Oor Wullie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oor Wullie

Thing about those annuals is that they are not as robust as the other hard back comic annuals so there are probably fewer around in good condition. I remember the pages often fell out of my older ones and they all got quite dog-eared in the end.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

The spines always seemed to fall apart quite easily.

Comment

The Sunday Post is also circulated south of the border and I am familiar with him from this. I also have an 'Oor Wullie' annual. I think he's brilliant.
        The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Found my dad's stash of these when i was there just before xmas. He has alternating Oor Wullies and The Broons going back to 1972 still.

Comment

great stuff have not thought of it in a very long time.

i can remember having a few annuals myself.

Originally posted by remember View Post
            Oor Wullie is a comic strip, set in Scotland, in the D. C. Thomson & Co. Ltd newspaper The Sunday Post. It features a boy named William ('Wullie' - Oor Wullie is Our Willie in Scots) whose trademarks are spiky hair, dungarees and sitting on an upturned bucket - indeed, the strip has started and ended with a single frame featuring Wullie on his bucket since early 1937. The earliest strips always ended with Wullie complaining 'I nivver get ony fun roond here!' and featured very little dialogue, with the artistic style settling down by 1940 and changing little since. A frequent tag-line reads "Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!". I personally still get the annual every year for Christmas (either Broons or Oor Wullie) and still love every page!I also get the Oor Wullie annual every year, even when I lived in Australia for 15 years and New zealand for 8 years. My mum would post them to me no matter where I was living.

More...
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Flash Gordon View Post
              I remember the Naked Video sketch of the Broons - been trying to remember who played who since you mentioned it!. A good show. Remember the guy trying to look cool after he's just missed the bus?

But I've got to ask since I've always wondered, what on earth does "help ma boab" mean??

Does anyone know?

I once read that the literal translation of this - my favourite exclamation - is "By my Uncle Robert!". Boab being a variation of Bob, short for Robert, I can quite believe it. I think it may have been in the Scots glossary at the back of an old copy of Wee Macgreegor that I read years ago.

I adore the Broons and Oor Wullie, and thanks to eBay am the proud owner of every single annual ever produced, with the exception of the 1946 Oor Wullie one. Not all are originals, many are cheaper facsimile copies, but a lot are genuine. it's true - the really old genuine ones are worth thousands ( not that I own any of those!) They're my pride and joy, especially the old ones illustrated by Dudley D Watkins. I still get the annuals every year, and have treated myself to quite a few memorabilia items from the DC Thomson website -like a set of Broons egg cups and a tea towel, as well as a couple of Oor Wullie tee shirts. how sad am I?

Comment

Test reply
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                X