No announcement yet.

What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Events Stopped You in Your Tracks!

Munich '72 was the first such event I can recall...
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

I can't recall anything really stopping me in my tracks exactly, but the murder of Lord Mountbatten, his grandson and two other people shocked me. I was at work and a co-worker told me the news. Shortly afterwards, he again told me that 18 British soldiers had been killed and he heard both reports on the radio. I can't say exactly why, but those two events, coming so close together, have really stuck in my mind.

Comment

Live Aid in 1985
        sigpic
        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Bolan, Elvis and Moon all dying in quick succession! :cry:

Comment

In how short a period did they die.

Moon who is he.

For me freddy mercury and kenny everett both of the same disease and so young.

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            bolan, elvis and moon all dying in quick succession! :cry:
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The one thing that stopped me in my path more than any other was learning of Princes Diana's passing - it just seems like yesterday, not nearly 20 years since (and to think too the Internet was "only just" being known about then) in 1997

Upon hearing about poor Jill Dando being shot dead was another event that stopped me in my tracks in 1999 and Linda McCartney dying in 1999 also too

80sChav

Comment

22nd November 1990. Margaret Thatcher resigned. There had been ripples of discontent in the Conservative Party for a while. When it happened, it was so sudden. Even her staunch followers were shocked how fast she went. I well remember stepping outside the office where I worked, the sun was shining, and everybody was walking around has if an almighty weight had been taken off their shoulders.
                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I remember one of my teachers describing the leadership vote as "history in the making".
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    In how short a period did they die.

Moon who is he.

For me freddy mercury and kenny everett both of the same disease and so young.
                    Keith Moon of The 'Oo - they actually didn't die that close but, to my young mind, they seemed to die in quick succession, at mid-'77 to late '78... :cry:

Elvis - August 16, 1977
                    Bolan - 16 September 1977
                    Moon - 7 September 1978

Comment

Bing Crosby also died in late 1977.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

True!

Comment

Who killed Jill Dando? does anyone know?

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

The passing of Princes Diana in 1997 - when I was 20/21 and signing the Condolance Book at my LocalTown Hall and as well as I have said about Jill Dando and Linda McCartney both in 1999 - there was 9/11 in 2001 which I can not believe is 16 years back and Saddam Husseiin being captured in 2003, though these are both just slightly outside the 1960s-1990s era I know that particulary sticks out as that ewra was my best Football-ing time when I had the best run of my veryun-pro Career

Another one just after and into the early noughties was when that Man who was driving his Car feel-asleep in it on the M62 and his Car fell promptly from the Bridge and derailed a Train on the line below.Though not many people may recall this - unless you was Northern at the time, as at the time it made masive news as I am sure it did all round, but more so as at that time iut was like 30/45 from where I lived then - if that

80sChav

Comment

Also 9-11 especially

If you listen to the emergency services radio transmissions you'll see how harrowing it is

The families & relatives understandably didn't want the tapes in the public domain but it shows us how brave the emergency personal were
                              sigpic
                              Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

The Daily Mail at the time released a tribute to the 343 (though I am sure there were more) FDNY firefighters as a two page spread showing the photo's of each person alongside their name & rank
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X