Japanese Water Flowers made of paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese Water Flowers made of paper

Does anyone remember having these as a child? My sister and I were kids in the 70s, and were enchanted by them.

The sachet was full of tightly rolled colourful bits of paper, which you then dropped into a bowl of water. They then slowly unfurled to make a beautiful floating garden. I have already posted on Yahoo Answers with no luck, and my Mum, my sister and I have been going barmy tonight trying to remember the name, or maybe even find some to buy online.

Re: Japanese Water Flowers made of paper

Do you mean like these??

Thse are been sold on Ebay USA and a slightly older than what you are looking for, but is that the basic idea?
    Last edited by Heather74; 25-11-2008, 12:19.
    Heather

Comment

That does not look liken the ones I remember Heather.
      I used to get these as a child. They sold them in Habitat

Comment

Were they loose then sixty /Redheaduk ?( rather than on "stems")
        Last edited by Heather74; 25-11-2008, 15:59.
        Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
          Were they loose then Sixty/Redheaduk?( rather than on "stems")
          Yes they were loose - they're a similar idea to the ones in the pic I guess, but not the same. They came in a sachet and there were lots of them.
          Last edited by Heather74; 25-11-2008, 15:59.

Comment

They were little coils, like those tiny streamers you get in Party poppers

Comment

Originally posted by redhead3uk View Post
              Does anyone remember having these as a child? My sister and I were kids in the 70s, and were enchanted by them.

The sachet was full of tightly rolled colourful bits of paper, which you then dropped into a bowl of water. They then slowly unfurled to make a beautiful floating garden. I have already posted on Yahoo Answers with no luck, and my Mum, my sister and I have been going barmy tonight trying to remember the name, or maybe even find some to buy online.
              hi yes i remember,i have been looking every where for these,my nan used to buy them for my sister and i back in the 70s and 80s,cant find them anywhere if you come across any please please let me know and i will do the same,i keep telling my children about them i think they think im making it up now,thanks for letting me know there are others still out there x jayne

Comment

I used to get mine from a joke shop. And they sold chinese shells that you dropped into water and after a while they'd open up and paper flowers would float up out of them. Been trying to find them with no success. Anyone know if they're still available?

Comment

I seem to recall those paper flowers, never bought any though.

Comment

Never thought I would find anyone who remembered these!

I used to buy them in a pack of 6 - but they were encased in a real shell! The shell was like a tiny clam shell with a "water flower" inside that floated up when you had soaked it in a tumbler of water - they were sealed with a little band of paper with Chinese writing on!

I used to buy them from a delightful little shop where you went down a spiral staircase into the cellar and it was in Ipswich, oh the lovely little things you could buy in there in about 1974? Bet no one remembers the shop? Anyone out there from Ipswich?

Comment

I remember Stocking Fillers selling them in the early 1990s.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by FLYING SAUCER View Post
                        Never thought I would find anyone who remembered these!

I used to buy them in a pack of 6 - but they were encased in a real shell!

Yes, I remember those - I was telling my daughter about them the other day. I got mine when I was on holiday in Devon when I was a kid. They were great fun.
                        Last edited by Heather74; 24-03-2010, 23:56. Reason: fixing quote box.

Comment

Did you have any luck with these?
                          I remember my sister got some at a Japanese day at her school in Sydney in the mid 70s
                          i thought my little daughter would love them!

Comment

I have been desperate looking for these for years, especially in the shell! I teach French, and each year we read Proust's famous passage where he uses the metaphor of those Japanese flowers unfurling in water to describe how his childhood memories come back after dipping a Madeleine into a cup of tea. How I have wanted to bring in the Japanese flowers to show them what it is. They are too young to have ever known them.

If anyone knows of a source, I'd be so grateful to know!

Comment

Girls an Guys!

I have a good new!! I FIND THEM FOR U

In japanese they are call 水中花

I find a web site that sell them ! here --- > http://www.toy-toraya.com/toys/no6113cm-1.html

I am still looking them on ebay as will be easier to pay for them and shipping !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X