Glue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glue

Does anyone remember Affixofix Glue? Not that I'm into sniffing glue or anything but it smelt just like almond, really nice. It came in a small round pale blue and white tub. Inside the lid was a little spatula that you used to get the white coloured glue paste out of the tub. It was fab stuff and my mum alway bought it for us to do our paper gluing with as it didn't spill and wasn't messy.

Re: Glue

Not the name, but there is an elusive memory associated with the smell. I'll leave my subconscious to work on that.

I could wax nostalgic on the adhesives of my childhood, their smells and their quirky natures compared to modern glues.
    Young people today, they don't know how lucky they are...

Balsa cement drying in lumps faster than you could stick it to the bits of balsa you were trying to turn into a rubber-powered aeroplane, for example.
    Or the bottle of gum with the angled rubber spreader on top with which I stuck tea and cigarettte cards into their albums at my grandmother's house, and always too much or too little coming out.
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Never saw affixofix, my schools glue came in 5 varieties,

PVA, the white stuff that smells sickly sweet and dries on the brush like steel
      Gloy came in some triangle bottle with a rubbish applicator on the top
      Copydex Smelt fishy but we used to smear it on our hands and peel it off like skin to gross out the girls
      Cowgum very solventy but we found that it could be shaped when tacky into very bouncy rubber balls
      Pritt always to be found in the teachers desk top drawer

Comment

Oh goodness! I'd forgotten about the balsa cement and the triangular topped glue. I think the triangular topped one was called Gloy (as mentioned in second reply) the plastic bottle was also triangular if I remember correctly but as you say was extremely messy - too little & it didn't stick, too much and everything stuck together! I think some of the other glues mentioned in reply two such as Pritt were after my time as a child because I remember them being about in my later teens and early work days. Cow Gum may have been around but I seem to think it was more of a commercial item that came in a large tin than a little plastic pot for home use.
        Not forgetting the home made flour and water paste!!!

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
        Not the name, but there is an elusive memory associated with the smell. I'll leave my subconscious to work on that.

I could wax nostalgic on the adhesives of my childhood, their smells and their quirky natures compared to modern glues.
        Young people today, they don't know how lucky they are...

Balsa cement drying in lumps faster than you could stick it to the bits of balsa you were trying to turn into a rubber-powered aeroplane, for example.
        Or the bottle of gum with the angled rubber spreader on top with which I stuck tea and cigarettte cards into their albums at my grandmother's house, and always too much or too little coming out.

Comment

I remember putting together model planes with polystyrene cement that smelt like garlic. It was hard to join 2 pieces without the glue oozing out of the join & making a mess.

Also it was easy to get it on my fingers & form a crusty film that would peel off when it dried.

I remember a friend having a bottle of Golden Gum, very similar to Gloy Paste.

My Dad would occasionally used Araldite for DIY, which seemed strange coming in 2 tubes. I've hard that it they were mixed in 1 you never would have set solid even when sealed.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I do remember the almond smelling glue in the pale blue plastic lidded pot! It was the same size as a drum of that smokers toothpaste Eucryl? Similar packing! The smell was delightful, I wonder how many hungry kids had a taste?

Who remembers the glue used in middle school 1974ish that used to come in squeezy cylinders (a bit like old washing up liquid bottles) it was white and had, in purple, it's name DUFIX ?

Comment

Flour and water paste served me well for many years.
              I used to make lots of scrapbooks and always used it for sticking in pics.
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Flour and water paste thats what our Nan use to make us for our scrapbooks! many a happy hour we spent cutting up old birthday/ Christmas cards up.
                Another thing I loved doing was cutting up old catalogues and making up a family and their home from all the different departments.
                I guess in a way I cut out everything I would have liked to own, bed room furniture, toys, bit tv's ,outside fun and games etc.

Happy times!

Tho best thing about school glue in the white squirty bottles was spreading it all over your hands and spending the afternoon peeling it all off again!
                Heather

Comment

I did exactly the same sort of thing in my scrapbooks, Heather.
                  I also used to make up names and write stories about the catalogue pic people.

My other great love was collecting pics of horses and other animals and sticking them in scrapbooks or on my bedroom wall ( I used sellotape for the wall ).
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Copydex...I too loved to smear it on my hands and peel it off. I loved the stripey pot and the red lid with a brush on it. I've only remembered the glue in the triangular bottle from these posts. Couldn't remember its name but it was hopeless to get the glue out. Funny little red, angled spready thing on top.
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

We were always getting told off at Primary for painting glue on our hands, letting it dry and the peeling it off. It was brilliant. I can still smell it now in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                        Flour and water paste thats what our Nan use to make us for our scrapbooks! many a happy hour we spent cutting up old birthday/ Christmas cards up.
                        Another thing I loved doing was cutting up old catalogues and making up a family and their home from all the different departments.
                        I guess in a way I cut out everything I would have liked to own, bed room furniture, toys, bit tv's ,outside fun and games etc.

Happy times!

Tho best thing about school glue in the white squirty bottles was spreading it all over your hands and spending the afternoon peeling it all off again!
                        i bet the teachers where not to happy though.
                        bad gitl heather.

i can still remmber the smell of it.
                        very strong smell.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I also remember using glue in a long transparent tube-type thing like a big pen with possibly a sponge in the end. The glue was also transparent. Might have been made by UHU
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            I also remember using glue in a long transparent tube-type thing like a big pen with possibly a sponge in the end. The glue was also transparent. Might have been made by UHU
                            You can still get those, they are as rubbish now as they were back then, the sponge bit falls off after a few uses. Very frustrating to use I find. You end up screwing the top off and tipping the glue out!
                            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                              You can still get those, they are as rubbish now as they were back then, the sponge bit falls off after a few uses. Very frustrating to use I find. You end up screwing the top off and tipping the glue out!
                              Can you remember the glue pens that had a sort of hard plastic nib on the end that you pressed down on what you wanted to glue and a spot of the glue came out?
                              Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Working...
                              X