogans portrayal of the character has suffered during the interim period. Anyone agree? or maybe disagree?
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Re: This time with alan partridge

Alan Partridge is such a fascinating character as he is a parody of so many TV presenters - Knowing Me, Knowing You was what he will always be famous for, and I suppose that it was right that he only did a series of that - a second series would not be as good. Partridge reminds me of those former TV presenters of the 1980s who go into obscurity and ending up reading the regional news a la Gordon Burns or Fred Dinenage, or does a weekday programme on a BBC local radio station, giving the illusion to those who don't live in that area that the person has disappeared off the face of the earth.

He gives the illusion of being a "where are they now?" presenter with the Radio Norwich thing, and also This Time where we are assumed that he hasn't appeared on TV for years and makes a surprise appearance in this One Show parody. Partridge is definitely a satire on former C-list celebrities who have fallen from grace and slid down the ladder of fame - Paul Hendy satirises this quite well in his Diary of a C-list celebrity book that he wrote.

Partridge was Coogan's most successful character and I can understand why he stuck with that one instead of Paul and Pauline Calf for example. However, it has been nearly 25 years since Knowing Me, Knowing You transferred to television. Pity that he didn't do a "Mrs Merton" and have genuine guests on there - I wonder how that would have worked out?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I've been enjoying This Time, maybe it's not Alan Partridge at his best but still funny enough with the expected gaffes & ego trips you might expect from Alan.

Knowing Me, Knowing You did rely on the guests being as obnoxious as the host, so I don't think real guests would work too well.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was thinking whether Coogan has ever used Partridge in a TV advert - I cannot remember one myself, but I do know that he did Paul and Pauline Calf in one in the late 1990s which was set in a café, probably for McVities' Go Ahead! Saw it on YT not long ago.

One of the reasons that Partridge was so successful was because I believe that Pauline Calf was too similar to Lily Savage in the way that they both look, even though Paul O'Grady had hung up Savage's clothes a few years back.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Second to Partridge i also loved coogans Saxondale which i think ran for two series in the early noughties, here was a man stuck in the 70s who has anger issues and views everybody around him (except his girlfriend brilliantly played by Ruth jones) with contempt, he is a former roadie who hankers for the golden years of rock but the reality is he earns a living as a pest controller....brilliant stuff
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
          X