Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportpax Bags

Default Sportpax Bags

Does anyone remember Sportpax bags?

They were plastic draw string bags, in a range of colours including red, orange, green and blue. There was a design printed on one side: a footballer or swimmer. They were popular at my primary school, loads of kids there had one. I had one in my very first year there (1976/77 academic year): a red one with a footballer on. It only lasted me a year before it wore out, I never had another one after that (I had a satchel instead to replace it). Some used theirs for PE / swim kit, but I used the only one I ever had as a general school bag to take my lunch box to school, just like my satchel that replaced it.

That said, when I was there with my family at the mayfair May 1978 or 1979, those bags were on sale and my grandmother asked me if I wanted one to put my swimming kit in. I said "no". Looking back I don't know why I didn't want one, I suppose it's because I then had my satchel. Of course, if I'd said "yes please", it would have been my second one I'd ever had (my then long gone red footballer one having been my first as previously mentioned), in which case I'd probably have chosen a different colour to red.

Who else remembers these bags? Who else had at least one? How many did you get through during your school life?

Default Re: Sportpax Bags

Didn't every kid have one of these in the 70's? Mine was fluorecent orange with a swimmer I think. We bought them at school. A chap would come in once in a while, with a selection.
    I must of had more than one, and your trunks would go mouldy if you left them in there and forgot about them

I had totally forgot about those bags. We had them at junior school. They had a really really strong smell. Mine was like a lime green colour with a swimmer on but i think i had a new one each year so prob went through 4 in my junior school years
    Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Id need a pic of them to lnow if i had one ive an image in my head of one but not sure if its one of these bags.

Ill describe what i think it is is it a bag with a very long strap u put round ur neck if so i had a blue one.
    THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HO

Picture one of those drawstring carrier bags you get from JD Sports and imagine it made of fluorescent rubber, thats it!

My Primary School made a weak attempt to bring hese bags in with the School Name on - thankfully it did'nt work as an idea one iota!! Though I can still recall them as they where new yesterday - no doubts though I'd plump for the J.D Bag (in the 80s if they existed) and 90s and now 10 times from 10!!

80sChav

Digging up an old thread as I've found this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 360_c168736bd4cee863fb3d16aa1eea33b8.jpg  

Yay!! That's the one

I remember a few people at my primary school had those in the early 1980s. There were a few different designs IIRC.
    The Trickster On The Roof