The School Féte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The School Féte

My junior school always put on a great event in the summer and there was usually a special guest to open it; an actor, or singer or football player. I would help my dad with the 'banging-the-nail-in' stall, (quite what Health & Safety would make of that these days, I dread to think), but it was the 'throwing-the-sponge-at-a-teacher' stall where you queued up for ages!

Anyone else have memories of spring and summer fétes? Especially from the 70s and 80s.

Re: The School Féte

A few things I remember at school fetes was

Tins and Bottles stall match a raffle ticket number and you get the prize.Usually ended up with a tin of peas or something

Toiletries stall
    Home made cakes and biscuits stall
    Roll a penny stall

Comment

I don't think we ever had any at the schools I went to. I may be wrong, but I certainly can't recall any.
      Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

A fete worse than death at my old school

Comment

Originally posted by zip55 View Post
          A fete worse than death at my old school
          Groans at the pun

Comment

We had one in the summer at High school.There was a local estate which the school owned.It was used for sports,orienteering etc.The main buliding was used when my mum was there for school shows etc.We used to go to the dreaded Cleland every 2 weeks for sports,everyone loathed the cold showers.During the summer there was a fete,there were the usual stalls,I did one that involved a baby bath,I think.It always smelt strongly of fresh cut grass and horses,as you could get ride on a horse there.Usual stalls,tombola,white elephant,smack the teacher in the face with a wet sponge,beat the goalie etc

At primary we had a fun day,we devised our own games and stallls and the prizes were sweets and stickers!

tulip

Comment

I remember the sixth form having a 'rag day' once with stalls and challenges and stuff. Does that count?
              Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

My junior school had a fete every year. A week or so before it, a couple of pupils would come round the classrooms asking if anyone wanted to put their name down for a 15-minute stint in the stocks on the wet sponges stall. I always volunteered for this, guess that was just the way I was wired, but I certainly wasn't alone. On the day itself, I remember going round the fete, seeing if there were any toy cars on the white elephant stall and then making my way to the Wet Sponges for my turn in the stocks.
                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

We're not allowed to have homemade cakes at the school fete anymore. Health & Stupidity forbids it.
                  "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I don't think we ever had any at school, but I was a stalwart at the ones held at the church along the road. I loved the tombola, a prize for any number ending in a 0 or a 5. You'd always come away with a set of lavender bath salts or some old grannie's necklace, or one of those little glass ornaments discussed in the ornaments thread, but you loved them.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

There was a tradition every year in my junior school in which a 'rose queen' was elected (from what I remember, it was always ome afro-carribean girl) and would be 'crowned' on the day of the school fete (Don't remember her having any special status (like the proberbial USA high school quarterback/ team captain/head cheeleader) and would be forced (probably against her own free will) to be part of The Stretford Pageant every summer.
                      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                        My junior school always put on a great event in the summer and there was usually a special guest to open it; an actor, or singer or football player. I would help my dad with the 'banging-the-nail-in' stall, (quite what Health & Safety would make of that these days, I dread to think), but it was the 'throwing-the-sponge-at-a-teacher' stall where you queued up for ages!

Anyone else have memories of spring and summer fétes? Especially from the 70s and 80s.

We only ever had one - I recall in Primary and it was either Year 5 or 6 (in new Currency) and we all got promised (an by coincidence we was booked on a trip to the National Railway Museum in Yor - before it became really famous), but back to what i was saying at this Autumn fate we was all promised to help give food parcels out the an old persons complex nearly next door (and that we'd all gottan a chance) and as a kid who loved caring and doing (or wanting to do Children In Need things) I never got that chance just as is the abiding memory of being too ill at a similar time of that year for the NRM Trip!!

80sChav

Comment

I was thinking whether the School fête was the same thing as the jumble sale that we had and all that - there was something during our last week at Junior school (the end of Year 6 as it would have been know by) where we threw sponges at a teacher, and so that could have been our school fête for that year.
                          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I was in Infants or Junior School when our fête was opened by the actor Edward Woodward!
                            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

You should have had him for Maths lessons as an equalizer.

(Sorry...)
                              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                              X