Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knightmare

Greeting watchers,

I come to this place and ask if anyone within this realm has fond memories of this fine TV programme that was broadcast from 1987 to 1994. It was one of my favourite programmes at the time, and would be in great awe if people can shar what they liked about it.

Until next time, when the fire burns and the Knightmare returns....

Re: Knightmare

i used to love this as a kid, and so often would wish i was the one either being the dungeoneer or guiding the dungeoneer.

i still watch it on the challenge channel on sky every now and then

Comment

Dee Eye Ess Emm Eye Ess Ess :-)

Comment

i liked this too, liked Pickle, the elf/goblin thing.
        "Raggy dolls, Raggy Dolls, dolls like you and me" "Raggy Dolls, Raggy Dolls, made imperfectly"

Comment

I watched it at my Nans house each week, I liked it, though it seemed to disturb me slightly!
          Heather

Comment

another fantastic show.
            i can see why it scared u heather.
            it does have a scary type theme to it.
            well its called knightmare.
            here is a clip of a great show.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwK5H8Ui-E

the puzzles in this show where very ingenious and well thought out.

fantastic music to it as well.
            so many shows around that time had wonderful theme music.

if i remember right is was always the last show on citv on a friday at around half 4.
            boy im in a real nostalgic mood today.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Knightmare was one of my favourite programmes, there was nothing else quite like it at the time.

Great seeing a clip of it again, thanks darren.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
                Knightmare was one of my favourite programmes, there was nothing else quite like it at the time.

Great seeing a clip of it again, thanks darren.
                no probs sandie.

it just a fantastic theme tune and the show was kind of scary.
                id think a lot more failed to get to the end than actually did.

Comment

Three phrases from this show that stick in my head:
                  Ffffff, nasssty!
                  Where am I?
                  Answer me and answer true, or I feed on you!

Comment

Knightmare was a great show. I used to wonder how they did it in a logistical fashion, I knew they were using blue screens, but how was it done so that the person walking about the dungeons actually felt he was walking around a dungeon. Did they have a maze in a warehouse somewhere that was set out similar to the game, or was it a case of they had a set amount of rooms and when the user walked out of one a member of staff guided them to the next room. I dunno, not knowing this stuff sort of vexes me even today as an adult.

On a related note, the guy that played Treyguard does his fair share of work in videogame land. I dunno how many of you play games, but if you played a game called Fable on the original xbox you had the guy telling you tips. Over and over. To the point where it got annoying and then funny. So much so that even now the group of people I play with say "Warning! Your health is low... Watch that." in a Treyguard accent whenever any of us has low health.

Comment

locations knightmare was set in.
                      anglia television norwich,norfolk.
                      bodiam castle, bodiam, east sussex.
                      caerphilly castle,caerphilly, wales.
                      castel cooch tongwynlais, glamorgan wales.

castle acre priory swaffham,norfolk.

hedingham castle essex.

leeds castle kent.
                      there where eight series of knightmare.
                      started in 87 finished in 94.
                      1 hundred and 12 episodes in total.
                      an average of 14 per series.

hugo wyatt who played treygard was in every episode.
                      the quest was for either the cup,shield,sword or crown.
                      Last edited by darren; 14-02-2011, 17:11.

Comment

I'm currently working my way through this show episode by episodes (all 112 are up on Youtube!). It really is an amazingly well constructed show and quite addictive watching. The puzzles aren't partronising for kids either. Some of questions in there during the riddle rounds are actually quite challenging.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                        Knightmare was a great show. I used to wonder how they did it in a logistical fashion, I knew they were using blue screens, but how was it done so that the person walking about the dungeons actually felt he was walking around a dungeon. Did they have a maze in a warehouse somewhere that was set out similar to the game, or was it a case of they had a set amount of rooms and when the user walked out of one a member of staff guided them to the next room. I dunno, not knowing this stuff sort of vexes me even today as an adult.
                        I've tried reading any info I can get on this show and as far as I can tell it was filmed in a single* completely featureless blue room at Anglia Studio.The dungeoneer would be guided into position by a stagehand and filming would begin. Once the dungeoneer "left" the room the stagehand would reset them in a different position and the next room would be filmed. Basically it was just one blue room used over and over as far as I can tell. There was nothing in the room except for interactive objects (like tables, chairs etc). Some of these objects would be bluescreen themselves and then overlayed with graphics (eg stairs, wells down to the next level, some ledges etc)

* = there was a second bluescreen room next to the "dungeon", but that was for overlays eg Giants and other characters. I don't think the dungeoneer ever went near it.

Comment

Originally posted by andria View Post
                          i liked this too, liked Pickle, the elf/goblin thing.
                          David Learner played Pickle.

I worked with him for a while a few years ago at a marketing company - you couldn't wish to meet a nicer chap.

He was also inside the Marvin suit in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Comment

Knightmare was all kinds of ace. It's one of those shows where I have a fair idea of how they made it, but I don't really want this confirmed as it'd spoil some of the magic of it for me.

Interestingly, Spoony from The Spoony Experiment did a really nice retrospective of this from an American point of view, it's a really good watch.
                            sigpic

Comment

great bit of info there cheers mate.

i also think treguard was layed by someone else.
                              dont think the fella who played him was the only presenter.

what did david think of knightmare did he think it would be so successful.

Originally posted by catflap View Post
                              David Learner played Pickle.

I worked with him for a while a few years ago at a marketing company - you couldn't wish to meet a nicer chap.

He was also inside the Marvin suit in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Comment

Working...
                              X