X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any "Moon Zero Two" fans out there?

Hi everyone,
    last night channel GO screened the 1969 Hammer movie "Moon Zero Two"
    the last time i saw this dull British space western was on an ITV movie mattiee slot about 25 years go.
    It hasn't improved but it does have two redeeming features. The costume/production design and Catherine Schell (who later played Maya in space 1999). Three redeeming features if you count Bernard Bresslaw!

To say that this film is "very 60s looking" is a slight understatement. Lots of colourful shiny plastic, tight jump suits, go go dancers, bars that serve drinks called Moon Flower and extras looking like they are waiting around for Gerry Anderson to create UFO.

Yet as you chuckle and smirk your way through the movie you gradually begin to realise that those space suits don't look half bad especially when Catherine Schell is wearing one. Then a moon transport vehicle appears (the moon bug) looking like an metal hot dog on donut wheels and your opinion of this movie totally turns around. you are besotted! Moon Zero Two is pure genius. Forget about that nonsense Stanley Kubrick made. Moon Zero Two is the genuine article.

The presence of Bernard Bresslaw is slightly disconcerting. why? because you imagine at minute the merry Carry On team are going to crash the moonbase.

In fact it would of made for a more interesting movie. I don't think theres ever been a Carry On up the moon or a Carry On in space. Just imagine. Barbara winsdor and Joan Sims in those space suits, Sid and Bernard up to some mischief and Kenneth Williams as some snooty moon official.

heres a website that goes into detail about the movie with photos of the wonderful moon bug and spacesuits

Moon Zero Two Space Helmet
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: Any "Moon Zero Two" fans out there?

eco, this is so strange. I was only thinking about this movie the other day! I loved it at the time - I especially recall the kind of 'lazy trumpet' sound used in some of the score.

Would love to see it again.

EDIT: That's a fascinating site you linked to.
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 22-11-2009, 00:48.

Comment

Thanks Marine Boy
      well here in Australia digital channel Go are screening exploitation double bills every saturday night. they started with some blaxploitation movies, Shaft, Superfly and Cleopatra Jones.
      last saturday they showed women in prison movie The big doll house and Raquel welch in Flare Up
      Ecofugal: Flare Up

This week it was Moon Zero two followed by One Million Years BC.
      maybe they should turn it into Raquel Welch and show Fathom!

yes that Moon Zero two trumpet is still ringing in my ears

I agree that model site is awesome
      David Sisson Models
      Last edited by ecofugal; 22-11-2009, 01:03.
      My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

I saw Moon Zero Two a good few years ago in a SF retro festival (just before our last local independant cinema was taken over by a chain and became multi-plex)

What I remember mainly is the policewomans tight little shorts and thigh boots with built in holsters for her blasters
        hubba hubba

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          I saw Moon Zero Two a good few years ago in a SF retro festival (just before our last local independant cinema was taken over by a chain and became multi-plex)

What I remember mainly is the policewomans tight little shorts and thigh boots with built in holsters for her blasters
          hubba hubba
          Yes its hard to forget that outfit. The actress wearing it is Adrienne Corri who later played the wife who was attacked in A Clockwork Orange.

two other UK space movies of 1969 were Zeta one and journey to the far side of the sun.

Zeta one
          CosmoBells: Zeta One
          My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Been trying to find a photo of her in the outfit but no joy...
            I appreciate this was technically a sixties film but it was shown in London and nowhere else for months before it went out (in 1970 ) to rest of UK

Comment

moon zero tube (complete version is on u tube) but it looks rather dated.I have journey to the far side of the sun.That's rather better in my opinon.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                Been trying to find a photo of her in the outfit but no joy...
                I appreciate this was technically a sixties film but it was shown in London and nowhere else for months before it went out (in 1970 ) to rest of UK
                thats a great poster. found this photo
                Constabulary

My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                  moon zero tube (complete version is on u tube) but it looks rather dated.I have journey to the far side of the sun.That's rather better in my opinon.
                  I agree. From what i remember of "journey to the far side of the sun" its a far better movie but then again love is irrational
                  My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

I haven't seen Moon Zero Two in a very long time. It is, as others have said, very 1960s, but imo none the worse for that. The title song is very funky and the animated opening is great fun. If we ever get moon colonies, this is how it should be!

I think the first time I saw it was in the early days of Tiswas, when Chris Tarrant would largely be sitting behind a desk showing cartoons and a film, usually split over 2 weeks. Remember the scene where our two heroes find that guy standing stock still on the Moon's surface in a spacesuit and inside the visor of his helmet is a skull?

Comment

It's worth remembering that Corri was pushing 40 when she starred in Moon Zero Two, and, my goodness, she's a fine sight in that uniform, and could have arrested me anytime. Sadly, she passed away a few months ago. Rip Adrienne Corri.

Comment

I remember the movie. It looked great I thought, but the story was pretty basic. Somewhat along the lines of the later Star Cops shows.
                        My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                        X