Holidays - Where did you go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Holidays - Where did you go?

I remember we went to Hastings, there was a caravan site there, it was really nice.

The only thing I didn't like was for a few days it rained, so when going to the toilet and shower blocks, the mud was so slippery there, and of course I slipped once when I was coming back from the shower, so back again I had to go.

Comment

My auntie had a caravan in Harlech, North Wales so we went there every year....... and it always rained, but had a lovely deserted beach with sand dunes so I loved it. Many happy memories there

Comment

Was always excited waiting for summer holidays at a kid on the east coast. Went to Lowestoft - Loved eating fish and chips overlooking the sea, Mablethorpe (both had great beaches) Hunstanton and Skegness. Always seemed to buy some soveniers from the shops, loved the horse carousel (secretly want to go on one again). Anyone know of any nice beaches on the east coast?

Comment

Up to the age of 10 I lived on the edge of a seaside town (Weymouth) so holidays tended to be spent with my grandparents in Bristol. A bit strange as it felt like growing up in the 1930s at times although this was broken when my cousins from the US visited at the same time so I got to read the really cool comics they brought with them (Tomb of Dracula) and swapping my copies of Victor and Hotspur (later Battle, Warlord and Bullet). In 1976 we relocated to Bristol so for a few years after summer holidays were spent being sent back to Weymouth to stay with an aunt who ran a B&B and catching up with my friends. Mainly it was spent on the beach or in the arcades (playing the early video games and electro-mechanicals of the time).

From the late 70s I got sent to spend summers with my family in the US every couple of years which was amazing. It was great to experience two cultures...I grew up drinking Co-op Limeade in the UK and Root beer in the US, eating Curlywurlies, custard creams, Paydays and Twinkies, playing Cricket one week and Baseball the next. I got to cycle to the beach or hang out at the lake, great times.

Comment

Love Weymouth,it's a great place and always found the people friendly there.It is one of those places we would go on a daytrip to during the summer holidays or if we were really lucky have a stay in a caravan for the weekend.Another fav place to go for daytrip or that very rare weekend was Barry Island.Can always remember the old train yard there full of rusted out steam trains.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
              Love Weymouth,it's a great place and always found the people friendly there.It is one of those places we would go on a daytrip to during the summer holidays or if we were really lucky have a stay in a caravan for the weekend.Another fav place to go for daytrip or that very rare weekend was Barry Island.Can always remember the old train yard there full of rusted out steam trains.
              Quite a few were rescued and restored from Barry

Comment

i remember camping in cornwall and maybe in devon. sometimes we pushed the boat out and stayed in a caravan!!
                those were the days!!!!

Comment

north wales i just love that place now go most weekends in summer that is to cold at mo
                  THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

My great auntie had an ex-railwaymans' overnight lodging house in Bournemouth. We would go there for holidays every summer and would visit sometimes on the Somerset and Dorset railway at weekends. It had three storeys and a huge garden beside the railway embankment. It was sheer heaven for a kid. They pulled it down in 1974 to build a block of flats.
                    "Even nostalgia is not what it used to be"

Comment

I used to go abroad to Florida for 3 weeks to a month nearly every year around Easter. How I managed to get permission to go during term time at primary school/secondary school I don't know (it wouldn't be allowed these days). Usually during the Summer there would be a weekend break in Blackpool. During one break there in the late 70's I bumped into my best friend on the promenade who was there with his parents. I knew he was going somewhere on holiday but I never realised we were going to the same town! We went together to see the Doctor Who exhibition on the Golden Mile which was cool.

Comment

Been to Blackpool a few times for the illuminations it was nice in the late 70s,would not want to go now too many hen and stag weekends

Comment

mainly too bangor portrush and newcastle normally just for the day, sit at the beach do sandcastles go to the amusements, go on bouncy castles.
                          my olds are not really holiday people theyve never been out of n.i.

ive been to fort william for a mountain climbing weekend.

loved it about 20 yrs back.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I saw Newcastle NI on Len Goodmans holiday of a lifetime its where Gloria Hunniford used to go.Looks really nice Darren

Comment

We only had one famil holiday abroad - Spain, 1968
                              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by themilkman View Post
                                I've also been to America disneyland etc in the 70's
                                Sadly, we didn't travel much when I was a kid but living in a major touristopolis we mostly visited Disneyland and the other sights. I still live just a few miles from Disneyland.

Comment

Working...
                                X