Women's Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Football

We have just had the women's world cup which reached its finale last weekend - the USA winning, although England did better than I expected. I was wondering whether 2019 would be the 1966 of women's football if you know what I mean. The irony of so-called American Football over there, where football as we know it, is known as soccer - a word that I would discourage using on this side of the pond.

It is great to have such a male dominated sport have female teams, and the irony was some of the players looked rather like David Beckham from a hairstyle perspective 20 years ago. A lot of British league clubs have female teams alongside their male counterparts. To tell you the truth, I believe that there is very little difference between men's football and their female counterparts apart from the gender of the players for obvious reasons. It's a pity that female stars of the game don't seem to be household names as the men do - they are good at the sport, and deserve more prominence. I can't think of any of the players' names as I write this to be honest.

I have always been fascinated by the domination of the men's team in comparison to women's - when one views a match on the television, one sees the nature of the crowd, and it isn't just stereotypical Carling Black Label-drinking men sitting in the terraces, wearing the relevant coloured team shirt and chanting away with the rest of the crowd. One tends to spot a female fan watching the action - it is interesting, and I suppose that in addition to seeing the players play and score goals, in men's games there is the added bonus of the players being of the opposite sex - men in football strips in their 20s probably add to the excitement from what a woman sees! Almost something that male fans see for themselves in women's football!

More to the point, are there any female football managers? I don't think that there have been any of the men's clubs as most managers (I hate the word "coach" in that respect) are former players either at the same club or at others across the league. I believe there must be one or two.

It has been great to watch, and a change to the stereotypical female stuff that we see now and again - I am not sure whether it is every four years or so, but I don't remember this being on four years ago unless Sky Sports had it incognito, but it might be back on the BBC in four years' time, perhaps?
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Re: Women's Football

I've enjoyed the recent Woman's World Cup, my wife observed that the players don't play act injured as much as the men do.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I've enjoyed the recent Woman's World Cup, my wife observed that the players don't play act injured as much as the men do.
      That’s true .. no diving either which was a refreshing change ... they were getting a little carried away suggesting the top teams could survive in the Premier League when in reality even the winners would struggle against Rochdale imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have to say that I am a bit surprised to see this thread moved to the Members Lounge - I obviously started it in the Sports forum hence the obvious mention of football (a logical thing to do considering). Could it be something to do with the fact that women's football is a recent thing and not something from the past decades?

Having said that, I am not criticising the move, I just a bit surprised, that's all.
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Next post.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

It is nice to see that something women can participate in unironically instead of the token things that people think women do such as modelling or cleaning.

Just proves that we are a few steps forward to complete equality in society.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              I have to say that I am a bit surprised to see this thread moved to the Members Lounge - I obviously started it in the Sports forum hence the obvious mention of football (a logical thing to do considering). Could it be something to do with the fact that women's football is a recent thing and not something from the past decades?

Having said that, I am not criticising the move, I just a bit surprised, that's all.
              Exactly this ☺
              Heather

Comment

Women's football used to be massive with packed stadiums. I saw a great documentary about the history of women's football in this country and it's a revelation most of us don't know much about. Why it was killed off is muddy and uncertain, obviously the wars played a part, and some say political as the teams were often involved in workers rights movements, but ultimately you have to say it was sexism. It's great to see that this great tradition is coming back, and that's all down to passion of the players.

Comment

Women even play Rugby and Boxing but for some reason society often assumes that they are unable to participate in sports that are prominently male for one reason or another, probably because it is either regarded as being too masculine or the implausibility of women taking part for reasons such as, well, the personal difficulties that women have, shall we say? As we are pushing the boat out for equality, it makes one wonder why those sort of things cannot be already seen as much as their male counterparts?
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Sorry, cannot stand women's football. Rather watch ___ dry.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      It is nice to see that something women can participate in unironically instead of the token things that people think women do such as modelling or cleaning.

Just proves that we are a few steps forward to complete equality in society.
                      Well, as a female, I don't consider watching a lot of women kicking a ball around a step forward! And there will never be equality, and I don't think there should be. Fairness, yes; but fairness and equality are not the same.

Comment

I take it that you're not a fan of football, Clare - male or female?
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Clare View Post
                          Well, as a female, I don't consider watching a lot of women kicking a ball around a step forward! And there will never be equality, and I don't think there should be. Fairness, yes; but fairness and equality are not the same.
                          Did you just say you don't believe in equality for women?

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
                            Women's football used to be massive with packed stadiums. I saw a great documentary about the history of women's football in this country and it's a revelation most of us don't know much about. Why it was killed off is muddy and uncertain, obviously the wars played a part, and some say political as the teams were often involved in workers rights movements, but ultimately you have to say it was sexism. It's great to see that this great tradition is coming back, and that's all down to passion of the players.
                            Are you feeling ok ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yes thanks, why?

Comment

Working...
                              X