• Show
Clear All

• Your top 10 Arcade games

Mine are here:
    YouTube - My Top Arcade Games A-Z Prt1
    YouTube - My Top Arcade Games A-Z Prt2 Fighting
    sigpic

Re: Your top 10 Arcade games

There was only really one arcade game for me back in the 80's. It was 'Phoenix' and I saw myself as a bit of an expert at it. I also liked playing Galaxian and Astro Wars but they weren't a patch on my beloved Phoenix.

I'm no longer into computer games, the only stuff I play now is word puzzles. I feel that in modern games that gameplay has been sacrificed for the sake of trendy graphics. Like everything else, the passage of time has ruined it imo.
    Last edited by Kiop; 14-06-2009, 10:29. Reason: Correcting typos
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Back then I was a dab hand at Asteroid, which was definitely my favourite.
      Preferred over Galaxian etc.

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
      I feel that in modern games that gameplay has been sacrificed for the sake of trendy graphics. Like everything else, the passage of time has ruined it imo.
      Agreed. Getting older and not having the reflexes of my youth has not helped either, but I despise "strategy" games which depend on how fast you can work a mouse/keypad etc.

Desert Rats for the Spectrum.
      Civilization version 1.
      Empire: wargame of the Century.
      The Perfect General
      Panzer General
      Combat Mission: Beyond Normandy.
      X-Com

The old ones... some of which I still play.
      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

I've not really played many arcade games but the one I have to mention, and I apologise for being very unoriginal but its Street Fighter 2. I loved this game when I was a kid, whether it was home console or arcade I absolutely loved everything about it. I remember playing it a good few times in the arcades and although I admit I wasn't very good at it, it still kept me coming back for more.

A few others off the top of my head are Tekken and Tekken 2, the latter of which I remember playing at a service station stop on a school trip. I had just got my Playstation and had wanted Tekken 2 so much like you wouldn't believe. Playing Tekken 2 that day in the mini-arcade made me want the damn thing even more, it was brilliant at the time.

Comment

80's my fav was Gorf (cos it was one game you could actually FINISH in the arcade!) and each level was a 'different' style.

Also Commando...fab top-bottom scroller but AGONY on your thumb after a while

Phoenix, Galaxian, Scramble, Crystal Castles

Then came the Mega Drive and wow! Saw Desert Strike on demo in Curry's shop window...had to have it. EA Hockey fab, as was/is Landstalker (thanks to ebay I'm playing it again now!)

Then a mate took me to his workplace (1993) & showed me his new PC, with Doom on it..OMG!

ps anyone know where I can get a new power pack/cable for my Atart 2600 'woody'?
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
            80's my fav was Gorf (cos it was one game you could actually FINISH in the arcade!) and each level was a 'different' style.

Also Commando...fab top-bottom scroller but AGONY on your thumb after a while

Phoenix, Galaxian, Scramble, Crystal Castles

Then came the Mega Drive and wow! Saw Desert Strike on demo in Curry's shop window...had to have it. EA Hockey fab, as was/is Landstalker (thanks to ebay I'm playing it again now!)

Then a mate took me to his workplace (1993) & showed me his new PC, with Doom on it..OMG!

ps anyone know where I can get a new power pack/cable for my Atart 2600 'woody'?
            Let's go Retro! - Atari 2600 Woody (Powered by CubeCart)

Retro Computer Museum Vintage System Information

PSU, S/MODE AC/DC 15W 9V - 3A-161DA09 - STONTRONICS

Maplin > Power Supply Adaptors

Is this of any help?

Comment

Hard Drivin'
              YouTube - Hard Drivin' Gameplay for Arcade
              Quick... Run... Hide... Here comes Dave Stewart, walking up the drive, with that look in his eye!

Comment

Wasn't a big Arcade game buff (wasn't very good and didn't have the money to keep feeding them). The few I did play were Galaxian, Space invaders, Battlezone, Ghosts & goblins, Kung fu master and Green beret. The one I was best at was 1942. We had one in the canteen at the Tesco I worked at and I had the top score until they changed it for Ghosts and goblins.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Loved wonder boy, Mr Wardener, Shinobi and that very early eighties 4 level platform Kung-fu game. I think it was called Kung-fu or something similar. With a boss at the end of each level, Many 10p coins went in that one.

Comment

The last game sounds like Kung-Fu Master.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Any of these look familiar?

Last edited by Soul; 28-06-2009, 13:28.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeh thats the kung fu game, loved it! shinobi too!

Comment

Wonder boy, R- type, Nemesis

Comment

I always loved Bubble Bobble.
                            Tron was cool but got very hard. Firefox was good as it used laser discs like Dragons Lair which I was impressively bad at but I loved watching people play.
                            Dig Dug was fun and I always enjoyed Bezerk (Get the intruder)
                            Laugh and the world laughs with you.
                            But do it all the time and they will lock you away.
                            sigpic

Comment

There are emulators that play all those arcade games for your pc.
                              You can get all those favourite games into one compiled game emulator.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X