Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 1970s Kids show, two kids on the run from police

Help, been driving me crazy for years this one:
    1970s show, on about the same time as Beachcombers.
    Was either Canadian or Australian.
    Two kids go on the run from the police after their uncle gets accidentally shot and the boy thinks he is going to prison for it.
    They spend the whole series on the run from the police, each episode reminded me of Lassie, they met new people each time, until it finally got resolved and the uncle etc was ok. I think their dad was helping the police track them but I can't remember what it was!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help! 1970s Kids show, two kids on the run from police

Catch Kandy?? he doesnt get shot tho so not sure if this is the one?
    Catch Kandy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
      Catch Kandy?? he doesnt get shot tho so not sure if this is the one?
      Catch Kandy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      You beat me to it. Catch Kandy was the first thing i thought of when i read the thread title.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

OMG!!! I haven't checked the link yet but it definitely
        rings a bell - damn that was like 30 years ago but that
        lil bell is ringing! THanks!!! Checking link now..

Comment

Yep! That's the one! Ok so there wasnt a shooting but I think at the end there was a gun involved somewhere, but hey, it was like 33 years ago and thats all I could remember!!!
          from your link:"uncle, however, invariably maltreats them and this ultimately incites Catch to strike out with a frying pan, causing his uncle to fall and knock himself unconscious. Believing he has killed his uncle, Catch and his sister go on the run"
          Thanks so much for finding it!!!
          Adrian.

Comment

Catch Candy early 70s lunch programme

I recall this early 70s Oz programme. About a boy who had run away from home (surname Candy presumably) and then police, family, private investigators, etc. try to catch him. I only saw it occasionally when I was off school I think (that wasn't very often). Can anyone supply more info.
            Just who was Soft Mick?

Comment

Re: Catch Candy early 70s lunch programme

I remember Catch Candy! The boy in the programme was nicknamed "Catch" because he was great at baseball (or something similar), he had a (twin?) sister and they were quite well-to-do. For some reason they were orphaned and living with their uncle, but there was some sort of accident and Catch believed he had accidentally killed his uncle. Convinced he would be done for murder, he and his sister went on the run together. In fact the uncle wasn't dead at all, and he launched a big public campaign/police hunt to find the missing children and bring them safely home. The whole country was on the lookout for the Candy children, hence lots of adventures going into hiding and dodging the authorities. They knew the world was looking for them, and that they were in the news, but what they didn't know was that their uncle was safe and sound - they thought they were being pursued as fugitives!
              I have absolutely no idea how it all ended, if indeed it ever did. I do remember the first few lines of the theme song-
              "Once there was an adventure boy, Catch Candy was his name
              How he loved to play [baseball/ballgames], he dreamed of ball game fame
              But then life changed and Catch believed he'd done his uncle harm
              Now he and [Kate?] must hide away, safe from [??????] alarm "

That any help?

Comment

Its spelt Catch Kandy, merged with a thread so you can read a little more about it.
                Heather

Comment

Little Gems - Catch Kandy

Comment

There once was an adventure boy Catch Kandy was his name, all ball games were his pride and joy, he dreamed of ball game fame. He had a mate called Kate and he thought he had killed his Uncle so he and Kate ran away and lived in a garden I think. Australian, very early 70s.

Comment

It was on Saturday morning's in the UK.

Comment

Hi, I'm in Sydney and Catch Kandy was my favourite show as a 7 year old. I saw it a couple of times after the initial run in 1973 but alas it has been just a rosy memory ever since. I have managed to find one episode (the opening one) and have uploaded it to youtube along with a little information about the series. Seeing this one episode again was great because of the memories and imagery that instantly flooded back. The memory of Catch's uncle slipping on a skate and falling (Catch thinks he is dead) has been embedded in my brain for 40 odd years and it was just like I remember! It was also wonderful to realise that it was filmed only a short distance from where I live and I realised I had actually driven past "Catch Kandy's house" many times without knowing! I would love to hear from more people who remember this show and hopefully stir up some commercial interest. The film prints are just sitting at the National Film and Sound Archive waiting for someone to put them on dvd! If there is interest in the UK then perhaps one of the distributors like Simply Home Entertainment or Network can take it up.

Somewhere also I have three signed photographs of the cast - I was a massive fan for sure! I will try to find them and scan them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5l3sQY2nuw

Comment

Working...
                        X